UGA commitment Corey Moore tabbed U.S. Army All-American.

SacFalcFan

In the back of his mind, Corey Moore hoped he might get an invitation to one of the national all-star games and the resident distinction of becoming a prep All-American that comes with it. But when it actually happened it kind of took him aback.

Moore, a 6-1, 185-pound safety from Griffin, was invited on Thursday to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 8 in San Antonio.

“I wanted to play in it but I wasn’t expecting to play in it,” said Moore, who has been a Georgia commitment since Jan. 30. “But they picked me and I’m glad they did.”

Moore wasn’t sure if he might also receive an invitation to any of the other all-star games, including the Under Armour in Orlando or the Offense-Defense in Myrtle Beach, S.C. But he’s treating it kind of like he did his recruitment to Georgia. The Army Game was the first to offer, so he accepted.

“I was in weight training and my Coach [steve DeVoursney] told me I was invited. I was like, ‘wow,’” Moore said. “He asked me if I wanted to play in it. I said, ‘yeah.’ He said, ‘OK, I’ll tell the man.’”

The invitation capped off a good week for Moore. Last weekend he was named the MVP of the defensive backs at the National Underclassman Combine (NUC) in Atlanta. He also received a scholarship offer from Auburn later in the week.

Moore said he remains committed to Georgia but will likely visit Auburn.

“Oh yeah, I’ll probably go over there with my father and check it out,” Moore said. “One of my best friends goes there.”

Asked if there was any chance he would back out of his UGA commitment, Moore said, “No, not right now. No, sir.”