MY UNPOPULAR DRAFT WISH

Hoppy™

Looking at our roster and last year's problems against the run, I am really missing a big "Grady Jackson" presense in the middle... Seems like we have two great interior linemen on the D line in Babs and Jerry, but both seem to be prototypical UT's..... So here is the risky and highly unlikely/unpopular scenario I wouldn't mind playing out on draft day...

TRADING DOWN.

If possible, grabbing an early 2nd rounder and a late 1st for our 19th.....

Draft "Mt. Cody" out of Bama (as you well know, a 6-5" 360" ish boulder) to do exactly what Grady did so well for us when we were stopping the run... Collapse the bubble, keep O-linemen from reaching the second level, clogging the A AND B gap, and freeing up the UT and the LB's the run around and make plays...

Since I am comfortable with JA98 on the field on rushing downs and rotating Sidbury and Biermann on passing downs, I feel pretty comfortable with DE at this point... Especially since I see that Biermann has bulked up to 260....

So than I would like to use the other of the two picks (either the late first or the early second) on a Will Backer......

Lofton is the core and the future of this LB group and I think Stephen Nicholas is coming along great on the strong side..... But Peterson didn't add the speed that I thought he would bring.... In fact, he really doesn't look that much faster than Brooking. So WLB is a definate need. And wherever we take one, or ****........ WHATEVER we do on draft day..... I'll be glad it's TD & Co. not myself or any of us here on the message boards making the calls.... :)

I just can't wait until it's all over so we can sit back and start putting the line up together....

Anyways, just thought I's mix it up and throw out my very unusual scenario for getting a 2nd and keeping the other picks.

I see Cody as more of a 3-4 defensive tackle who can do what Jamal Williams did in San Diego. I'm pretty much sold on Spoon at 19 to be our new Jessie Tuggle, but I can totally see us going in this direction. More picks can never hurt, especially with the way our front office has been lately. (on fire!)

i always wondered why cant you have to big guys anchor the middle in a 4-3 defense like they would demand double teams i mean what would be the weakness of having a Mt. cody/vince wilfork tandem on one team i never quite understood that can u imagine a run between the tackles with two monsters like that anchoring the line

Cody showed up at the combine at a (and this is a quote) "very soft 370". Saban has gone on record as to say that they struggled with keeping his weight in the 360-370 range, and without supervision, he was willing to let his weight go. TD likes speed, physicality and aggression. Cody has two of those, but speed, he does not. Stick with the 19th, get Spoon, or O-Line help (for the love of God, not Pouncey), and move on.

JUST SAY NO TO OUT OF SHAPE GUYS WHO WILL EAT THEIR WAY OUT OF THE LEAGUE IN THREE YEARS!!!!!

Looking at our roster and last year's problems against the run, I am really missing a big "Grady Jackson" presense in the middle... Seems like we have two great interior linemen on the D line in Babs and Jerry, but both seem to be prototypical UT's..... So here is the risky and highly unlikely/unpopular scenario I wouldn't mind playing out on draft day...

TRADING DOWN.

Draft "Mt. Cody" out of Bama (as you well know, a 6-5" 360" ish boulder) to do exactly what Grady did so well for us when we were stopping the run... Collapse the bubble, keep O-linemen from reaching the second level, clogging the A AND B gap, and freeing up the UT and the LB's the run around and make plays...

Since I am comfortable with JA98 on the field on rushing downs and rotating Sidbury and Biermann on passing downs, I feel pretty comfortable with DE at this point... Especially since I see that Biermann has bulked up to 260....

So than I would like to use the other of the two picks (either the late first or the early second) on a Will Backer......

Lofton is the core and the future of this LB group and I think Stephen Nicholas is coming along great on the strong side..... But Peterson didn't add the speed that I thought he would bring.... In fact, he really doesn't look that much faster than Brooking. So WLB is a definate need. And wherever we take one, or ****........ WHATEVER we do on draft day..... I'll be glad it's TD & Co. not myself or any of us here on the message boards making the calls.... :)

I just can't wait until it's all over so we can sit back and start putting the line up together....

Anyways, just thought I's mix it up and throw out my very unusual scenario for getting a 2nd and keeping the other picks.

When does ranking 11th in run defense equate to problems against the run, you lost me after that, and made it even worse by suggesting that we draft Cody.

i always wondered why cant you have to big guys anchor the middle in a 4-3 defense like they would demand double teams i mean what would be the weakness of having a Mt. cody/vince wilfork tandem on one team i never quite understood that can u imagine a run between the tackles with two monsters like that anchoring the line

Exactly....

Grady was considered a strictly 3-4 NT, but he worked **** well for us! I'll never forget that play (was it against Tampa?) when he picked up a guard and tossed him into two other players like he was bowling... hehehhh... Ask ANY LB in a 43 defense, and they will tell you they want a big 350lb mountain in front of them.

Cody would get the Job done on first down and in short yardage situations. He is gonna be a good pro IMO, but a 2 down NT at most(at least initially). I would be happy to see him on our team, he'd fit in as part of our DT rotation. I think people are seriously underrating him- its like they are in denial about what he has put on tape. Our run defense improved as the season wore on, but I think a true fatty NT would really help solidify it. People don't like to acknowledge it, but when you are 28th in the league vs the pass, teams tend to run it a lot less. That is partially responsible for us being 10th vs the run. It will be hard to improve on if we don't actually bring in a fatty NT.

Cody would get the Job done on first down and in short yardage situations. He is gonna be a good pro IMO, but a 2 down NT at most(at least initially). I would be happy to see him on our team, he'd fit in as part of our DT rotation. I think people are seriously underrating him- its like they are in denial about what he has put on tape. Our run defense improved as the season wore on, but I think a true fatty NT would really help solidify it. People don't like to acknowledge it, but when you are 28th in the league vs the pass, teams tend to run it a lot less. That is partially responsible for us being 10th vs the run. It will be hard to improve on if we don't actually bring in a fatty NT.

We already have to pretty good run defenders in Johnson and Walker who are still improving and Smitty already stated what our scheme is and he doesnt fit.

5 words: Grady Jackson fit the scheme

dude, we were desperate when we went and got grady. we were about to start kindal freaking moorhead at NT.

anybody wonder why our run D was horrible with grady at NT, but suddenly improved like 13 spots after we went and got the smaller tackles (jerry and johnson)? both are quick penetrators that can also hold the point...which is what we look for in a NT. not a guy that ties up blocks.

cap is right. cody does NOT fit our scheme.

When does ranking 11th in run defense equate to problems against the run, you lost me after that, and made it even worse by suggesting that we draft Cody.

Seems to me that those stats were inflated by the fact that most of the runs we faced were inside the 20, where we were very good in GL situations.... But it certainly seemed that when teams ran the ball on us in the open field (which they did not do so much because they were passing on us left and right), they did so at will...

The only time our run defense looked good was in short yardage situations, and as bad as our pass defense was, we did not see the run too often outside of those situations... And from my seat, when we did, it was usually for 5 or more yards.

That's what Minny has with Kevin and Pat Williams... that said, I wouldn't be against bringing Cody in...

Seems to me that those stats were inflated by the fact that most of the runs we faced were inside the 20, where we were very good in GL situations.... But it certainly seemed that when teams ran the ball on us in the open field (which they did not do so much because they were passing on us left and right), they did so at will...

The only time our run defense looked good was in short yardage situations, and as bad as our pass defense was, we did not see the run too often outside of those situations... And from my seat, when we did, it was usually for 5 or more yards.

The stats werent inflated, especially given the fact we only allowed 1 hundred yard rusher all . Why do you think we were playing in soo many 3rd and long situations last year it was because our run defense was performing better than average and improving as the season went on.

Edited by Jaymadd

TRADING DOWN.

I agree with the philosophy, but not the pick. Who's to say jerry comes back healthy, and babs is likely out for a few games. I think we need to use an early pick on dt as well, unless we want out dt position this coming year to resemble our cb position last year. This is particularly true if jerrys injury proves to be one of many to come like Lewis and Sam baker. I think assuming jerry and Douglas are going to be fine would be a mistake by our FO.