Outside the box thinking

maxatlanta

Jahri Evans is the best OG in the NFL. He is an RFA with the high tag requiring a 1st and 3rd pick from any team that signs him. Of course the Saints would match any offer he recieves. But so would the Seahawks have matched any offer Steve Hutchinson recieved before he departed for Minny. But they couldn't because of the "poision pill" inserted in to Hutch's contract.

If we break the bank for Evans, I mean just bite the bullet and make the man the highest paid OG in the league by a lot, we would be making a huge upgrade while simultaneously dealing a huge blow to New Orleans. All it would require is a rediculous offer to Evans and a poison pill in the contract.

I know its crazy and not "fiscally responsible," but it would make us favorites in the NFC south, and we would also be able to trade Dahl for a decent pick. Maybe this will never happen, but I do wish we'd do it.

I don't even give one thought of consideration towards this. Paying him top OG money which would hurt us cap wise, giving them a first and third that would surely leave gaping holes for now and the future. Not even 1% worth it. It'd hurt us more than it would the Saints.

You don't understand the value of Evans. It would hurt the Saints tremendously to lose him, it would help us tremendously to get him. #19 plus our 3rd rounder is peanuts for what Evans brings.

For the record, I think we all know this isn't happening. But capwise, we currently have very little money invested in our Oline. Baker, Blalcok, McClure, Dahl, Clabo-Total cap number for all 5 OL starters this season is 7.5 million. If we paid 10 million/yr for Evans our overall spending on the OL would still be pretty low.

If you expect a starter with our third round pick then you are are expecting too much. Besides, we would then be able to trade either Dahl or Blalock for a pick or player. This is really a money thing, but as a fan I don't have to pay these guys salaries.

We saw what happened to Seattle when they lost Hutch- Sean Alexander and their rushing game was a shell of its former glorius self. Meanwhile, Minny's rushing attack became dominant.

All that said, I don't think the reason no one has moved on Evans has anything to do with the picks or the money. N.O. is gonna sign him and make him the highest paid G in the league, otherwise he'd already be long gone.

Jahri Evans is the best OG in the NFL. He is an RFA with the high tag requiring a 1st and 3rd pick from any team that signs him. Of course the Saints would match any offer he recieves. But so would the Seahawks have matched any offer Steve Hutchinson recieved before he departed for Minny. But they couldn't because of the "poision pill" inserted in to Hutch's contract.

If we break the bank for Evans, I mean just bite the bullet and make the man the highest paid OG in the league by a lot, we would be making a huge upgrade while simultaneously dealing a huge blow to New Orleans. All it would require is a rediculous offer to Evans and a poison pill in the contract.

I know its crazy and not "fiscally responsible," but it would make us favorites in the NFC south, and we would also be able to trade Dahl for a decent pick. Maybe this will never happen, but I do wish we'd do it.

I may be the only one Max but I like it.

I may be the only one Max but I like it.

The only thing about this "Potential" thing is that it is completely out of character for how TD builds teams. Why mortgage two great picks on one player? This would hurt us in several ways. The Falocns of old would have snapped at this, but look where that got us.

The only thing about this "Potential" thing is that it is completely out of character for how TD builds teams. Why mortgage two great picks on one player? This would hurt us in several ways. The Falocns of old would have snapped at this, but look where that got us.

The biggest issue to me with this idea is we'd be giving the Aints a first and third to add to what they already have. Yeah, we might vastly improve our OL and hurt their OL, but we'd be giving them way to much ammunition to bite us back.