Jimmy Graham, An Intriguing TE Prospect

Watts

Tony Gonzalez likely only has one year left and we have nobody to replace him thus far. I've been looking at potential prospects since the end of the season and there is one that jumps off the page. That is Jimmy Graham from Miami. He was a successful college basketball player who possesses great leaping ability (38.5" vertical), powerful explosion in his legs (10'00" broad jump) and a blazing 40 time (4.56). Did I mention he is 6'6" and 260 pounds? Those are some excellent physical tools to coach up. He only has one year of experience, so there isn't much tape on him. Whichever team drafts him will be drafting him on risk-or-reward potential.

Graham won't be starting material for at least a year. Which is perfect for the falcons, who have a future Hall of Famer to show him the ropes. This guy could be a gem if he falls to us in the third round. His stock is rising.

Here is a link for more information http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103531&draftyear=2010&genpos=TE

Yea man, I posted a little something about him in jbo's mock draft on the last page. I love Graham..

I have a good feeling about him. What round do you think he'll go. He is getting more noticed now and some scouts are saying he carries a second round grade now. Then again, some say he may fall to the 4th because he is unproven. I'm hoping on the latter, but its a faint hope.

I have a good feeling about him. What round do you think he'll go. He is getting more noticed now and some scouts are saying he carries a second round grade now. Then again, some say he may fall to the 4th because he is unproven. I'm hoping on the latter, but its a faint hope.

I think he can go as HIGH as the 2nd(late 2nd) to the 4th(early 4th)....he's got loads of potential in him..

I haven't seen much on Graham. I heard he had a bad senior bowl week, or was that the other Graham from Wisc?

Have the falcons looked at him? I am pretty unfamiliar with the guy.

I think that was the other Graham.

But Jimmy has all the athletic ability in the world, his speed is top notch, and his upside is magnificent. His knock is obviously his extreme rawness and he is inconsistent in the passing department. However, his hands are still very good and he looks very natural catching the ball(he looked good in the gauntlet in the combine).

I also love his grittiness in the blocking department. I remember him showing willingness to block at the Senior Bowl, and he looked good at several blocking drills in practice. He isn't that good at it, but hey, Tony G. isn't that great at it either. But Graham, with NFL coaching, can get better at blocking.

This is one of my guys that I love and I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted him. He can learn under Tony G. for a year(and play part time) and I think he can take over full time in year two.

Here is a snippet about J. Graham from the Senior Bowl

Graham said he mostly received positive feedback from scouts and coaches. The one thing he needs to improve is blocking.

"I've been told I've got great hands," Graham said. "I can get up (vertically)and I can catch touchdowns. They've been teaching me all the little (blocking) techniques and all that stuff."

Dang I can't believe I got him and Garrett confused. Lol I was about ask what the deal was with the love but I guess it's for good cause. Hopefully he don't slide too far, sounds like a great person to be groomed under. Glad to hear willingness to block. And he has a frame to add on to. I'd be happy with him!

It would be nice to avoid the massive drop-off in production from the TE position once TG is gone. This guy has my support. He seems like the type of raw talent that would soak up everything TG could possibly teach him before he leaves. Any pick after the 2nd round would be good by me.

As me being a hurricane's fan, i saw a lot of his game this year, and all i can say about him is he got the size and the tools to be a great TE, but he is still very raw, needs time to develop.

Spending a 3rd round on him wont be a waste, however if we can get him in the 4th round it is a steal.

As me being a hurricane's fan, i saw a lot of his game this year, and all i can say about him is he got the size and the tools to be a great TE, but he is still very raw, needs time to develop.

Spending a 3rd round on him wont be a waste, however if we can get him in the 4th round it is a steal.

Agreed.

I agree he is too raw to waste anything above a 4th on him, when that can be used at other position where that player could be involved in a rotation.

i think the spot to grab Jimmy Graham would be with the hopeful 3rd round comp. pick - estimated pick #99.....that would be where "potential" and "value" and "availability" all converge - at pick #99.....think he will be gone in 4th round.

yea, i agree thats a good spot to pick him.

Question do you think that Graham will be better than Pelle in two years, considering that he only played one year at Miami and didnt log that much playing time.

Peelle is about to be 31 in three days. I don't think he's the answer after Tony G leaves. And yes, I think Graham has the potential to be better than Peele. Peelle is average in every aspect of the game.

Graham is one those guys I have a good feeling about.

Peelle is about to be 31 in three days. I don't think he's the answer after Tony G leaves. And yes, I think Graham has the potential to be better than Peele. Peelle is average in every aspect of the game.

Graham is one those guys I have a good feeling about.

I dont mind drafting Graham, but I just feel like with the Age of Gonzales, I would rather get a TE that is less of a developmental prospect, if he is there in the 4th lets pull the trigger, before the 4th I saw lets address some other needs or draft a TE that has been played collegiate football for longer than one year, especially at the TE position, which is a hard position to I will take Pitta before Graham in the 3rd, I would even take ED Dickson before Graham.

Question do you think that Graham will be better than Pelle in two years, considering that he only played one year at Miami and didnt log that much playing time.

His Miami coaches think he could be better than Jeremy Shockey. That is high praise for someone who only played one year. He will be drafted on potential, not tape.

11/25/2009 - SENIOR BOWL INVITE: Miami Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon often describes himself as someone who is difficult to impress. So it's safe to say Shannon is really impressed with the development of tight end Jimmy Graham. A former basketball player, Graham is playing football for the first time in nine years. Shannon said he would be comparable to former UM standout Jeremy Shockey had he been around four years. "Probably like a Shockey or better because of his size, speed," Shannon said. "And he'd have gotten a lot more aggressive over the four years he'd been playing football."Graham, who has caught 14 passes for 183 yards and five touchdowns, recently earned an invite to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. It will be the perfect chance for him to win over pro scouts, who already envision him as the next power forward-turned-NFL standout. "I think each game I've improved," Graham said. "I think the coaches and Jacory (Harris) have seen me improve each game, each practice. Every time I step on the field, it's like I'm learning something new." - Shandel Richardson, Sun-Sentinel

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1702982

Don't know alot about him. I watched a couple of Miami games and he seemed to be good. I'm going to throw out another prospect, Dennis Pitta from BYU. Smaller than Graham at 6-5 248lbs but the kid is a baller. Most yards for tight ends in 2009 with 829. Had a monster year in 2008 with 1083 yards. He is more refined at the position than Graham is and like you stated he would have the opportunity to learn under TG to get even better.

His Miami coaches think he could be better than Jeremy Shockey. That is high praise for someone who only played one year. He will be drafted on potential, not tape.

11/25/2009 - SENIOR BOWL INVITE: Miami Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon often describes himself as someone who is difficult to impress. So it's safe to say Shannon is really impressed with the development of tight end Jimmy Graham. A former basketball player, Graham is playing football for the first time in nine years. Shannon said he would be comparable to former UM standout Jeremy Shockey had he been around four years. "Probably like a Shockey or better because of his size, speed," Shannon said. "And he'd have gotten a lot more aggressive over the four years he'd been playing football."Graham, who has caught 14 passes for 183 yards and five touchdowns, recently earned an invite to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. It will be the perfect chance for him to win over pro scouts, who already envision him as the next power forward-turned-NFL standout. "I think each game I've improved," Graham said. "I think the coaches and Jacory (Harris) have seen me improve each game, each practice. Every time I step on the field, it's like I'm learning something new." - Shandel Richardson, Sun-Sentinel

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1702982

He could be, I do think he has alot of potential, but still he is very raw, and his upside is what is going to get him drafted as you stated that doesnt mean he will be able to have much impact on a roster. Graham will get drafted by a team probably picking in the bottom half of the draft, a team that doesnt have much need for players that would bring more of an immediate impact or teams that really need to find quality depth. AS much as i like Graham I think he is too raw for us to use a 3rd round pick on, when we could use that pick for a much more valuable position like a OLB, DE, OT, WR, OG, DT.

Duh......c'mon Jaymadd, if I thought Graham would not be better than freakin' "Banana" Peele in two years, would I advocate for taking him in 3rd round?

Duh......c'mon Jaymadd, if I thought Graham would not be better than freakin' "Banana" Peele in two years, would I advocate for taking him in 3rd round?

I dont, Graham is very raw man, I think other positions would benefit for a more developed prospect in the 3rd round as opposed to drafting Graham, who wont be replacing Tony G in 2 years IMO, the TE position is very hard to learn you have to learn how to get seperation, block, it is alot, and for Graham to have only played for one year he has some ways to go but i do like his potential but I would rather use that 3rd on a LB, OT, OG, C, WR, DE, DT, who could be used this year and could bolster our depth in case of injury and compete for valuable time in rotation. If he is still avialable in the 4th then I would highly consider it. There are way too many TE in this draft that can contribute much more consistenly than Graham early on.