SEC to switch some 2010 Conf. game dates around to please Alabama

Cable Guy

There’s a reason the SEC hasn’t released the league schedule for the 2010 season.

That’s because some games could be switching dates.

Charles Bloom, an SEC associate commissioner, said Thursday that the league is trying to provide some relief for Alabama so that the Crimson Tide won't have to play six of their eight conference games next season when the opponent is coming off a bye week.

As it stands now, Alabama’s final six SEC opponents during the 2010 season are scheduled to have bye weeks prior to facing the Crimson Tide.

Those six teams are South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn.

Bloom said the entire schedule wouldn’t be torn up to accommodate Alabama, but that a more likelihood scenario was a handful of games moving so that the Crimson Tide wouldn’t have to play so many teams next season on the heels of byes.

“This is something that’s important to the entire league, because nobody wants to be in that same position a year or two from now,” Bloom said. “So we’re looking at a way to balance it out this year and for years to come. The difference is that it might be a little tweak this year with more widespread changes coming in future years.”

Blooms said the league hopes to have any changes finalized for the 2010 season prior to the spring meetings in Destin, Fla., in May.

they didn't seem to give a crap about the vols a few years ago who had that same issue, but i guess they didn't protest it so the league didn't look at it. i do agree it was a big ridiculous, but not surprised someone from the sec birmingham office would decide to change the bama schedule.

I really don't see why they can't give each side of the Conference off at the same time. Say this year the West teams have week 8 off and the East has week 9. Then just flip flop them every year. That way each team will have a break in the middle of the year to get healthy before making that push at the end of the season.

Edited by Cable Guy

Since 2007, Alabama will have played 16 teams coming off of byes. That is more than three times the next closest team in that category -- LSU with 5. It is a clear advantage for opposing teams and that kind of disparity should be remedied whether it is for Alabama, Vanderbilt, or whoever.

Here is the breakdown between 2007-2010 of teams playing bye-week rested opponents:

Alabama 16

LSU 5

Florida 4

Tennessee 4

Georgia 4

Vanderbilt 4

Auburn 3

Kentucky 2

Ole Miss 1

Miss. State 1

S. Carolina 1

Arkansas 0

they didn't seem to give a crap about the vols a few years ago who had that same issue, but i guess they didn't protest it so the league didn't look at it. i do agree it was a big ridiculous, but not surprised someone from the sec birmingham office would decide to change the bama schedule.

Not sure how the Vols had the "same" issue -- they will have played four teams coming off of byes over a four year period (i.e., 1 per season). Alabama plays six teams coming off byes next season alone.

Not sure how the Vols had the "same" issue -- they will have played four teams coming off of byes over a four year period (i.e., 1 per season). Alabama plays six teams coming off byes next season alone.

it was before that and it was posted in one of the threads on this I saw.. 2007 to now is a small sample size, but regardless if this was vanderbilt, south carolina, or ole miss the SEC office wouldn't be doing this at all. As I said I am not surprised the SEC office located in birmingham with bama complaining about their schedule would do what they could to make bama happy. I can understand bama fans wanting this, but i am just talking about the league office. BTW you sure do have some fans who feel pretty entitled.. i did love some of the suggestions of having uga and auburn move their game back to allow bama to not have another team coming off a bye week.. Yeah maybe just maybe both teams wanted a week off before a rival.

it was before that and it was posted in one of the threads on this I saw.. 2007 to now is a small sample size, but regardless if this was vanderbilt, south carolina, or ole miss the SEC office wouldn't be doing this at all. As I said I am not surprised the SEC office located in birmingham with bama complaining about their schedule would do what they could to make bama happy. I can understand bama fans wanting this, but i am just talking about the league office. BTW you sure do have some fans who feel pretty entitled.. i did love some of the suggestions of having uga and auburn move their game back to allow bama to not have another team coming off a bye week.. Yeah maybe just maybe both teams wanted a week off before a rival.

There should be balance among the team's schedules. And playing over three times as many games against teams coming off an idle week is nowhere close to balance. I disagree that the SEC would not be acting if it was any other team -- the SEC has not exactly done Alabama many favors during the past ten years so I am not sure why they would start now.

There is no grand conspiracy. Either coincidental or not, a team should not have to play six straight SEC opponents coming off of a bye.

Agree with C Kat. That's a very big deal, in terms of an increase in difficulty for that team to win.

I really like the idea put forth earlier. Give every single team in the east a bye on one week, and then every single team in the west a bye on the next week, and then flip flop every year.

Why wouldn't they do that? It ensures that no team would be gaining an unfair scheduling advantage over the other.

Agree with C Kat. That's a very big deal, in terms of an increase in difficulty for that team to win.

I really like the idea put forth earlier. Give every single team in the east a bye on one week, and then every single team in the west a bye on the next week, and then flip flop every year.

Why wouldn't they do that? It ensures that no team would be gaining an unfair scheduling advantage over the other.

I really do think that would be fair. That's why I mentioned it. Also in those 2 weeks the SEC will have 3 games each. That would also be good b/c each team should get at least 1 nationally televised night game on ESPN.

There should be balance among the team's schedules. And playing over three times as many games against teams coming off an idle week is nowhere close to balance. I disagree that the SEC would not be acting if it was any other team -- the SEC has not exactly done Alabama many favors during the past ten years so I am not sure why they would start now.

There is no grand conspiracy. Either coincidental or not, a team should not have to play six straight SEC opponents coming off of a bye.

we won't agree at all that they would do this for south carolina, vandy or an msu. They wouldn't do it for those other teams. I saw this post on it and agree 100% with it on this situation.

"I agree the schedule is unfair to bama (aside - although I do chuckle at the folks that used to say UF always having a bye week b4 Jax was fine), but if the SEC mandates some schedule swaps that "favors" bama more than any other team it will get sticky. I seem to remember Tennessee having almost the same situation a few years back and to his credit Fulmer just noted it and moved on.

But this is bama and nobody puts bama in the corner.

I worry that other teams will find they now have similar problems as this thing moves along... and aren't some of you hoping that coddling bama takes UF's bye week away from the week before Jax? I am. And the list goes on and on.

Here's a novel suggestion... have a meeting of the SEC ADs each year to validate the schedule. Amazing that bama had no problems with their schedule until they discovered their opposition had a slight advantage.

I agree with fixing it, it could happen to UGA, but do it between 2010 and 2011. Don't move around games that fans have already bought nonrefundable travel tickets and reservations for to get best rates (can you imagine how many UGA fans have bought them for Colorado?). Somehow the whole purpose of the idea that somehow bama needs special care seems disingenuous at its core."

As a dawg fan since the SEC is now into making schedules easier for certain teams and feels the need to step in and "fix" bama let's put in our requests:

Let's have them tell south carolina they are a real legit football school who plays in the SEC and can't schedule a thursday night game before us in order to have that additional prep time. Florida should never have a bye week before the game in jacksonville unless we have one as well. Since the SEC is trying to "help" Alabama perhaps they move the florida/bama game right before the georgia/Florida game removing their bye week in their shuffling of games. :P ;) The complaining should influence future years, but not get games changed for the fall.

I would be for this no matter who the team. 6 games in one season is brutal and we all know bye weeks make a considerable difference. To what degree is debatable but I know our toughest wins last year both came against teams coming off buys in UT and Auburn. I am sure it is a factor in the spreads to some degree.

Looks like Alabama's game on Oct. 2 will not be changed.

The Alabama-Florida matchup on Oct. 2 next season will be a night telecast on CBS.

The 3:30 p.m. ET game that day on CBS will be the LSU-Tennessee matchup in Baton Rouge, according to a Chattanooga Times Free Press report.

CBS will begin its SEC football coverage Sept. 18 with the Florida-Tennessee game in Knoxville, a matchup CBS has televised every year since 1996.

Edited by Cable Guy