USC DLinemen

KMarch

So I see that since we picked up Robinson, many of us are really splitting hairs over DEs (Griffen, Morgan, Graham). My question is this: It seems like there have been a ton (hyperbole of course) of high-drafted DLinemen from USC during Pete Carroll's tenure there. Yet, I can't think of a single solid NFL DLinemen that came from there. Of course, the same could be said (on a smaller scale) for GT and UM.

This concerns me of course, because I wonder if they are teaching certain techniques at USC that don't translate well to the NFL. Some of you may scoff at this reasoning, but I know scouts have to consider this. In fact, I remember a story that James Laurinaitis told last year about a scout questioned him about the last time OSU had a linebacker that was worth a s$%t in the NFL.

Thoughts on this?

I mean Clay Matthews played that DE hybrid role for USC (The same thing Everson Griffen played)....Matthews had 10 sacks last year.... At USC he had 3 sacks his senior year..

So yea... Clay Matthews...So there you go ...lol

I get what you are trying to say tho... The one thing i will say is that normally USC teams are really stacked so an average player can normally look great look great... This year was totally different... USC wasnt as talented or the talent has not blossomed yet so Everson Griffen was "The Guy" ... Redshirt Freshman DE Nick Perry is going to be a beast... I think he will be a physical freak similar to Everson Griffen... But yea ... He missed like 5 or 6 games.... But guys like DE Nick Perry, LB Michael Morgan,DT Jurrell Casey,and LB Malcolm Smith will become that great talent USC normally has but this year they was not overly stacked and Everson Griffen held his on.... He could have produced more but the guy had a good year.

Yeah, I had thought of him, but he's playing LB, not staying on the DL as Griffen is projected to do.

I mean a 3-4 pass rushing LB is basically a pass rushing DE in a 3-4 scheme.... Thats why the best 3-4 DE's in the league played DE is college.... So Clay Matthews technically has to count...lol

he is all LE in my opinion, he would be limited as a 3-4 olb in pass coverage

USC used to drop him back in coverage at that hybrid DE position from time to time....... I think he can play LDE but some think he can play 3-4 OLB... He is athletic enough... I just think 4-3 DE is the best fit.

So I see that since we picked up Robinson, many of us are really splitting hairs over DEs (Griffen, Morgan, Graham). My question is this: It seems like there have been a ton (hyperbole of course) of high-drafted DLinemen from USC during Pete Carroll's tenure there. Yet, I can't think of a single solid NFL DLinemen that came from there. Of course, the same could be said (on a smaller scale) for GT and UM.

This concerns me of course, because I wonder if they are teaching certain techniques at USC that don't translate well to the NFL. Some of you may scoff at this reasoning, but I know scouts have to consider this. In fact, I remember a story that James Laurinaitis told last year about a scout questioned him about the last time OSU had a linebacker that was worth a s$%t in the NFL.

Thoughts on this?

You said DLinemen ao i can assume that DT Mike Patterson qualifies. I see a lot of what you are saying in a lot of major programs. I blame it on the evolution of the spread offense.

Nope, I don't scoff at that at all. In fact, It's good thinking outside the box and certainly worth considering.

With that said, I'am not sure there is anything to it, but I would be interested in any additional information.

The devel is in the details.

i understand what you're trying to say, but sometimes guys are exceptions. look at our team for example. how many boston college qbs have been good in the pros? i can think of 2. how many UAB wideouts and NIU backs have done good?

USC usually spits out some productive pro players.

Yeah, but again I'm talking about big programs who usually have a lot of high round draft picks. UAB, NIU, and BC (even though they spread some good years around here and there) don't really apply. I think Ellis is still living off his reputation from USC a little. Plus, I don't think he's made it through an entire season yet. Mike Patterson is solid, and maybe the exception to the rule so far of USC dlinemen who play on the actual dline.

It is the same argument with WRs from UF when Steve Spurrier was there. Some schools get reputations for producing studs at certain positions, and others have a reputation for producing busts.

People still call Penn State Linebacker U, but who was the last good LB from PSU to be a Pro Bowler?

How many Nebraska CBs have gone in the first round since the Falcons blew it with Bruce Pickens and Michael Booker?

It is the same argument with WRs from UF when Steve Spurrier was there. Some schools get reputations for producing studs at certain positions, and others have a reputation for producing busts.

Exactly. UF WRs have been taken with a grain of salt in the last few drafts. Louis Murphy had all the measurables but dropped to the 4th b/c of the offense he played in. I'm asking whether Griffen is that much of a stud (think Harvin to remain w/ UF example) that the recent history of players to come out of that program at similar positions should not be considered?

I'm asking whether Griffen is that much of a stud (think Harvin to remain w/ UF example) that the recent history of players to come out of that program at similar positions should not be considered?

I think Griffen will buck the trend. And I will tell you why. Griffen spent last season getting coached by Jethro Franklin, Mario Willams' former coach from Houston. Franklin came back to USC in 2009, and the light seemed to come on for Griffen.

Never underestimate the value of great position coaches!!!

I think Griffen will buck the trend. And I will tell you why. Griffen spent last season getting coached by Jethro Franklin, Mario Willams' former coach from Houston. Franklin came back to USC in 2009, and the light seemed to come on for Griffen.

Never underestimate the value of great position coaches!!!

Good stuff, thanks.