How do you evaluate players who play for,

I read all the time in these forums where players are compared or evaluated by fans based on various means of doing so.

Some people go by stats, some people go by college history, some people look at injury records. Player history. Some people go by other factors.

How do you evaluate talent when it comes to players for the Falcons who are currently on the roster, and players you would like to be on the roster be it through the draft of free agency?

I'm asking you how you do this, I'm just curious as to what the most important factors might be in comparison between everyone on how they base their opinions.

Would I be wrong in saying "Player history is the most important factor"?

I don't know what you mean by "player history" or "college history" as opposed to stats, but for me the best way to evaluate a player is to watch them play.

If I haven't had the opportunity to do that then I read what others are saying and try to get a sense of strengths and weaknesses.

And I may look at stats to round out the picture.

I don't know what you mean by "player history" or "college history" as opposed to stats, but for me the best way to evaluate a player is to watch them play.

If I haven't had the opportunity to do that then I read what others are saying and try to get a sense of strengths and weaknesses.

And I may look at stats to round out the picture.

+1 For showing you aren't afraid to answer! THANK YOU!

When you say "I don't know what you mean by player history or college stats", that's exactly what I am talking about". This is a question.

Player evaluation means and needs to be defined before a person starts preaching the gospel as to how great a player is in my opinion.

"How the heck did they or the person saying LETS BRING THEM HOME TD come to the conclusion that the player they want on the Atlanta Falcons team start to begin with"?.

Once again, I am ASKING A QUESTION, and I ask - "How do you evaluate a player who plays for the Atlanta Falcons or a player that you WOULD LIKE TO PLAY FOR THE Atlanta Falcons"?

It's a hard question to answer. Make no mistake about that.

But if you are gonna comment on the players so much and are a true fan then you should at least take the time to post your opinion as to how and why here.

"We all wish for a common cause, yeah it might not change our lives but it might make it brighter than the sun if not for one day several, and that's an Atlanta Falcons Superbowl Win!!!!!!!!".

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Major Falcon

Edited by Major Falcon

I personally read the abbreviated scouting reports and then see if I can find video on the player. I find allot of highly touted players don't seem to be worth all the hype when put to the ol, eye ball test. After seeing video I'll go back and read a few more reports/articles on the player to balance things out.

Team Graham

Some scouting reports, but mostly watching games/replays. I try hard to stay away from highlight videos (positive or negative). I for one am a firm believer in work ethic and attitude... those "intangibles" that you can't coach. Most people coming out of college still have the ego/lack of maturity that never transfers to a professional level, sadly in football as well as other professions.

99% of the people on these boards dont watch game/film.. they just look at the stats at the end of the game..

Ie who has the most sacks, who has the most yards, least INTs, etc.. Thats all that is important to most people on these forums.

Either that or by Madden ranking.

Well when it comes to players on the Falcons thats easy because I watch every game so I know what their strengths and weaknesses are. I also see how they have progressed through the season and you will see players that make a lot of progress ie Decoud and you will see players who don't get better. Then at the end of the season we look at the players who have had a good season and usually you don't want to replace those players. You can also tell from interviews and from their work ethic if those players are good for the team and are going to help us win.

When it comes to looking for other players, I like to watch other teams and keep track of other players. Then you look at players who play a position that we are weak at. Did you notice how there were a lot of people saying bring this corner or this defensive end home and not as much for quarterbacks and mlb's because we try to help out our weakest position. We don't want to shell out big money for a position we are average or good at we want to get upgraded at the weak positions. The first thing you look at when you want to bring in a player to trade for or through FA is will he player make us better than we already are. We try to also look at his character after the Vick incident no one wants to go through that again. Then you look into his injury history and his contract in any order. Age doesnt play a big factor in FA unless we are trying to get younger but we are doing a good job of getting young talent and veteran leadership.

Drafting is the hard part because unless you watch a lot of college players and the process they go through when they are in the NFL then you really won't know how they will do. QB is always the toughest position because the guy could be the most talented player but if his head isn't right he will be a bad pick. It's easier to draft positions like LB and WR because seem to have high sucess rates and it is easier to transition into the NFL compared to other positions. Unless you watch these players or you are reading into a lot of what scouts say you won't really know what you are going to get.

I hope this gives you an idea.

I watch all of the new, emerging, or controversial Falcons players whether it is at the Dome or when away I watch live then rewatch via DVR. I think many people just watch where the ball goes and somehow think they see every subtle movement that 22 players simultaneously in motion make. I do some of that but also mix it in with watching a player specifically. When I am at the Dome it is much easier to watch the DB's and WR's because typically on TV they are off camera as the play develops.

As for these guys in college, there are 50+ games every Saturday and not all of them are televised. If they are from one of the top schools and on Thursday night or Saturday evening then chances are I have watched them in a few games and perhaps a bowl game. I read all of the scout reports and take note of the combine. I might even watch some of the highlight videos of some of the draftees the Falcons may pick up. I take the last one with a grain of salt since it is nothing more than a guy promoting his best 5 moments out of 1000's of plays while playing it to rap music.

So I don't pretend to know a great deal about the draftees and I don't get into the player worship but I do have a pretty good idea of the Falcons players.