Why Draft Another Rookie DE?

I dont get it!! Why do we another Rookie DE? We have Sidberry,Biermann And Davis! If we need depth go get a Veteran to play on the other side of Abraham namely Charles Grant Or Javon Kearse! Everyones draft on here says go get DE! I think we need a 1- LB with first round and 2nd round get Offensive Lineman or Defensive back safety etc! Your Opinions please!

I dont get it!! Why do we another Rookie DE? We have Sidberry,Biermann And Davis! If we need depth go get a Veteran to play on the other side of Abraham namely Charles Grant Or Javon Kearse! Everyones draft on here says go get DE! I think we need a 1- LB with first round and 2nd round get Offensive Lineman or Defensive back safety etc! Your Opinions please!

Because our pass pressure was weak last year. A high draft or 3rd round DE will make huge difference. We need one more permanent piece to go with Abe, Babs, and Jerry and rotate Sid and Kroy in.

Best available OL in the 1st., agree that DE not that big of a priority, given the

continued development of Beerman/Sidbury and the return of PJ (to provide the extra

inside push needed to further enhance the effectivness of our DE'S). OLB is our

next biggest priority in the draft, hopefully we address that in the 3rd round or

if a certain GM works his magic, the 2nd. JMHO, mind you, and will be most pleased with

whatever path TD chooses.

Best available OL in the 1st., agree that DE not that big of a priority, given the

continued development of Beerman/Sidbury and the return of PJ (to provide the extra

inside push needed to further enhance the effectivness of our DE'S). OLB is our

next biggest priority in the draft, hopefully we address that in the 3rd round or

if a certain GM works his magic, the 2nd. JMHO, mind you, and will be most pleased with

whatever path TD chooses.

If we draft OL in the first round it will be for depth. Draft for depth in the first as opposed to draft a starting defense-man?

I don't see anything wrong with Baker, Blalock, Dahl or Clabo. Our Center is done, I agree. However what Center is worth a 19th overall pick in this draft?

Because our pass pressure was weak last year. A high draft or 3rd round DE will make huge difference. We need one more permanent piece to go with Abe, Babs, and Jerry and rotate Sid and Kroy in.

not necessarily...you think a rookie will come in here and generate more of a pass rush then what kroy could give us, or sid, or davis??Why should kroy be the rotator when he has earned his playing time and should be a starter??

If we draft OL in the first round it will be for depth. Draft for depth in the first as opposed to draft a starting defense-man?

I don't see anything wrong with Baker, Blalock, Dahl or Clabo. Our Center is done, I agree. However what Center is worth a 19th overall pick in this draft?

If we draft Oline it would be a Tackle, Clabo can be replaced, so can Dahl, and even Blalock, I dont think we go crazy replacing Oline, but I think a RT can change our Oline, from Average to Good.

not necessarily...you think a rookie will come in here and generate more of a pass rush then what kroy could give us, or sid, or davis??Why should kroy be the rotator when he has earned his playing time and should be a starter??

Yes a rookie can be an upgrade in pass rush over Sid, Davis, and JA98. Sid didnt do much lastlast year.

Edited by Jaymadd

Javon Kearse? He's sooooo done. Grant maybe....but you draft a rookie DE if he's better then what you got.

And as already mentioned, we don't have a 2nd round pick at the moment.

Yes a rookie can be an upgrade in pass rush over Sid, Davis, and JA98. Sid didnt do much lastlast year.

correct, if he is a upgrade over the people you named, then if we draft a DE with our first pick, he wouldnt be a starter because kroy would be the other starter. i dont know who would be to keen on drafting a first rounder to come off the bench..He could be ja55's replacement, but that wouldnt be instantly..

My thought as well. I think "The Beerman" deserves a shot at the starting LDE spot. I know many think he is better suited to play RDE but I would like someone to explain to me why your "pass rusher" must be a RDE! I do get that most QB's are right handed so therefore your pass rusher typically comes from the blind side BUT in order to get pressure like we want we need both LDE and RDE to get good pressure and put up sacks. Kroy had 5 sacks in his 1st year of any real playing time. Give this guy more snaps at LDE and I think we put up more sacks!

correct, if he is a upgrade over the people you named, then if we draft a DE with our first pick, he wouldnt be a starter because kroy would be the other starter. i dont know who would be to keen on drafting a first rounder to come off the bench..He could be ja55's replacement, but that wouldnt be instantly..

I just dont see Kroy starting at LDE everydown, he really struggled against the run at LDE, I think he would start out being the 1st option to come in on passing downs at LDE until the rookie can step his game up with the help of Coach Ray. I do think however that if Kroy or Sid can show they can be consistent stopping the run at RDE they could play running downs at RDE instead of Abe and we use Abe like we did in 2008. If we did draft a DE DAvis/JA98 would lose the most snaps IMO.

I am truly hoping we make a play for Morgan if he falls to 14.

Edited by Jaymadd

Think aout it, and I could be totally wrong here, but why do you suppose that

Clabo and Dahl were both issued 1st round tenders, why was that? Why not just lock

them up for a multi-year deals? Could it be that TD'S train of thought is "Although

i think that both are valuable to us at present, i think we need better talent

to protect our #1 investment (MR2)". Not to mention, I believe their contracts

both run out in a couple of years, why not start the OL rebuild now, rather than later?

Like I've previously stated, the injury to PJ (yeah, I know a rookie DT) was

vastly underestimated with regards to our 2009 pass rushing effectiveness.

Also, do you think think that EL SID and the Beerman were drafted by TD simply

for depth at the DE position?, Keep in mind that this particular GM is, or so I've

been led to believe is a master at drafting gems in the mid/later rounds. Bottom line

is only time will tell as to how far off base my thinking is ;)

You lost me with your suggestion for the non-existent second round pick (or maybe when you suggested that Grant or Kearse still had value). But to answer your original question, neither Sidbury, Biermann or Davis look like top-flight DEs at this point, and even if one of them eventually reaches that point, Abraham will be done by then. I don't think Abraham's fall-off last year was just a blip. I think it's more likely that 2008 was a blip and his career is about to tail off dramatically.

I wouldn't have a problem with an OLB in the first, but I still think DE is a higher priority. If a top-tier DE prospect is there at 19, go get him. Otherwise, go for that linebacker.

I don't remember Sid the Kid getting a whole lot of playing time, and when he did he came away with a sack and forced/recovery fumble for a TD.

As for your response, I hardly think the 19th overall pick should be use to make our RT postition from average to simply good. Clabo isn't average either.

Think aout it, and I could be totally wrong here, but why do you suppose that

Clabo and Dahl were both issued 1st round tenders, why was that? Why not just lock

them up for a multi-year deals? Could it be that TD'S train of thought is "Although

i think that both are valuable to us at present, i think we need better talent

to protect our #1 investment (MR2)". Not to mention, I believe their contracts

both run out in a couple of years, why not start the OL rebuild now, rather than later?

Like I've previously stated, the injury to PJ (yeah, I know a rookie DT) was

vastly underestimated with regards to our 2009 pass rushing effectiveness.

Also, do you think think that EL SID and the Beerman were drafted by TD simply

for depth at the DE position?, Keep in mind that this particular GM is, or so I've

been led to believe is a master at drafting gems in the mid/later rounds. Bottom line

is only time will tell as to how far off base my thinking is ;)

I think that idea of TD's train of thought is a fairly lengthy reach. However I agree that both Sid the Kid and Beer-man are worth a whole lot more to use than simply depth.

Davis-128th pick in 2005; After 5 years it is safe to say he is nothing more than a backup at best.

Anderson-#8 2007 draft; I gave him his 3 years he is officially a top 10 bust.

Biermann-#154 2008; Developing/emerging player with potential on passing downs only. Might happen or might not. Too big of a risk to leave the the DE spot unaddressed for a 3rd year in the new regime.

Sidbury-#125 2009 draft; Barely saw the field. Not ready for primetime? Nothing special even when he was on the field currently. Maybe in the future but right now it is between difficult to say and it doesn't sound good he couldn't get more snaps.

Abraham will be 32 years old this season. Did he have a down year or is this a sign of decining production? I am not trying to be a negative Nancy but since it may DE's a couple of years to develop they need to have a contingency plan. Worst case scenario the LDE and RDE become ineffective. When that happens Revis, Aso and Bailey in his prime will have trouble stopping the passing game.

Getting a DE 100+ spots earlier in the draft has a much higher probability of success than a late round development player. Why would they lay down and not try? It's been 3 years since drafting Jamaal so I think the "once bitten twice shy" mantra needs to be tossed out the window.

And these are the dominating DE's of the Atlanta Falcons. :( There is no way the pass rush which has been in the bottom of the league for a long time will be left unadressed for the 3rd year in a row for the new front office. Not a chance. NFL stands for Not For Long and that pertains to the staff as well. In year 3 a problem has yet to be unresolved especially by staying pat with the current personnel then the staff needs to update their resume. That is not my personal wish for them. That is just how it goes in that business.

I am sure we will draft another DE in this DE-strong draft. I hope TD is planning on upgrading the OL with this draft as well, even if not for an instant starter. C needs a replacement groomed, and our RT and RG pass-blocking was terrible against the best Dlines this year. Not based on sacks, because Matt would throw it away or check-down. But he rarely ever had time to go downfield, or so it appeared to me.

Protect Ryan. Draft some oline talent, this draft and next.

Davis-128th pick in 2005; After 5 years it is safe to say he is nothing more than a backup at best.

Biermann-#154 2008; Developing/emerging player with potential on passing downs only. Might happen or might not. Too big of a risk to leave the the DE spot unaddressed for a 3rd year in the new regime.

Sidbury-#125 2009 draft; Barely saw the field. Not ready for primetime? Nothing special even when he was on the field currently. Maybe in the future but right now it is between difficult to say and it doesn't sound good he couldn't get more snaps.

Abraham will be 32 years old this season. Did he have a down year or is this a sign of decining production? I am not trying to be a negative Nancy but since it may DE's a couple of years to develop they need to have a contingency plan. Worst case scenario the LDE and RDE become ineffective. When that happens Revis, Aso and Bailey in his prime will have trouble stopping the passing game.

Getting a DE 100+ spots earlier in the draft has a much higher probability of success than a late round development player. Why would they lay down and not try? It's been 3 years since drafting Jamaal so I think the "once bitten twice shy" mantra needs to be tossed out the window.

And these are the dominating DE's of the Atlanta Falcons. :( There is no way the pass rush which has been in the bottom of the league for a long time will be left unadressed for the 3rd year in a row for the new front office. Not a chance. NFL stands for Not For Long and that pertains to the staff as well. In year 3 a problem has yet to be unresolved especially by staying pat with the current personnel then the staff needs to update their resume. That is not my personal wish for them. That is just how it goes in that business.

Excellent assessment, Phatty. +1

hit the nail on the head. and i think it's safe to say charles grant (lazy fat sack of crap) and jevon kearse (was he even in the league last year???) are not the answer.

I don't remember Sid the Kid getting a whole lot of playing time, and when he did he came away with a sack and forced/recovery fumble for a TD.

As for your response, I hardly think the 19th overall pick should be use to make our RT postition from average to simply good. Clabo isn't average either.

He got enough snaps for me to see he has a little ways to go before we can count on him to produce consistently, he did show some promise, which is good

Clabo struggles with speed rushers on the outside in pass protection, Clabo would fit better at Gaurd which would upgrade the Guard position. A Rookie who can handle speed rushers, yet is a good run blocker can be productive for us at RT. Clabo is an average RT, but he would be a better Guard.

The tape doesnt lie my friend.