Q & A with Iowa's CB Amari Spievey

hawkeye

Iowa's Amari Spievey was under the weather with a chest cold at the NFL Combine, but was still clocked in the 4.47 range in the 40-yard dash. He is excited about showing his skills again at Iowa's Pro Day on March 22, and spoke with DraftNasty on Tuesday.

Q. What is something a lot of people don't know about you?

A. I've never drank, and I've never smoked in my life. That's a big thing for me, something I take pride in. That's something a lot of other people can't say. When I was young, I said I would never do things like that and I promised God. And I kept that promise.

Q. That's really impressive with so many character issue concerns with professional athletes. Are you serious?

A. People try to get me to taste (alcohol), and I may taste it. But

I've never sat down and drank or smoked anything. I've never been drugged. I've never gotten into any trouble. I've got a clean record. I promised God I was going to be that person. I am very observant of things. I am a deep thinker. I don't take a lot of risks, out there in life or on the streets. If I know something is going to put me in a bad position, or get me in trouble, I will stay away from it. I know how to say "No." Peer pressure doesn't affect me at all.

Q. What did you think when DraftNasty picked you to be selected in the first round (in DraftNasty's first mock draft)?

A. I was shocked. At the end of the day, I think I can play as well as anybody. I just believe out there on the field, I don't care how fast you run, how strong you are, or how high you jump ... at the end of the day, I don't think there's anybody better than me in this draft (at defensive back).

Q. How did you feel about your performance at the NFL Combine?

A. My 40-yard time, I got under 4.5 seconds (4.47). I had a chest cold, still do. I couldn't really breathe, and I was cramping up a lot. But I'm not going to make any excuses. I thought I did pretty good on my drills and I heard Deion Sanders was praising me a little bit, which was cool.

Q. You were ruled academically ineligible after your freshman year at Iowa and had to transfer to a junior college, where you earned All-America honors before returning to Iowa. How did you address that experience at the NFL Combine?

A. The NFL coaches seemed impressed by that, how I fought my way back. I thought it was going to hurt me. One NFL coach asked me "How could a person who loves football allow themselves to get kicked out?" But it wasn't all about football. There was other stuff. That was my freshman year, my first time away from home. I explained everything, how it ended up being a positive experience. I could've quit, but I didn't, because I loved football. I fought back to make it, and the NFL coaches really liked hearing about that. I did what I had to do to get back on track.

Q. How do you reflect on your decision to declare for the NFL Draft after your junior year? I know it was a tough decision for you.

A. I was very confident all along but having a pretty decent combine makes me feel a little better. I did not want to regret my decision. But yes, you could say my performance at the NFL Combine really helped me out with my mentality about leaving school early.

Q. What kind of feedback are you getting about the NFL Draft?

A. I've heard I'll be one of the top 50 picks, in the first or second

round. I am hoping after my Pro Day, it will be the first round.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/john/q-and-a-with-iowas-cb-amari-spievey/

Edited by hawkeye