Falcons coach Mike Smith is in favor of new OT rule

Falcons coach Mike Smith is in favor of new OT rule

9:56 am March 24, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

BIRDLAND – Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith is in favor of the new modified sudden death overtime rule that was passed at the league meetings on Tuesday in Orlando.

After having breakfast with the assembled writers in Orlando Wednesday morning, Smith was a guest with Randy Cross and Peter King on Sirius Radio.

“I really like the idea that we kept the element of sudden death in play,” Smith said on the Opening Drive show. “I’m real excited that you’re not going to lose a ball game by a team going down and kicking a field goal.

“I think ultimately, with the game of football the idea is to score touchdowns. If you go down and score a touchdown in sudden death, then you win. If you don’t, the other team has an opportunity to go in and score. There is a chance that both teams are going to get the football and I really like that.”

Cross asked Smith about the rule change from his perspective as a defensive-minded coach.

“I really think that the rule is going to add some excitement to the game,” Smith said. “You just don’t want to lose a football game (on a field goal). . .if you want to win right away, you have to go down and score a touchdown.”

New Orleans coach Sean Payton doesn't like the modified sudden death rule.

welcomes the additional layer of strategy that will be involved with the new rule.

“We as coaches are getting evaluated every Monday,” Smith said. “I don’t think this is really going to add that much to it. . .It is new. There will be a learning curve. The decisions that we are making at the end of the game will be amplified.”

The committee wanted to take the randomness of the coin toss out the overtime picture. Smith doesn’t believe there will be a “Marty Mornhiweg” part of the rule. Mornhiweg elected to kickoff in overtime when he was head coach of the Detroit Lions.

“I think if you win the toss, you’re going to take the ball and you’re going to go down and have the mindset that we’re going to put it in the endzone, game over,” Smith said.

There has been some displeasure with the rule change in the coaching ranks. King cited an interview he’d just completed with New Orleans coach Sean Payton, who contended the owners slipped this rule change in through the backdoor.

“There has been some discussion among coaches and there are a number of proposals that have come out,” Smith said. “But I really think this improves the overtime situation that we’ve had (since 1974). This is an improvement. As time goes on we are always trying to improve our game and trying to adjust the rules. . . I’m looking forward to seeing how this one work outs.”

Thanks for posting. I heard this on Sirius this morning. I couldn't remember the exact quotes though. I posted this brief synopsis on a different thread but I thought it was pretty arrogant of Payton to basically call out Goodell for seemingly slip in the vote a day early. I haven't heard this from any other coach or GM. I hope the whole Lombardi thing did go to his head and he now thinks he can operate mostly off a bunch of rusty bolts and spare parts.

For as many times as Ledbetter mentions Payton, he doesn't have any quotes or anything to back up the fact that Payton doesn't like the rule. I'm not trying to defend him, but I would at least like to see some sort of statement so that I can call him a pansy or something...

For as many times as Ledbetter mentions Payton, he doesn't have any quotes or anything to back up the fact that Payton doesn't like the rule. I'm not trying to defend him, but I would at least like to see some sort of statement so that I can call him a pansy or something...

I heard it this morning on Sirius NFL The Opening Drive.

Sean Payton keeps crying about overtime rule

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2010 9:53 AM ET

In the wake of his team's first Super Bowl title, Saints Sean Payton has been a fairly gracious winner. In the wake of the NFL's decision to change the overtime rule in the postseason, Payton is coming off as a sore loser.

In an interview with Peter King of Sirius NFL Radio, Payton said he's "not a big fan" of the new rule, complaining that he's "gonna have to spend a half an hour explaining it to my wife or any fan."

Really?

It's not that complicated. Sure, a casual, drive-by NFL fan might not understand it, and a casual, drive-by NFL fans might have more questions than the hard-core follower who'll apply common sense to s rule that, put simply, prevents a team from winning by receiving the opening kickoff and scoring only a field goal. Otherwise, overtime is the same.

Payton also seemed to imply, as an astute reader characterized it, that the owners "shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects." Indeed, Payton claimed that a handful of the 28 owners who voted for the change "weren't ready and prepared," and that it was "perfect timing if trying to push this bill in." (Payton presumably was referring in part to Saints owner Tom Benson, who voted in favor of the rule.)

Frankly, we don't see much of a difference between Payton's comments and last week's inflammatory coin-flip statement from Jets owner Woody Johnson. Though Johnson's mistrust of the league office came through more clearly, Payton is essentially claiming that dirty pool was played -- that the league took advantage of some owners who presumably would have relied on their coaches for a recommendation, and whose coaches would have recommended a vote of "no," possibly with a four-letter word preceding it.

Regardless of whether Payton is questioning the integrity of the league office, Payton would be wise to appreciate his place in the greater scheme of things. Unless and until he buys a franchise, he remains merely an employee, and not one of the persons with the privilege of making the rules. That remains a function of the league office and the owners, and coaches like Payton would be wise to realize that his presence at the annual meetings doesn't give him any direct say over the decisions that his boss and 31 colleagues will make, or the procedures that they'll use to do so.

of course sean payton wouldnt like it..i am not surprised by that.

Meh. They changed it for Bret Farve. (We have the unofficial Tom Brady rule, why not call it the Bret Farve rule?) My guess is the Vikings owner knew it was going to be voted in-favor-of, so he voted against it. That way they wouldn't be seen as whiners due to losing the NFCCG in OT.

I'm also of the opinion they changed it to spite the Saints.

The reasoning probably went, "Well, if the Saints won a SB, then something's wrong. Rule change!" :D

Meh. They changed it for Bret Farve. (We have the unofficial Tom Brady rule, why not call it the Bret Farve rule?) My guess is the Vikings owner knew it was going to be voted in-favor-of, so he voted against it. That way they wouldn't be seen as whiners due to losing the NFCCG in OT.

I'm also of the opinion they changed it to spite the Saints.

The reasoning probably went, "Well, if the Saints won a SB, then something's wrong. Rule change!" :D

What's crazy is that the Vikings voted against the rule change.