Falcons Fans - We Are Standing on the Brink of Hubris

Radiohead

I was ecstatic before the 2009 season. Ryan was coming off of an unprecedented performance in his rookie season which earned him NFL Rookie of the Year Award. Our Head Coach won coach of the year and our new GM won Exec. of the year.

-- The waves of change are on the horizon. A lot of people thought we'd make the playoffs and maybe even take over the NFC South crown.

Some critics, didn't (and still don't) see the Falcons as anywhere near legitimate. In their eyes the Falcon's franchise for the most part has been a joke amongst the powerhouses of the NFL for decades.

They argued 2008 was a nice story, but nothing would come to fruition with this organization for another few years.

-- Maybe there is some partial truths to their argument. I wouldn't refute that this team still needs work, but seeing where we were before the 2007 season and where we were after 2008 was incredible.

As Steve Young said in the middle of the 2008 season, "this was a franchise that was dead, flat on their backs and spiraling out of control"

"But, now with Matt Ryan and a **** of GM and head coach at the helm, they are in a position to make some real noise on consistent basis."

We made more than "noise" in 2009. Dealt one of the $hitiest NFL schedules I have ever seen in my life (NFL experts, writers and critics alike will agree), a MOUNTAIN of injuries at starting positions all over the field, beginning in training camp and continuing steadily throughout the season, this team found a way to achieve what many came to believe as the impossible.

I don't need to remind fans of how ludicrous the schedule was, but look at what it is next season.

-- The majority of tough opponents are at home and their are some pretty chalked wins slated for our road games.

Since eliminating the terrors of never achieving back-to-back winning seasons, we can throw that $hit out the window like Blank said and, "start collecting the rings".

Now, I'm not foolish enough to think we can create a Patriot-like Dynasty, but I seriously think this team has a really good chance to begin consistently making the playoffs, which is really, at the end of the day, what matters.

People are "ewwwing" and "ahhhing" about the Saints RIDICULOUSLY lucky ******** of a season, but watch what they do over the next 5 years.

Next year, they'll be lucky to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs and they will constantly go up and down and their team is already falling apart.

Dimitroff and Smith are creating an incredible team that will progress towards consistent excellence instead of this wavering ******** the Saints have.

-- This franchise is on the edge of relevancy, consistency, and NFL post-season excellence. Just wanted to remind us fans of how great these next few years will be with Dimitroff and Smith at the helm.

GO FALCONS

Edited by FalconsBlogger

I like what you had to say, but you do know what hubris means, right? I mean, the connotation that goes with it is generally one of beings so overly proud that it bites you in the rear end later.

And because of that, the flowing confidence in your post made me kind of wary...

I'm not trying to put you down, I was just curious what you were goin' for.

I was ecstatic before the 2009 season. Ryan was coming off of an unprecedented performance in his rookie season which earned him NFL Rookie of the Year Award. Our Head Coach won coach of the year and our new GM won Exec. of the year.

-- The waves of change are on the horizon. A lot of people thought we'd make the playoffs and maybe even take over the NFC South crown.

Some critics, didn't (and still don't) see the Falcons as anywhere near legitimate. In their eyes the Falcon's franchise for the most part has been a joke amongst the powerhouses of the NFL for decades.

They argued 2008 was a nice story, but nothing would come to fruition with this organization for another few years.

-- Maybe there is some partial truths to their argument. I wouldn't refute that this team still needs work, but seeing where we were before the 2007 season and where we were after 2008 was incredible.

As Steve Young said in the middle of the 2008 season, "this was a franchise that was dead, flat on their backs and spiraling out of control"

"But, now with Matt Ryan and a **** of GM and head coach at the helm, they are in a position to make some real noise on consistent basis."

We made more than "noise" in 2009. Dealt one of the $hitiest NFL schedules I have ever seen in my life (NFL experts, writers and critics alike will agree), a MOUNTAIN of injuries at starting positions all over the field, beginning in training camp and continuing steadily throughout the season, this team found a way to achieve what many came to believe as the impossible.

I don't need to remind fans of how ludicrous the schedule was, but look at what it is next season.

-- The majority of tough opponents are at home and their are some pretty chalked wins slated for our road games.

Since eliminating the terrors of never achieving back-to-back winning seasons, we can throw that $hit out the window like Blank said and, "start collecting the rings".

Now, I'm not foolish enough to think we can create a Patriot-like Dynasty, but I seriously think this team has a really good chance to begin consistently making the playoffs, which is really, at the end of the day, what matters.

People are "ewwwing" and "ahhhing" about the Saints RIDICULOUSLY lucky ******** of a season, but watch what they do over the next 5 years.

Next year, they'll be lucky to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs and they will constantly go up and down and their team is already falling apart.

Dimitroff and Smith are creating an incredible team that will progress towards consistent excellence instead of this wavering ******** the Saints have.

-- This franchise is on the edge of relevancy, consistency, and NFL post-season excellence. Just wanted to remind us fans of how great these next few years will be with Dimitroff and Smith at the helm.

GO FALCONS

Great post. Very well said.

I like your post. It was a nice read. However, Im confused about your thread title. Hubris means an over-abundance of arrogance, which contradicts your post. I think we are on our way to being an elite franchise, and we have Arthur Blank and Thomas Dimitroff to thank, but we cant start thinking that this is a given. Falcons fans... lets bide our time. Good things are gonna happen. Let the Saints fans come to us pounding their chests. We will have our time in the sun, I truly believe this. And its not hubris talking.

I like your post. It was a nice read. However, Im confused about your thread title. Hubris means an over-abundance of arrogance, which contradicts your post. I think we are on our way to being an elite franchise, and we have Arthur Blank and Thomas Dimitroff to thank, but we cant start thinking that this is a given. Falcons fans... lets bide our time. Good things are gonna happen. Let the Saints fans come to us pounding their chests. We will have our time in the sun, I truly believe this. And its not hubris talking.

Agreed, I should have made it more clear.

-- I wrote this post 1/2 to acknowledge our overflowing joy as fans, but also so that we could be aware that we may be on the path towards this.

Our fanbase is great, but I never want to end up like Patriots fans.

FalconsBlogger, that was excellent young man!!!! Do you have a blog? If so post the address. I'd be interested in your thoughts if this is how you write!

**** YES!!!!

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

-- I do have one, but keep up with it only so often.

My dream is to take over D. Ledbetter's (or really all of the crappy writers at AJC) job and write something fans actually want to read and/or something with substance. I just feel like we deserve better.

Writing and the Falcons are some of my major passions in life...