A quote from Coach Smith

atljbo

"We've spent a major part of our offseason evaluating what we do," Smith said. "Watching the cut ups. I felt that as the season wore on, we got better and better on defense."

The pass defense was an issue. They finished 28th against the pass and gave up 241.9 yards per game.

"It's something that we definitely have to address," Smith said. "Statistically we were not close to where we need to be or want to be. I think that's twofold. One, we address the pass rush and number two, is that we improve our secondary play. Those are areas that we definitely will want to address."

We improved the Secondary with the Dunta Robinson signing.... Now we have to address the pass rush

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly obvious statement from you JBo. Anyways, I think we will definitely do that in the draft, isn't much of a pass rush in free agency.

Naw i did this because Jaymadd and Clark Kent is trying to throw me off the DE bandwagon because spoon is in my mock draft (its a little joke thing)..... Anyway....... Just saying.. It is a chance that we go DE.

Naw i did this because Jaymadd and Clark Kent is trying to throw me off the DE bandwagon because spoon is in my mock draft (its a little joke thing)..... Anyway....... Just saying.. It is a chance that we go DE.

Ha, I have to admit, I fell of the DE wagon (other than Morgan) the other day, but I think I'm leaning back towards Graham over Spoon. The only 2 guys I want over Spoon are Graham and Morgan.

I see it like this:

If D. Morgan is available, we take him over Weatherspoon. If not, we take Weatherspoon.

The difference between CB and DE going into this offseason, is that we actually have two DEs with starting potential. We also have a promising DT coming back in Jerry. Their growth, and Jerry's return should help our pass rush out.

I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Greg Hardy or Austen Lane in the 3rd or 4th round though.

We had absolutely nothing at CB. Owens was a surprise, but MS and TD only really thought of him as a NB.

I see it like this:

If D. Morgan is available, we take him over Weatherspoon. If not, we take Weatherspoon.

The difference between CB and DE going into this offseason, is that we actually have two DEs with starting potential. We also have a promising DT coming back in Jerry. Their growth, and Jerry's return should help our pass rush out.

I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Greg Hardy or Austen Lane in the 3rd or 4th round though.

We had absolutely nothing at CB. Owens was a surprise, but MS and TD only really thought of him as a NB.

yea.. Derrick Morgan has to be the dream guy

I disagree that we had nothing at CB... We needed a #1 CB... TD said Owens was brought in to be a NB but he surprised them by becoming a #2.... We have a #2 CB in Owens and we have a #3 in Grimes, Williams, and Chevis..... Dunta Robinson gives us the #1 we needed.

Derrick Morgan is the dream pick tho

The funny thing is that some scouts and GM's have Jason Pierre-Paul in front of Derrick Morgan because he is a physical freak.

I think Derrick Morgan out perform Jason in everything except the 40 at the combine.... And Jason Pierre-Paul barely beat him in the 40

yea.. Derrick Morgan has to be the dream guy

I disagree that we had nothing at CB... We needed a #1 CB... TD said Owens was brought in to be a NB but he surprised them by becoming a #2.... We have a #2 CB in Owens and we have a #3 in Grimes, Williams, and Chevis..... Dunta Robinson gives us the #1 we needed.

Derrick Morgan is the dream pick tho

Owens definitely stepped up, but I just didn't see any other guys in our CB group who can be effective starters.

Brian Williams was TERRIBLY overrated last year. He was the best we had, but that wasn't saying much. Honestly, I still don't see him as a capable starter on the outside. I don't see it with Chevis nor Grimes.

But I was just saying that with Brian Williams' surgery (uncertainty), the fact that the staff doesn't seem to be extremely high on Grimes, and Chevis Jackson suddenly being buried on the bench, we really had nothing besides Owens (who is still very young himself).

I am not really completely sold on any of these "first round" D-ends. I like grahm the best out of all of them, then JPP, then Morgan. I really don't get the everson griffin hype. All you ever hear is he has a motor that shuts off all the time. I think griffin would be a good pick up in the 2nd round. I will be upset if we get him with our first pick. JMHO

Owens definitely stepped up, but I just didn't see any other guys in our CB group who can be effective starters.

Brian Williams was TERRIBLY overrated last year. He was the best we had, but that wasn't saying much. Honestly, I still don't see him as a capable starter on the outside. I don't see it with Chevis nor Grimes.

But I was just saying that with Brian Williams' surgery (uncertainty), the fact that the staff doesn't seem to be extremely high on Grimes, and Chevis Jackson suddenly being buried on the bench, we really had nothing besides Owens (who is still very young himself).

I dont think they are low on Grimes... Its just if you can improve the position.. you do that.... I think Grimes can bt a NB/Spot starter if an injury happen... I agree that Brian Williams was super over-rated... I have not given up on Chevis... He had a good rookie season but took a step back his 2nd season... Ive heard that he has been working out with Thomas Decoud and Chris Owens (at performance gaines) all offseason... He knows that he has to step up....

I dont think out CB group is in bad shape right now with Dunta Robinson, Chris Owens, Brent Grimes, and Chevis Jackson......We can draft a mid- late round CB but other then that we are ok... We just have to build a good pass rush.

If we could build a top notch front 4.... We will be ok at DB.

Addressing it, doesn't mean DE, doesn't even mean DL...OLB is a pass rush position in our coaches mind, wake up and smell the roses on this one. Btw, also addressing it, doesn't always mean round 1 either, not sayin, just sayin.

Dude give them something, despite the fact we are less than two months way no one can say with certainty we have interview a DE, gone to a Pro Day scouting a DE or invited one for a private work out. Plus here is a direct quote from the guy who makes the final decision on who draft having no mention of DE but specific mentions two areas of concern. We addressed one earlier this week. We have scouted a guy for the second position numerous types but yet I don't know what I am talking about? H@ll we might trade up to the first 1 pick in order to draft Hardy!

""(Jerry) was really coming along well for us (before the injury)," Dimitroff said. "He was going to help create some pass rush up the middle, which obviously is going to free something up on the outside, and John Abraham would continue to get upfield along with Kroy Biermann and some of our other young guys (at defensive end)."

If Jerry, who played in two games before sustaining the season-ending tear in '09, returns in offseason workouts before the draft and looks to be coming along well, that could help push the Falcons in the direction of taking a cornerback, or perhaps even a linebacker, with the 19th pick, rather than an end, with the expectation that Jerry's presence will bolster the pass rush.

If we feel very comfortable with (the defensive line), we have to seriously look at ... there are other positions on defense as well — corners, linebackers," Dimitroff said. "If we feel that (those positions) will continue to shore up our defense, we may go there, as well."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/05/falcons-expect-jerrys-return-to-help-pass-rush-in

Edited by Head Busta From Augusta

Dude give them something, despite the fact we are less than two months way no one can say with certainty we have interview a DE, gone to a Pro Day scouting a DE or invited one for a private work out. Plus here is a direct quote from the guy who makes the final decision on who draft having no mention of DE but specific mentions two areas of concern. We addressed one earlier this week. We have scouted a guy for the second position numerous types but yet I don't know what I am talking about? H@ll we might trade up to the first 1 pick in order to draft Hardy!

""(Jerry) was really coming along well for us (before the injury)," Dimitroff said. "He was going to help create some pass rush up the middle, which obviously is going to free something up on the outside, and John Abraham would continue to get upfield along with Kroy Biermann and some of our other young guys (at defensive end)."

If Jerry, who played in two games before sustaining the season-ending tear in '09, returns in offseason workouts before the draft and looks to be coming along well, that could help push the Falcons in the direction of taking a cornerback, or perhaps even a linebacker, with the 19th pick, rather than an end, with the expectation that Jerry's presence will bolster the pass rush.

If we feel very comfortable with (the defensive line), we have to seriously look at ... there are other positions on defense as well — corners, linebackers," Dimitroff said. "If we feel that (those positions) will continue to shore up our defense, we may go there, as well."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/05/falcons-expect-jerrys-return-to-help-pass-rush-in

Key word is IF we feel comfortable, combined with the fact that early in the offseason, TD stated that they were looking to add an edge rusher. We still got time until the draft so it doesnt suprise me that we havent worked out that many prospects yet. You really be reaching dude, it is kind of pitfull.

It worries me a little that talent wise it seems to be a wash behind JPP and Morgan.

You've got Dunlap, Graham, Kindle, and Griffin.

Dunlap is a huge character issue. He's a no by that fact alone.

Graham and Kindle are listed as OLBs. I'm not sure if their skillz translate well to full time DE.

Griffin just has too much bad air around him. Too big of negatives for how high he's rated.

I'd say if we had to take a DE it would be Graham or Kindle as the best of the bunch. Kindle is super athletic and can fit some more weight on his frame to make him almost ideal end size. Graham is short, but there are very successful short DEs.

I think what I'm getting at though, is unless we HAVE to have a DE in the first, we could look another direction. I doubt CB, not safety unless the coaches don't feel good about Moore or Decoud(though there are some really nice safeties that might be around), DT should be fine with Jerry coming back. So defensively that leaves OLB. I know alot of people are high on Spoon, and if TD likes him, I'de love to have him, but im not sold on him just yet.

So that leaves me thinking we could end up upgrading the offense with our first pick. Giving the offense a 1st round caliber weapon that's TD approved would make our already good offense great, right? So the defense doesn't have to perform as well, right? Not that they wont, but it widens that margin of error if we're hitting more home-runs with C.J. Spiller, or able to move the chains easier with Arrelious Benn, or even able to give Ryan more time with Mike Iupati.

I don't know, it's just a thought.

I love Spoon as an OLB for us, but I also love Morgan as a DE for us. Griffen and Graham are my two other favorite picks for us at 19. It's hard to choose just one man.

The teams infront of us will choose our pick for us by eliminating the other guys from being available at #19. We would be lucky if 2 of the 4 you named are there at #19 for us to choose from.

Totally agree.........its hard to choose just 1 out of those 4 but the decision won't be that tough since all of them won't be there at #19.

Edited by coachx

We improved the Secondary with the Dunta Robinson signing.... Now we have to address the pass rush

Derrick Morgan pls

or we could try to win now with getting Andre Carter for DE and adding Spoon or an impact player in the draft. (Iupati, Odrick, Tate, etc)

Notice he said "improve the pass rush" not "draft a DE."

I'm sure plenty of people here can dig up the TD & Smith quotes where they said our pass rush problems last year were due to the INTERIOR defensive line, not the defensive ends. If they are staying consistent with what they have said in the past, then "improving the pass rush" means drafting a DT, not a DE (and certainly not an OLB).

Key word is IF we feel comfortable, combined with the fact that early in the offseason, TD stated that they were looking to add an edge rusher. We still got time until the draft so it doesnt suprise me that we havent worked out that many prospects yet. You really be reaching dude, it is kind of pitfull.

Were does it say edge rusher? If you can read which I believe you can he makes no refer what so ever about any concern to the DE position not depth nothing. In fact he expect JA55 and Beirmann to have better years because of Jerry. Dude it is in black & white and easy to see we will not draft a DE in the first and quite possible in the draft. The only DE we have been link to is Wootten unless you have other knowledge with a source we are not looking. You think TD is going to want 40 days prior to a draft to start looking for a DE! Really! Stop smoking what ever it is that you are on come back to us on Earth and get a grip. Look man I am trying to save your creditability here no matter how many games you think you have scouted we are not looking Graham, Griffen or Hardy! Show me where MS or TD has made reference of upgrading the DE position and hear pass rush which can come from multiple positions but not DE! Until you give me a direct quote or statement. H@ll I am willing to accept any interest in our first round grade DE. UNTIL THEN can please for your on good end this crusade for a DE because you are starting to scare the children!

PS it is pretty easy to figure out the guys concerns in it is in black and white on a direct quote with a supporting link. Everyone can read the same thing I am and you can tell me what he is saying.

It worries me a little that talent wise it seems to be a wash behind JPP and Morgan.

You've got Dunlap, Graham, Kindle, and Griffin.

Dunlap is a huge character issue. He's a no by that fact alone.

Carlos Dunlap is more talented than Derrick Morgan and his upside is higher than any other DEs in this class overall (Obviously JPP has higher upside as a pass-rusher but nothing to show he's going to be a good run-stuffer). Huge character issues? Can you name me 3?

Were does it say edge rusher? If you can read which I believe you can he makes no refer what so ever about any concern to the DE position not depth nothing. In fact he expect JA55 and Beirmann to have better years because of Jerry. Dude it is in black & white and easy to see we will not draft a DE in the first and quite possible in the draft. The only DE we have been link to is Wootten unless you have other knowledge with a source we are not looking. You think TD is going to want 40 days prior to a draft to start looking for a DE! Really! Stop smoking what ever it is that you are on come back to us on Earth and get a grip. Look man I am trying to save your creditability here no matter how many games you think you have scouted we are not looking Graham, Griffen or Hardy! Show me where MS or TD has made reference of upgrading the DE position and hear pass rush which can come from multiple positions but not DE! Until you give me a direct quote or statement. H@ll I am willing to accept any interest in our first round grade DE. UNTIL THEN can please for your on good end this crusade for a DE because you are starting to scare the children!

PS it is pretty easy to figure out the guys concerns in it is in black and white on a direct quote with a supporting link. Everyone can read the same thing I am and you can tell me what he is saying.

I dont have time to go back and pull up TD interviews and articles, He said it if you dont believe me then Oh Well, I would recommend trying to find it, If i had the time to find it then I would. IN case you havent realized yet the draft is still a month and a half away and players are still having prodays, so we might not see alot of private workouts until those players have had their prodays, YOu are still reaching, We have options in the 1st, DE, OLB, OT, DT are all options.

I dont have time to go back and pull up TD interviews and articles, He said it if you dont believe me then Oh Well, I would recommend trying to find it, If i had the time to find it then I would. IN case you havent realized yet the draft is still a month and a half away and players are still having prodays, so we might not see alot of private workouts until those players have had their prodays, YOu are still reaching, We have options in the 1st, DE, OLB, OT, DT are all options.

I can help you out there are none! Pull out that dusty @ss DVD player and scout some interview. Yeah I am reaching we talk to Spoon at the Senior Bowl, we talk to Spoon at the Combine, we attended his Pro Day and oh yeah we are bring him in for a Private workout did I miss anything?

I can help you out there are none! Pull out that dusty @ss DVD player and scout some interview. Yeah I am reaching we talk to Spoon at the Senior Bowl, we talk to Spoon at the Combine, we attended his Pro Day and oh yeah we are bring him in for a Private workout did I miss anything?

YOu stated that we havent even worked out any DE so we must be taking a OLB. I was explaining to you that it is too early in the Draft process to use that as a reason, when we will workout alot more prospects over the next month and a half.

Sir do you want to put some money were your mouth is Booty Scratcher From Augusta.

YOu stated that we havent even worked out any DE so we must be taking a OLB. I was explaining to you that it is too early in the Draft process to use that as a reason, when we will workout alot more prospects over the next month and a half.

Right but if we are taking a DE what better place is there to interview several DE in one place than the Senior Bowl, Combine or Pro Days. We haven't been link to one at any of those event! Who does that! Which GM (other than the Raiders) wait that long to start interviewing prospects?