Auburn fires Lebo

Unknøwn

AUBURN, Ala. – Jeff Lebo was fired Friday as Auburn's basketball coach after his fifth losing season in six years with the Tigers.

Tapped to rebuild the program in 2004, Lebo failed to do so and was dismissed by athletic director Jay Jacobs after going 96-93 overall and 35-61 in Southeastern Conference play. Lebo took the Tigers to the postseason only once — to the NIT in 2009.

With expectations raised this season, Auburn finished 15-17, including 6-10 in the league. The team will return only one starter next year.

"I want to thank Coach Lebo for all that he has done for Auburn University over the past six years," Jacobs said. "Coach Lebo has worked hard and has always represented Auburn with character, class and integrity. However, we feel like the time has come for Auburn basketball to move in a new direction."

Jacobs made the move after Tigers' season ended Thursday with a 78-69 loss to Florida in the SEC tournament. He said a search for a replacement would begin immediately.

Lebo played for North Carolina in 1985-88 and began his college coaching career at Tennessee Tech.

The hard part is going to be finding a quality coach who wants to be at Auburn but the new facility certainly helps

I disagree it's looking like JJ is ready to spend money to get a good coach and the easiest sell would be what competition does q coach have in the west? Right now the names we are hearing are Mike Davis, Mike Anderson, a couple of others and then the unrealistic name popping up is Tubby Smith

I disagree it's looking like JJ is ready to spend money to get a good coach and the easiest sell would be what competition does q coach have in the west? Right now the names we are hearing are Mike Davis, Mike Anderson, a couple of others and then the unrealistic name popping up is Tubby Smith

CBS just said during the Xavier v Minny game that Tubby is close to taking the AU job and minny officials have no comment!

i highly doubt those tubby rumors to auburn.. i just can't see him taking that job.

I'm Missouri on it right now but here's the argument for him to leave.

Pay upgrade, NO competition for the west (compared

to Ohio St. Michigan St. Wisconsin, et cetera...), school is the same caliber (Minnesota was garbage before Tubby got there).

BTW WTA a Lebo and Dwayne Reed run squad almost beat yall.

Tubby would be an AMAZING hire and would immeadiately make AU basketball relevant (ala

17 straight 20 win seasons) right now Tubby is giving out coach speak but we should know more in a couple days JJ is supposedly offering 2 mil

Alot of teams almost beat us this year... Too bad though they don't give partial credit in college basketball...

I think at AU they actually do count moral victories... :D

All kidding aside, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out though. The man can coach.

I'm Missouri on it right now but here's the argument for him to leave.

Pay upgrade, NO competition for the west (compared

to Ohio St. Michigan St. Wisconsin, et cetera...), school is the same caliber (Minnesota was garbage before Tubby got there).

BTW WTA a Lebo and Dwayne Reed run squad almost beat yall.

Tubby would be an AMAZING hire and would immeadiately make AU basketball relevant (ala

17 straight 20 win seasons) right now Tubby is giving out coach speak but we should know more in a couple days JJ is supposedly offering 2 mil

Minnesota can match that money if they want and Minnesota is a better basketball program than Auburn and was a better program before Tubby got there than what he will find at Auburn. You are right about being in an easier division in the sec west (the sec east just dominated the west this year and is tougher to win). Tubby would be a great hire when it comes to his bench coaching, but he is a mediocre recruiter at best man.

I noticed that you missed the point of the comment so here it is. If an awfully coached Lebo and Dwayne Reed team almost beat UK a well coached team can very well beat UK

Picking one game out of 36 is always a good judgment of a team. Cornell lost by 15 to a 6-22 Penn team. There's no way they can beat UK...