PFT: Sweed-to-Falcons rumors are off the mark

sporkdevil

There's a rampant rumor making the rounds that the Pittsburgh Steelers are in the process of trading receiver Limas Sweed to the Atlanta Falcons.

Per a league source, the rumor is not true.

Though it's entirely possible that the Steelers are willing to declare Sweed a bust and move him on to a team with an affinity for pass-catchers who can't consistently catch passes (Jacksonville, anyone?), the Falcons won't be the destination.

Look for Atlanta to stand pat with their current depth chart at wideout, barring a setback in the rehab of Harry Douglas (torn ACL) or the sudden inability of one or more of them to, you know, catch passes.

Hey, rumor must have gotten pretty big. Never made sense though.

Oh yeah, Sweed with his 7 completions is much better. But really, I fully expect Douglas to move into the #2 spot.

and we would be stuck with Jenkins in the slot, and atleast Sweed has potential while Jenkins has shown us he was only good during his contract year and that year was still not impressive whats so ever

and we would be stuck with Jenkins in the slot, and atleast Sweed has potential while Jenkins has shown us he was only good during his contract year and that year was still not impressive whats so ever

Even if we traded for Sweed he would be at the bottom of the depth chart. The dude has potential in the same way a dog turd could potentially turn into a million dollars. Jenkins has shown to be able to block very well, and has pretty good hands. He isn't amazing, but has shown to be able to bring down the ball when needed.

Well in my opinion thats kinda upsetting thinking we are stuck with Jenkins again

yeah, it stinks to have a #2 that ranked 17 in cathces among non #1 WRs (with a QB that threw less than ALL WRs ahead of him). Not to mention one of the best run blocking WRs in the entire NFL.

to think how greedy we have become. just think where we were 5 years ago @ WR.

Even if we traded for Sweed he would be at the bottom of the depth chart. The dude has potential in the same way a dog turd could potentially turn into a million dollars. Jenkins has shown to be able to block very well, and has pretty good hands. He isn't amazing, but has shown to be able to bring down the ball when needed.

LMFAO has pretty good hands....... A new born has better hands then him do you watch what he does on the field or do you just shut your eyes and just assume that he caught it

LMFAO has pretty good hands....... A new born has better hands then him do you watch what he does on the field or do you just shut your eyes and just assume that he caught it

You realize that this year Sweed caught 20% of the passes sent his way?

Jenkins isn't that bad. He regressed a little last year, but has still shown to be a pretty good player. He will likely move down to #3, so we aren't relying on him quite as much.

Well in my opinion thats kinda upsetting thinking we are stuck with Jenkins again

There are 32 #2 WRs out there; for 2009

Jenkins was 16 in # catches, 15 in # yards, 18 in yards per catch. BUT 24th in TDs

He's basically right in the middle of the pack for #2 WRs

And do not forget on the Falcons, he is the 3rd option, first White,second Gonzo,

and if neither of them is open then Jenkins. How often is both White and Gonzo not open?

He's had some pretty good catches over the years. He does need to get better on the routine catches though, definitely.

Don't discount his ability as a blocker either. He's a capable and willing blocker who has benefited our running game too...

putting Sweed over Jenkins is asinine, I don't care how much you like the kid. Jenkins will forever be good in my heart simply for destroying DeAngelo Hall during D-Hall's short stint with Oakland. Shutting up a thorn in this franchise's side always gains brownie points from me.

You realize that this year Sweed caught 20% of the passes sent his way?

Jenkins isn't that bad. He regressed a little last year, but has still shown to be a pretty good player. He will likely move down to #3, so we aren't relying on him quite as much.

I dont think he regressed at all. He just didnt improve.

He had the same number of catches as last season, even w Gonzo getting 85 balls, where the TEs combine for like 27 last season.

He's had some pretty good catches over the years. He does need to get better on the routine catches though, definitely.

Don't discount his ability as a blocker either. He's a capable and willing blocker who has benefited our running game too...

So this one catch is your defense for his whole career okay....

I dont think he regressed at all. He just didnt improve.

He had the same number of catches as last season, even w Gonzo getting 85 balls, where the TEs combine for like 27 last season.

2008 he was pretty dang clutch. Maybe it's in my mind, but I think he had more drops in 2009.

well, that catch is what our whole year was based off of. If we were to use one catch for a players entire career, what catch would Limas Sweed defend off of? A 5 yard curl turned fumble? Or those beautiful slant routes that turned into a bobbled ball?

in the past 2 seasons(which are all that matters, see ROddy White) He has made more spectacular grabs than he has drops.

TD loves Jenkins, and also went on record saying Jenkins played the whole year hurt. He actually didnt play 1 or 2 games, and still had as many catches as in 08. His YPC and TDs were down though, but the addition of GOnzo had alot to do w that since he was Ryans #1 look it seemed.

Like Jenkins or not, as long as your thinking Sweed is an upgrade people arent gonna take your argument for much.

Oh yeah, Sweed with his 7 completions is much better. But really, I fully expect Douglas to move into the #2 spot.

I like Douglas' quickness, hands, and routerunning.

His overall frailty and lack of true deep speed worry me when I think of him being a starter. I could see a big guy with long arms and some quickness just eat him up at the line, or him getting crushed by a safety on a jump ball, and not getting up.

He's a good slot wr. Asking him to do more at his size seems like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

well, that catch is what our whole year was based off of. If we were to use one catch for a players entire career, what catch would Limas Sweed defend off of? A 5 yard curl turned fumble? Or those beautiful slant routes that turned into a bobbled ball?

:lol:

I doubt it's about Sweed. I would think Insane would rather play with 10 players on the field just so Jenkins wasn't there.

There are 32 #2 WRs out there; for 2009

Jenkins was 16 in # catches, 15 in # yards, 18 in yards per catch. BUT 24th in TDs

He's basically right in the middle of the pack for #2 WRs

And do not forget on the Falcons, he is the 3rd option, first White,second Gonzo,

and if neither of them is open then Jenkins. How often is both White and Gonzo not open?

It's about efficiency, not overall numbers. We threw him 90 balls last year, and he had one of the lowest catching percentages and highest drop percentages in the league, and easily one of the worst big play threats as a starter in the league.

He's a well below avg. starting wr. There's no way to deny that.

I like Douglas' quickness, hands, and routerunning.

His overall frailty and lack of true deep speed worry me when I think of him being a starter. I could see a big guy with long arms and some quickness just eat him up at the line, or him getting crushed by a safety on a jump ball, and not getting up.

He's a good slot wr. Asking him to do more at his size seems like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

Frailty? I don't think he ever had any sort of injury history prior to his off-season injury.

He is also about the size of the average CB. Not sure who would eat him up at the line. Plenty of very successful WR's his size or smaller (e.g., DeSean Jackson) Plus, dude is quick.

To be honest, it's not really a matter of if you like him or not. Watching in 08 it is clear that Mularkey freakin loves the guy. Lots of trick plays involving HD. And he was supposed to be in for a bigger role before the injury. Douglas should be just fine.

Edited by sporkdevil

Jenkins has basically reached his ceiling IMO. He's nothing great or nothing terrible, he is serviceable and just OK as a true #2 WR. He'll make a good catch, but he'll also make a crucial or easy drop.

I've never been a big fan of him, but I guess TD likes him and in the end, his opinion is the strongest.

Edit - TD did try to trade for Anquan Boldin. Maybe he doesn't like that Jenks THAT much.