Just for discussion sake, let's say that Pouncy is in fact the guy

Couldn't we trade down into the early second round and pick up maybe another second round pick for our #19 and still get Pouncy if that is what we intend to do? I am just throwing this out there as a hypothetical. There are many, many more of you on here that follow all of the various draft scenerios a lot more than I do, but this was just a thought as I was reading the 3.0 mock in the ajc. I haven't taken the time to research the various teams' needs drafting below us so I don't know the odds of Pouncy being taken in the first round if we don't take him at #19. Just seems to me that if he is not that hot of a comodity to any of the teams below us, we could trade out of #19 and get an early 2nd rounder and some other semi-early selection and still take him if we in fact are serious about taking a center in the first round.

What is the general thought on this? This may be on the board somewhere, but I am just too lazy to look this morning.

Edited by Elmer Fudd Gantry

I think that is a very real scenario. And one I think that may be pursued. I realize that the pass rush is something to be addressed. But I also think that if there is ANY reservations to the protection of out FRANCHISE QB, then we need to take steps to protect him.

McClure has been a quietly efficient player for us for many years. And regrettably, he will not last forever. So a replacement, a young replacement is needed. Romberg is her to fill in if McClure needs a breather or gets dinged. He is not the long term solution. I realize also that this board is screaming for a Pass Rushing OLB. We can get one of those in rounds two or three. Notice where we have drafted LB in the last few years. Been about fourth round or lower.

I think that the board is in 4 factions. The DE or bust crew. The Spoon or bust crew. The WR at all costs crew and then a few like me that think when a bonsfide OL is available to fill potential question marks in the coming years, you fill that hole.

Matt Ryan is being paid HUGE COIN to run the show for us on the field. We need to protect that investment. Lets face it, we fly higher and faster with him.

Been trying to make this point 4 a while now surprised u havent been crucified for bringing it up yet. Our Ends got no pressure because there where no corners there to hold anybody longer than 2 secs. Number 2 our DTs didnt take up any blockers. 3 we didnt blitz much. We need to make a pick that is going make one side of the ball a strength. Selecting a LB in the first is not going turn our defense 2 the Ravens. We still need 2 upgrade Safety DT CORNER and possibly DE.

On the other hand if we draft Oline help like puncey or a Wr Prospect like Tate it will immediatly make our Offense one of the best in the NFC. You alos help your Defense out by scoring more points. Wat alot people are failing to remember is that our Offense came up short in our close losses last year. So improving that area of our team with our first pick and finding quality defensive players later in the draft (there are many ie Rico Mccoy) would definetly put us on the path to the super bowl

The only reason to crucify anybody would be if the 19th was actually burned on Pouncey. I don't know if a trade down is realistic though, simply because it's an uncommon occurrence to begin with, and especially so in a deep draft like this one

How is it SO uncommon? It has happened EVERY year. If a trade UP occurs, a trade down had to have occurred as well... Some teams trade down more than once... If anyone can do it, I believe TD and company can.

Been trying to make this point 4 a while now surprised u havent been crucified for bringing it up yet. Our Ends got no pressure because there where no corners there to hold anybody longer than 2 secs. Number 2 our DTs didnt take up any blockers. 3 we didnt blitz much. We need to make a pick that is going make one side of the ball a strength. Selecting a LB in the first is not going turn our defense 2 the Ravens. We still need 2 upgrade Safety DT CORNER and possibly DE.

On the other hand if we draft Oline help like puncey or a Wr Prospect like Tate it will immediatly make our Offense one of the best in the NFC. You alos help your Defense out by scoring more points. Wat alot people are failing to remember is that our Offense came up short in our close losses last year. So improving that area of our team with our first pick and finding quality defensive players later in the draft (there are many ie Rico Mccoy) would definetly put us on the path to the super bowl

We don't need to upgrade at Corner,DT, or Safety. We are set there. Maybe in the later rounds draft for dept at those positions. But Spoon is great at coverage. Falcons had a problem in pass coverage. Spoon would help out in that area.

The only reason to crucify anybody would be if the 19th was actually burned on Pouncey. I don't know if a trade down is realistic though, simply because it's an uncommon occurrence to begin with, and especially so in a deep draft like this one

Joe, trades happens all the time in the draft. It's not uncommon.

How is it SO uncommon? It has happened EVERY year. If a trade UP occurs, a trade down had to have occurred as well... Some teams trade down more than once... If anyone can do it, I believe TD and company can.

Joe, trades happens all the time in the draft. It's not uncommon.

Two or three first round moves on draft day is considered a lot of action, but with thirty-two two teams involved, I couldn't call it a common occurrence. Also, most first round moves are for a QB, but in this draft there are only two first round quarterbacks (three if you count Tebow, which I don't) and they're probably both gone in the top six picks. Add in the depth of this draft, which means you'll find starter-quality through the third round, and the urgency to trade up goes way down. In short, somebody would have to see their absolutely-must-have guy going at #19 or slightly later, but they're not picking until probably 25-32.

All I'm saying is that the odds of having everything break your way make it very tough to find a first-round trade partner, especially if you're the one looking to trade down. There's nothing I'd like to see better than for the Falcons to find a way to pick up a second, but I think its more likely to happen with a package of later picks than with the first.

I think that is a very real scenario. And one I think that may be pursued. I realize that the pass rush is something to be addressed. But I also think that if there is ANY reservations to the protection of out FRANCHISE QB, then we need to take steps to protect him.

McClure has been a quietly efficient player for us for many years. And regrettably, he will not last forever. So a replacement, a young replacement is needed. Romberg is her to fill in if McClure needs a breather or gets dinged. He is not the long term solution. I realize also that this board is screaming for a Pass Rushing OLB. We can get one of those in rounds two or three. Notice where we have drafted LB in the last few years. Been about fourth round or lower.

I think that the board is in 4 factions. The DE or bust crew. The Spoon or bust crew. The WR at all costs crew and then a few like me that think when a bonsfide OL is available to fill potential question marks in the coming years, you fill that hole.

Matt Ryan is being paid HUGE COIN to run the show for us on the field. We need to protect that investment. Lets face it, we fly higher and faster with him.

You forgot my crew I call myself the very confused crew.

On the one hand I think we need pass rush but I'm not 100% on any of the DE's coming out.

I agree the Weatherspoon faction is large on this board kinda reminds me of the Dorsey faction of which I was part of in 08.

WR well I saw G.Tate mentioned in very early mocks put up on draftscout.com and now thats rolled around again I think we only go there as a BPA pick if OLB or DE picks have been exhausted.

Now the O-line pick and Pouncey could well be the guy as he is versitile and can play guard aswell the reason no one mentions this as a serious pick as I think alot of people on this board can't relate to C/G pick as a serious pick but as you mentioned it is a serious need that at some stagwe needs to be addressed.