Why is Michael Jenkins bashed on the board ?

Is he a very good number 2wr ..No but he is a capable number 2wr .(without a doubt) Take a look at SD team they have a good number 1wr and a pass catching Tight END ..its the same formula we do have hear now with White and Tony G

Malcom Floyd 45 receptions 776 yards 1 td

Michael Jenkins 50 receptions 635 yards 1 td

Devery Henderson 51 receptions 804 yards 2td

Roy Williams 38 receptions 596 yards 7tds

Austin Collie 60 receptions 676 yards

Get my drift most teams with a legit number 1 wr and a Pass catching tight end they dont need there 2nd wr to put up monster numbers

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he a very good number 2wr ..No but he is a capable number 2wr .(without a doubt) Take a look at SD team they have a good number 1wr and a pass catching Tight END ..its the same formula we do have hear now with White and Tony G

Get my drift most teams with a legit number 1 wr and a Pass catching tight end they dont need there 2nd wr to put up monster numbers

i really dont see how these numbers help an argument for him though

7 Drops - that's my complaint - he drops 1 pass out of every 12.85 thrown to him - in comparison Roddy drops 1 pass out of every 32.8 - Gonzales 1 drop out of every 33.5

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=052

Pat Yasinskas had an article in his blog once that showed Jenkins catches a good bit higher % of passes his way than Roddy.

7 Drops - that's my complaint - he drops 1 pass out of every 12.85 thrown to him - in comparison Roddy drops 1 pass out of every 32.8 - Gonzales 1 drop out of every 33.5

Pretty much the stat right there, and lets mention it is against the #2 corner mostly in man without a safety.

It is the effort that he just doesn't show, example jump balls. The dude is a giant but you have to hit him right on the numbers.

i don't have a problem with jenkins numbers i have a problem with

1- drops too many easy passes for the amount of balls that go his way

2- his inability to get yac

3- plays soft as **** for a 6'4 wideout...does not use his height as an advantage

he dropped a lot of crucial passes last year -2 TDs that would've won us games (giants and 2nd saints game), clutch 3rd down convo against the saints in the 1st game.

i really dont see how these numbers help an argument for him though

Year before last it was 50 catches and 777yds and we went 11-5 without a decent TE.

M. Jenkins produces solid numbers.

All these guys who think WR is a priority are lost.

All these guys bashing M. Jenkins for putting up comparable #2 WR numbers when he is actually the 3rd option on offense are simply lost.

The drops were bad this year, definitely needs work but the guy is a good #2 and is a great blocker.

Pat Yasinskas had an article in his blog once that showed Jenkins catches a good bit higher % of passes his way than Roddy.

which he should, seeing as roddy's usually going against #1 corners and double coverage AND gets thrown at whether he's open or not at times because ryan has confidence that he'll make a play...

Year before last it was 50 catches and 777yds and we went 11-5 without a decent TE.

All these guys bashing M. Jenkins for putting up comparable #2 WR numbers when he is actually the 3rd option on offense are simply lost.

The drops were bad this year, definitely needs work but the guy is a good #2 and is a great blocker.

im just saying the folks posted all avg more yards per catch than him minus Collie.....but **** Collie had 7tds.......I think Jenks needs to step it up and find the endzone or atleast catch every catchable ball. Us signing Finn again tells me that we need a guy who is reliable.....it aint Jenks.....**** Finn is a survivor

and to think we replaced elam when he lost us 2 games.

inopportune drops = no playoffs

A couple drops arent going to decide a game, especially if it isnt TDs.

A FG is points. Points win games, A drop might stall a drive but a missed FG can cost a game.

In essence inopportune drops doesnt equal no playoffs.

I don't think he deserves any more love than what he already gets. He blocks well. Great. Let him play LT. He is not an effective 2nd WR. He does not punish teams for doubling Roddy. He does not run good routes. He does not make clutch catches (the lone exception being the last second win against Dabears last year, i think).

Not only that, but the names you mentioned are in not way comparable to Jenks. Austin Collie was a 4th option behind Wayne, Clark, and Garcon (765 yds, 4 tds). 4th on the depth chart but same #s as our 2nd WR. Roy Williams actually got in the endzone often, Jenks did only once. Henderson was a big play machine for NO, as shown by his YPC. Same thing with Floyd, his YPC dwarfs Jenks.

Jenkins is a subpar #2WR for anyteam trying to compete for a championship in the NFL, imo. Look at the stats for all of the #2 WR on playoff teams last year. With the exception of the Jets, I'll bet that Jenkins had worse numbers than all of them.

A couple drops arent going to decide a game, especially if it isnt TDs.

A FG is points. Points win games, A drop might stall a drive but a missed FG can cost a game.

In essence inopportune drops doesnt equal no playoffs.

he dropped 2 TDs that would've decided games.

we lost by 3 pts to the giants and saints. jenkins dropped WIIIIIIIIDE open TD passes in both of them.

Hes not that bad of a WR, it just that he finds a way to drop passes in the most needed situations. For example, when we were in the red zone during the MNF game at New Orleans this year, it was 3rd and something, and he ran something that looked like an out route, he was wide open, and he just plain dropped it. That would have been huge if he had made that catch. Another example, his drop in the end zone vs the Giants this year. If he had made the catch, we would almost assuredly have won. And finally, the 2nd game vs the Saints this year, when he was streaking down the field, he had burned whoever was covering him, and the pass falls onto his hands, he bobbles it, and drops it. I dont want to get rid of him, and i know that no one's perfect in whatever they do, but if you are being paid millions of dollars to do what you do, you better be pretty d@mn close to perfect in my book, and those drops were far from perfection.

He's produced a good year, only ONE time. One. And promptly regressed this year. Last year he was a competent, although not great, no.2, for the very first time in his career. He promptly remembered that he was, in fact, Michael Jenkins, and started playing like a no. 3-4 again.

Guys, this isn't even up for debate. When you really dig into the numbers and look at drops and catching percentage, in addition to actually watching the games and focusing on Jenkins, he's not a good, or decent no. 2. He's a great blocker that gets tons of balls thrown his way for a no. 2, and capitalizes on it much less than other no. 2 wr's in the league.