19 too high for OLB position?

Dem Birds

I keep hearing OLB isn't a value pick at 19 over all, OLB is not important enough to spend high draft picks on... and so on and so forth. Well, last year some draft experts suggested that OLB Aaron Curry be taken first overall.

I understand that Curry and Spoon are 2 different players with different resumes, but I would expect that even the best OLB wouldn't be a top 5 pick if OLB isn't an important position or if even 19 isn't a value pick. Maybe Spoon isn't worth the 19th pick, that's not what I'm arguing here. Just the simple fact that if an OLB can be taken number 4 in last years draft, why am I hearing 19 isn't a good spot for an OLB and we should wait?

Is it an indictment of this class only? Because it's not the way it sounds when it's put forth by some of the word-smiths here on FalconsLIFE.

Clarification from those who feel this way would be appreciated.

I know college stats don't always translate to the NFL, but they're at least an indicator or bench mark of comparison & potential. You'll notice that Spoon in much fewer games as a starter blows Cushing & Curry's college stats away, especially in tackles. Those guys went 4th & 15th overall. It's obvious that Spoon is a first round OLB. If this draft wasn't so crazy deep in other positions, he'd be top 10 easily. This is just a very unique year. Whoever gets him is getting a steal. I just hope it's us.

Cushing: Ht: 6′2⅞″, Wt: 243 lb, 40: 4.54, Vert: 38 in., Broad: 11′0″, BP: 35 rep

College: Games: 44, Tackles: 178, TFL: 27, Sacks: 8.5, PB: 10, Int: 1

Curry: Ht: 6′1¾″, Wt: 254 lb, 40: 4.52, Vert: 37 in., Broad: 10′4″, BP: 25 rep

College: Games: 51, Tackles: 332, TFL: 45, Sacks: 9.5, PB: 13, Int: 6

Spoon: Ht: 6'1", Wt: 240 lb, 40: 4.52, Vert: 40 in., Broad: 10'3", BP: 34 rep

College: Games: 41, Tackles: 396, TFL: 43, Sacks: 12.5, PB: 17, Int: 4

You can pick up any position at 19 except for P or K, especially when we are drafting for need I don't think you should be looking at the position but at the player.

You have to look at the Positions of greatest need and then the player and what he brings to the team.

Lets examine picking an OLB at 19

Is he an Instant Starter ?

Who does he send to the depth chart?

Is this OLB so good that we consider him a DB, in Pass coverage?

Is this OLB so good that we consider him a DE and MLB in Run Support?

Is this guy so good that we consider him a S when we Blitz ?

Is he so good that he mask over weaknesses of another position ?

If you can honestly say yes to 4 out of 6 of these questions, Draft his Azz

If you answer yes to only 2 out of 6 then draft an O Lineman.

Ice Dem da OG of the MB :lol:

could'nt help it, your vid keeps crakin me up man.

You have to look at the Positions of greatest need and then the player and what he brings to the team.

Lets examine picking an OLB at 19

Is he an Instant Starter ?

Who does he send to the depth chart?

Is this OLB so good that we consider him a DB, in Pass coverage?

Is this OLB so good that we consider him a DE and MLB in Run Support?

Is this guy so good that we consider him a S when we Blitz ?

Is he so good that he mask over weaknesses of another position ?

If you can honestly say yes to 4 out of 6 of these questions, Draft his Azz

If you answer yes to only 2 out of 6 then draft an O Lineman.

Ice Dem da OG of the MB :lol:

could'nt help it, your vid keeps crakin me up man.

yes

Petereson

yes

yes

yes

good chance of this one being yes also

Weatherspoon is the best option at 19 if he makes it that far.

If the above is True, what makes you think that he would fall all the way

to the 19th pick? (you just declared the guy to be the best Line Backer in the 2010 draft.)

Im just saying is all -_-

That is why I said if he falls that far. I honestly see him being drafted before 19, but that is just my opinion.

If the above is True, what makes you think that he would fall all the way

to the 19th pick? (you just declared the guy to be the best Line Backer in the 2010 draft.)

Im just saying is all -_-

He is the best OLB in the draft. McClain & Spikes are ILB's. There's a HUGE difference believe it or not. Spoon can play OLB better than they can while playing ILB with only a slight dip in comparison & they can play ILB better than he can with only a slight dip in comparison at OLB.

We need an OLB though, so he's the best choice.

And the reason he's very likely to be there at 19 is because the 18 teams ahead of us have NEEDS at a different position & there's uncharacteristic outragously incredible deep talent at virtually every position this year. But the main reason is, nobody else in the top 19 needs a prototypical OLB over some other position they need more.

Edited by Beef Jerky

'Spoon has the best chance of the players that I think will be available to make an instant impact. What his detractors keep forgetting is how fluid 'Spoon is in the passing defense. 'Spoon is like having an extra DB on the field. He is a sideline-to-sideline run defender and is excelling covering backs and tight ends.

Everyone needs to look at what he did in Senior Bowl - this guy is fantastic. He will make our pass defense better, our run defense better, he will be our best blitzing linebacker...

A defensive end like a Brandon Graham could possibly contribute sacks/hurries. rarely do rookie D-Ends make huge impact. Graham has a great motor but he is undersized with short arms and his speed is very average. I know the guy gives great effort but his impact will be diminished when he starts going against legit NFL Offensive Tackles every week.

Do Falcons need a little more help at Defensive End than Outside Linebacker? Yeah probably so......but we need help at both places and GM's make mistakes when they reach for players. I think Graham will be a better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. Graham's size is more ideal for the 3-4 position. Let Graham be a star for somebody like the Patriots at 3-4 OLB- he will likely be average for the Falcons as a 4-3 D-End.

Let 'Spoon be a star for the Falcons - he will be - also a vocal leader of our defense - we need one. Mike Peterson has one foot in retirement and is likely in his last year with Falcons.

I've seen the FUTURE......And it involves a SPOON!

Edited by g-dawg

Don't listen to that crap. You take at 19 what you need. Weatherspoon is projected as a first round pick with high enough value for 19. People will say Weatherspoon is not a value pick but then some want us to take Spiller at 19 because he would be a great value? Forget about the fact that he is not an every down back and is more of a complamentary piece and not a need.

The Falcon lack playmakers on defense and Weatherspoon would be a great fit for our defense where we have an ageing Mike Peterson and Stephen Nicholas that at this point in not an impact player. At one point in the NFL, safety was not an impact position according to many around the game, now everybody wants that impact safety that can change the game.

Bottom line, Weatherspoon is an impact player that has the potential to make our team better. I don’t care that Curry didn’t turn out to have as big of an impact in Seattle as once thought. For years guys like Lance Briggs, Derrick Brooks, Donnie Edwards and Julian Peterson were household names because they made plays. These guys could get after the QB if needed, they could cover TE’s and backs well, they were savvy enough to make plays in zone coverage, or they were pending free agents that were going to get paid a lot of money. Nobody can tell me that OLB is not valued at 19 just because there is not a real stand out 3-4 OLB right now in the NFL. Falcons should gladly be the team to start the trend again.

Weatherspoon has the potential to be the guy that teams will pass on because his position is not valued. Yet, in a couple of season when his contract sets to expire, people will be clamoring for and wondering how did he ever go that low in the draft to start with. He is as good of a player at OLB as I have seen in a while. No guarantees he will be a star, but he has done everything to warrant start consideration at this point.

Edited by isproab

'Spoon has the best chance of the players that I think will be available to make an instant impact. What his detractors keep forgetting is how fluid 'Spoon is in the passing defense. 'Spoon is like having an extra DB on the field. He is a sideline-to-sideline run defender and is excelling covering backs and tight ends.

Everyone needs to look at what he did in Senior Bowl - this guy is fantastic. He will make our pass defense better, our run defense better, he will be our best blitzing linebacker...

A defensive end like a Brandon Graham could possibly contribute sacks/hurries. rarely do rookie D-Ends make huge impact. Graham has a great motor but he is undersized with short arms and his speed is very average. I know the guy gives great effort but his impact will be diminished when he starts going against legit NFL Offensive Tackles every week.

Do Falcons need a little more help at Defensive End than Outside Linebacker? Yeah probably so......but we need help at both places and GM's make mistakes when they reach for players. I think Graham will be a better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. Graham's size is more ideal for the 3-4 position. Let Graham be a star for somebody like the Patriots at 3-4 OLB- he will likely be average for the Falcons as a 4-3 D-End.

Let 'Spoon be a star for the Falcons - he will be - also a vocal leader of our defense - we need one. Mike Peterson has one foot in retirement and is likely in his last year with Falcons.

I've seen the FUTURE......And it involves a SPOON!

after the senior bowl i was sold on this guy he does everything we need a linebacker to do this guy could be a pro bowler for the next 10 years he needs to be here and were lucky the falcons FO is in love with him too cause it might just be a match made in heaven lol :D

p.s ive also seen the future and it indeed does involve a spoon lol :D

Good info guys. I absolutely agree with most of it.

I've always said, Free agents included, what is the player worth to your team? Just like Robinson, maybe we over-paid, but that was what he was worth to us, so if Spoon is worth the 19th overall to us, then we take him and critics be d*mned.

Good info guys. I absolutely agree with most of it.

I've always said, Free agents included, what is the player worth to your team? Just like Robinson, maybe we over-paid, but that was what he was worth to us, so if Spoon is worth the 19th overall to us, then we take him and critics be d*mned.

here, here.....

SSSSPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!!

Weatherspoon talks big game but watch here he's tangled up and hardly ever in on the tackle except 7-8 yds downfield. Kinda like another lb we had recently. rah rah only good for cheerleaders. ck vid.

Something about his game has scouts thinking first round, sir.

Watch this video and all available and forget any bias either way just see whats happening. If wrong i'll admit but just don't see the talent we need.

I actually did watch that about a week ago, I didn't come away amazed or anything like that, to my recollection, but he's a stellar pro prospect and all of these guys need coaching when they get to the NFL.