Draft Thoughts...

egoprime II

Some thoughts about our offseason so far...

About signing Dunta Robinson: I am concerned he hasnt had a lot of INTs, even with having the best DE in the league playing in front of him. Other than that I am glad our front office saw the need for a veteran, instead of drafting yet another young corner to (hopefully) develop.

Tye Hill looks like the odd man out, to me. Showed nothing late last season, and if there was a time for him to stand out, last season was it. Now his chances will be far fewer, and he is probably too expensive to keep as a backup...unless he does something special, like maybe on special teams, he's gone.

DeMorrio Williams, Michael Boley and Stephen Nicholas were all drafted in the fourth and fifth round. This is why I do not think LB will be a focus in the first round, unless we draft Graham, play him at OLB and let him become a rush DE in passing situations. Otherwise we look for a LB in the third to fifth rounds.

Concerning our D-line: Abraham, Biermann, Davis, Sidbury are our guys, if we draft a DE in the first, one of them probably would have to go, unless Davis rotated with Babineaux as well as Abraham. Our DTs are Babineaux, Perry, Walker, Lewis, Johnson and Anderson. Someone already has to go, my guess is Anderson, unless he comes on strong this season, his fourth in the league. Its possible, I suppose...

O-line: Needs improvement, somewhere somehow. Right tackle is a real concern here in my mind. If we want someone to be able to start this season, we could very well draft here in the first round, depending of course on who is available. If there is a run on DE's, one of the top four tackles could get pushed down to here, if so Dimitroff will be hard pressed not to draft one. I look for center to be a focus as well, but not in the first round. Our O line depth is very very thin...

Draft Conclusions: To me our draft slot is wide open, we could go after a DE, DT, LB, even OL or WR. This is what I think...with Perry being a near 26 year old virtual rookie, and Babineaux and his legal situation with the drug charges, and with Dimitroff saying our DE's were not as effective because of our DT's not tying up enough blockers and Smith's preference for a very strong middle of the D line...I think if Dan Williams is there, he would be very hard to pass up in the first round.

Speaking of that first round pick...if one of the QBs falls to here, then the Falcons will be getting some trade offers, for sure. Would it be worth say, two second round picks to give up our first rounder? hmm...

Edited by egoprime II

Nice post. I shall comment.

FYI, we were ranked 26th in sacks for 2009 (obvious lack of pressure hurts the secondary.) The Texans ranked 25th.

I would also like to note, for Dante and Tye Hill's sake, that to get back up to speed when you have injuries like that takes at least 2 years, at least that is the general professional opinion.

Tye Hill I'm sure will get his chance to battle for that last roster spot for the 2010 season, maybe he shows improvement.

While I agree that we shouldn't address OLB in the 1st, only Stephen Nicholas was one of TD's picks out of your list. Also, we had bigger needs at that time. Peterson will not be back next year unless for depth so we'll need a replacement by 2011. We do have Robert James and Spencer Adkins as recent picks at LB to look at as well. OLB makes sense in some ways, especially when there's a guy like Kindle or Weatherspoon available.

At DT we have a 1st rounder and a should-be pro bowler. I can't see us getting a DT in the first. Also, why would you get rid of Jamaal who is relatively cheap and can back up two positions?

The OL does need help, but keep in mind it's the same group we had pretty much in 2008, and in 2009 we faced some tough opponents, and we only allowed the 8th fewest sacks in the NFL (11th fewest QB hits.) We ranked 15th in rushing average, which considering all of our problems with consistency and injury at RB, isn't too shabby (also consider how our passing game fell off, increasing focus on the run.) Also, keep in mind our OL was injured all year. We need depth, not necessarily a starter.

I believe DE is our need in the first. To be brief:

-We ranked 26th in sacks last year!

-Will help our CB's and LB's in coverage (that's why they call it 'pressure!')

-We may have trouble with our DT's yet it's obvious we can't invest another 1st-rounder in a position where we are set when healthy and not suspended.

-Abe is getting old and we can't be positive he'll bounce back next year.

-We will have two DE spots of need (after Abe retires or falls completely off.)

-We can't bank (even though I like them both) on neither Sidbury nor Biermann.

Basically, DL is the area where we suffered last year and are least sure will be 'okay' this year. DE is the position where we are most unsure about the production in 2010. It also has the highest benefit to us for 2010 and the future as far as immediate impact and insurance.

Would like to close with saying OT, DE, OLB all make sense to me, it's just that I think DE makes the most.

interceptions are not the only stat to go off of to tell if a cb is good or not....most good cbs dont have the ball thrown in their direction

You're right. FWIW I decided to check pro football focus on some CB stats for 2009. I'm honna make a new topic for people to discuss on...

Juice makes two points that are on my mind as well.

First, you don't drop Jamaal Anderson just because he hasn't met expectations. He may only be a depth player at this point, but he's a good one, he's cheap, and he covers both DE and DT. An outright release would be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Second, DE is the top need in the draft, but I'll be darned if I know who will be there at 19, and if they'll be good value. The 4-3 names that come to mind for the first round are Graham, Pierre-Paul, Morgan, Griffen and Dunlap. Morgan strikes me as the only bona-fide top 20 guy but probably doesn't fall. Pierre-Paul is intriguing but has no real body of work and the hype scares me. Ditto for Griffen. Dunlap has too many question marks over his character. The may leave Graham as the last man standing, but is that any way to settle on a pick? It'll be interesting.

Juice makes two points that are on my mind as well.

First, you don't drop Jamaal Anderson just because he hasn't met expectations. He may only be a depth player at this point, but he's a good one, he's cheap, and he covers both DE and DT. An outright release would be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Second, DE is the top need in the draft, but I'll be darned if I know who will be there at 19, and if they'll be good value. The 4-3 names that come to mind for the first round are Graham, Pierre-Paul, Morgan, Griffen and Dunlap. Morgan strikes me as the only bona-fide top 20 guy but probably doesn't fall. Pierre-Paul is intriguing but has no real body of work and the hype scares me. Ditto for Griffen. Dunlap has too many question marks over his character. The may leave Graham as the last man standing, but is that any way to settle on a pick? It'll be interesting.

I understand the buyer's remorse with JA55 but he still provides depth. Plus he's young. Who knows.

Yeah, I'll take Morgan, Griffen, or Graham with a smile on my face. I feel the same way about JPP and absolutely do not want him. Dunlap is a last resort, in fact I'd rather than Weatherspoon at OLB or an OT before Dunlap.

I have confidence that one of my top 3 DE's will fall to us at 19. If not, we can probably trade down and either get Weatherspoon or an OT.

Very comfortable with the depth of this draft and where we're drafting at though. We really need to get into the 2nd whether it's by trading up or down, though.