A Different Sort of Mock Draft and Offseason

FalconBlood

The 2010 Atlanta Falcons

falcons_logo1.gif

Off-season Moves & Draft

Pre-Draft Trades

• Lions acquire CB Chris Houston from Falcons for 2010 6th-rounder and exchange of 2010 5th-rounders.

Free Agent Signings
  • CB Dunta Robinson, Texans
  • K Shayne Graham, Bengals

Resigned

• QB Chris Redman
  • RB Jason Snelling
  • RB Jerious Norwood
  • OT Tyson Clabo
  • OG Harvey Dahl
  • OG Quinn Ojinnaka
  • CB Brent Grimes

The Atlanta Falcons 2010 NFL Draft
  • 1-19) RECEIVED Jared Gaither (24), OT, Ravens (Given 1st Round Tender)
  • Reasoning = Gaither is one of the premier left tackles in the league. He can be had for a single 1st round pick and the Falcons see an opportunity. With this move, the Falcons will move Sam Baker to right tackle and use Clabo for competition, depth, and situational play.
  • 3-84) RECEIVED Kirk Morrison (28), MLB/SLB, Raiders (Given 3rd Round Tender)
  • Reasoning = Kirk Morrison is one of the most consistent tacklers in the league. With good range, speed, and ball location skills, he would be added to the outside linebacker mix and win out on one side or the other.
  • 3-97/Comp) TE Dennis Pitta, BYU
  • Reasoning = Great college stats, proved to have athleticism at the combine, and is worth taking a chance on here at the very end of the 3rd round. Gets to learn from Gonzalez for a year, but should be a useful threat in his first year.
  • 4-118) RECEIVED Rob Sims (26), OG, Seahawks (Given 4th Round Tender)
  • Reasoning = Many believe him to have been the best offensive lineman on the Seahawks roster last year. That may not be saying a ton, but for 4th round value, this starter quality guard can be added to the competition at guard in Atlanta and play very well if he gets the opportunity.
  • 5-135/DET) RECEIVED Omar Gaither (26), WLB, Eagles (Given 5th Round Tender)
  • Reasoning = Quality special-teams player, Gaither has flashed the ability to start and has some very good skills that could be coached up. He is good value for a 5th round pick. His natural position is the weakside, but he has lots of experience in the middle; this versatility is what our coaching staff loves.
  • 5-168/Comp) DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Washington
  • Reasoning = A clever, athletic, hard-working, and productive defensive end in college. He shows a lot of promise to matter in this league by his ability to get to the quarterback. Could turn out to be a great pick; he has a great name too.
  • 6-174/DET) DE Brandon Sharpe, Texas Tech
  • Reasoning = Exploded onto the scene towards the end of his last year of college. He has a great ability to get to the quarterback, and if he, Te'o-Nesheim, Sidbury, and Bierrman all pan out, the coaches will NOT be complaining.
  • 6-192) S Kyle McCarthy, Notre Dame
  • Reasoning = A captain on his Notre Dame football team, McCarthy is a smart teamplayer, who will embrace any role to win. His hard-working mentality could make him a great value here in the 6th.

NOTE: Draft Order Information Gained From HERE.

The 2010 Atlanta Falcons

QB Matt Ryan / Chris Redman / John Parker-Wilson

RB Michael Turner / Jerious Norwood / Jason Snelling

FB Ovie Mughelli

1WR Roddy White

*2WR Michael Jenkins

SWR Harry Douglas / Brian Finneran / Eric Weems

TE Tony Gonzalez / Justin Peele / Dennis Pitta

LT Jared Gaither / Will Svitek

LG Justin Blalock / Rob Sims

C Todd McClure / Brett Romberg

*RG Harvey Dahl / Quinn Ojinnaka

*RT Sam Baker / Tyson Clabo

*LE Kroy Biermann / Lawrence Sidbury / Chauncey Davis

UT Jonathan Babineaux / Tommy Johnson

NT Peria Jerry / Trey Lewis

RE John Abraham / Daniel Te'o-Nesheim / Brandon Sharpe

*SLB Kirk Morrison / Stephen Nicholas

MLB Curtis Lofton / Coy Wire

*WLB Mike Peterson / Spencer Adkins / Omar Gaither

LCB Dunta Robinson

*RCB Brent Grimes / Chris Owens / Tye Hill

*NCB Brian Williams / Chevis Jackson

FS Thomas DeCoud / Kyle McCarthy

*SS Erik Coleman / William Moore

K Shayne Graham

P Michael Koenen

LS Joe Zelenka

Good Idea By Mr Pickle1

"Would not mind the Gaither pick at all. If we were planning on doing, that, however, I'd immediately contact Indy/Dallas/NE/Vikings and offer them a swap of 1st rounders for something, we could probably get a 2nd or 3rd and 4th, and then turn in a much lower value first for Gaither."

With his scenario, I'd opt to trade our 19th pick to IND for their 1st and 2nd. Still use the pick for Gaither, BUT turn and use the second for one of the following players...

• WLB Rocky McIntosh, Redskins
  • DT Barry Coefield, Giants
  • DE Daryl Tapp, Seahawks
  • C Jason Spitz, Packers
  • DE Mark Anderson, Bears

Edited by falconblood

that is differnt. I wouldnt mind adding Kirk Morrison for a 3rd round though

Ha. It's just something we could ACTUALLY do with our current set of picks, allowing that the players drop to their slotted spots that we do draft. I really like Gaither for our first; he's so young, that it'll just be as if we drafted a "sure thing" LT at 19. Rob Sims would also be good value for the 4th. I wouldn't hate this scenario, but it won't happen.

Would not mind the Gaither pick at all. If we were planning on doing, that, however, I'd immediately contact Indy/Dallas/NE/Vikings and offer them a swap of 1st rounders for something, we could probably get a 2nd or 3rd and 4th, and then turn in a much lower value first for Gaither.

Would not mind the Gaither pick at all. If we were planning on doing, that, however, I'd immediately contact Indy/Dallas/NE/Vikings and offer them a swap of 1st rounders for something, we could probably get a 2nd or 3rd and 4th, and then turn in a much lower value first for Gaither.

I got some hate form SporkDevil for not doing a mock using our current picks (I made trades and such). But that is EXACTLY what I would plan on doing. INDY's 1st and 2nd are a perfect match for 19 on the NFL point value chart. I'd probably offer to INDY really hard. Then I'd use the 2nd to follow suit and find the best young player of need, tendered for a 2nd rounder. :) Good call by you though. I didn't mention that mindset, but I fully agree with you.

I got some hate form SporkDevil for not doing a mock using our current picks (I made trades and such). But that is EXACTLY what I would plan on doing. INDY's 1st and 2nd are a perfect match for 19 on the NFL point value chart. I'd probably offer to INDY really hard. Then I'd use the 2nd to follow suit and find the best young player of need, tendered for a 2nd rounder. :) Good call by you though. I didn't mention that mindset, but I fully agree with you.

Maybe...

1. WLB Rocky McIntosh, Redskins
  2. DT Barry Coefield, Giants
  3. DE Daryl Tapp, Seahawks
  4. C Jason Spitz, Packers
  5. DE Mark Anderson, Bears

etc.

NO chance. TD will not trade our first two picks away. Grant won't be in Atlanta, he has been bad for a while now and is very lazy. Graham isn't a bad signing for kicker.

I just threw Grant in there for the vet min and training camp competition... If he wants to matter, then he'll stay... Ha. And I realize this is an extremely unlikely scenario.. But I think it's .0026% possible. :) And yeah, Graham had one bad day last year, just happened to be in the playoffs.. Maybe the dome can calm him...

No team would ever give up their starting LT if he is in fact a blue chip player. Also Charles Grant is a horrible solution to the DE problem. Right now he would be in competition with Jamaal and Chauncey. Huge wast of a roster spot.

He can be had for a 1st round pick and his numbers don't lie. Ha. I agree, I put him on there and showed (vet min), meaning, if he has anything to give, we'd keep him. If not, he'd be cut after training camp.

Good thought and it is different but too fantasy for my tastes, becuase you may not know it but not only do you have to give up a draft pick to get restricted players, but you also have to offer those players new contracts

Ha. AND they have to agree? :P Well Gaither and Morrison would be worth paying.. But I may just draft in the spots of Sims and Gaither then... Thanks for the info. I'm all about the fantasy in the mock draft.. Ha. I cut down on the trades though.. None in fact..

I guess that was my 1000th post.

Edited by falconblood

Interesting concept! Remember teams have the right of first refusal with tendered players. If the Falcons really wanted an offensive tackle that bad and graded the Ravens guy out as better than any tackle we could draft at 19 then why not make a run at him prior to the draft.

Personally, I want us to draft big uglies all the way thru the draft. As long as lineman is the second word of their position group get the best one available. Then move to the next position that has lineman in the second word and draft one of those, etc.... We need to start winning in the trenches.

Ha. AND they have to agree? :P Well Gaither and Morrison would be worth paying.. But I may just draft in the spots of Sims and Gaither then... Thanks for the info. I'm all about the fantasy in the mock draft.. Ha. I cut down on the trades though.. None in fact..

I guess that was my 1000th post.

If anything i would rather negotiate with Oakland to see if we can give up a 2011 2nd or a 2010 3rd and sign Thomas Howard, that would be the only RFA that I would consider.

I just threw Grant in there for the vet min and training camp competition... If he wants to matter, then he'll stay... Ha. And I realize this is an extremely unlikely scenario.. But I think it's .0026% possible. :) And yeah, Graham had one bad day last year, just happened to be in the playoffs.. Maybe the dome can calm him...

I understand you were looking for something a little different, but I think you tried a little TOO hard to be different. There are themes to all our mock drafts because those are the most likely situations. But I still like that you weren't like "I'm going to do what everyone else does."

Interesting concept! Remember teams have the right of first refusal with tendered players. If the Falcons really wanted an offensive tackle that bad and graded the Ravens guy out as better than any tackle we could draft at 19 then why not make a run at him prior to the draft.

Personally, I want us to draft big uglies all the way thru the draft. As long as lineman is the second word of their position group get the best one available. Then move to the next position that has lineman in the second word and draft one of those, etc.... We need to start winning in the trenches.

I know. Things would definitely have to fall into place.

YOU gotta cut 3 there are 56 there

Probably Svitek, Davis, and Hill... :P

If anything i would rather negotiate with Oakland to see if we can give up a 2011 2nd or a 2010 3rd and sign Thomas Howard, that would be the only RFA that I would consider.

He's beastly too. He has difficutlies in coverage and thus was moved to strong side... I think Morrison makes a better strong side, and if howard has difficulties in coverage, i would want to wait to improve on Nicholas/Peterson/Adkins/Wire competition.

I understand you were looking for something a little different, but I think you tried a little TOO hard to be different. There are themes to all our mock drafts because those are the most likely situations. But I still like that you weren't like "I'm going to do what everyone else does."

Ha. I wouldn't mind if we dipped into the restricted FA pool one to two times.. This is definitely extreme though.. But our final roster doesn't look too weak in pass rush and o-line as a result.. Ha.