Looking back at the deal we just made

Nono

I am really happy with this move (sign Dunta and trade Houston for a couple of picks in April) on both sides of the deal---Dunta coming here to lead the left or right cornerback position and Houston gets a new start elsewhere, but stepping back and looking at it, we drafted Houston as the 41st pick in '07---wow did his stock fall such that he is worth an uproven 5th & 6th round pick.

I still think it was a good move but thats all he was worth???

Edited by Nono

It was a good trade in my eyes. Wasn't he on his last year or second to last year of his contract? If it is his last year then that also helped drop his stock.

7/25/2007: Chris Houston signed a four-year, $4.25 million contract. 7/25/2007: The deal includes $2.175 million guaranteed. 2010: $550,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

We wouldn't have owed him much at all this coming year but would have commanded a restricted status in 2011 we essentially means he would have walked and we would get one compensatory pick in 2012

This makes the deal look better financially and who knows may be a great move come April???

Edited by Nono

Detroit just got the best deal of Facy! And we did not get enough for Houston, Now that's the real truth. I do see what TD is doing thou and he needed to make a quick deal.And settled for far less than Houston's value. But when you make quick deals and don't wait till the perfect timing, you will not get top compensation for a good player. Maybe you don't believe what I just said, but just wait and get back with me in a few years, Yes it will take Detroit that long to get some players on the DL to really show what they got in Houston.

7/25/2007: Chris Houston signed a four-year, $4.25 million contract. 7/25/2007: The deal includes $2.175 million guaranteed. 2010: $550,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

We wouldn't have owed him much at all this coming year but would have commanded a restricted status in 2011 we essentially means he would have walked and we would get one compensatory pick in 2012

This makes the deal look better financially and who knows may be a great move come April???

I would pay him to not be on our team lol and lose 5 draft picks for the next 3 years

I can't help but recall a play late in the season

where Houston did turn his head. He saw the ball and

almost casually batted it away. He was in that good a

position on the receiver that it looked easy for him.

How do you explain the fact that he doesn't do that very

often at this point of his career? He is now replaced and

we move on.

i think we got value. We got a former first round bust for a 7th, so I think getting a 5 swap and 6 was great value for a 2nd round bust.

1 - he has disappointed for us @ CB, and we obviously didnt need him.

2 - I think TD will use the picks to move up. If it gets us a better guy, it was worth it.

3 - He was on the last year of his deal, and we knew we wouldnt keep him. Get it now, or lose it later.

I would have been fine releasing him, so I am definately fine with a swap and a pick!

I think it's a good deal because looking at things now we see that Houston wasn't apart of the longterm plans here and was going to be released. After unloading Phillip Buchannon the Lions had a gaping need for a CB and after things didn't materialize with the Antonio Cromartie trade they needed someone.

The deal was right for both teams... We unload a guy and get something in return and Detroit fills a need. It was time for Chris Houston to go, he might turn out to be a decent corner but in Atlanta he hasn't shown enough to make the FO believe that.

Detroit just got the best deal of Facy! And we did not get enough for Houston, Now that's the real truth. I do see what TD is doing thou and he needed to make a quick deal.And settled for far less than Houston's value. But when you make quick deals and don't wait till the perfect timing, you will not get top compensation for a good player. Maybe you don't believe what I just said, but just wait and get back with me in a few years, Yes it will take Detroit that long to get some players on the DL to really show what they got in Houston.

Even so he probably would not have survived the final cutdown to 53 players so for the falcons it was better to get a trade done than to just let him walk after pre-season.

From Detroit's point of view and all of their needs, they are giving up a lot to get him. I wish him well in Detroit.

Edited by delaigle

Even when we were getting to the QB alot in 08 Houston didnt perform. Its not that he is down right terrible, but he hasnt improved at all. IF DET takes Suh, they should see an improvement in pass rush immediately. They will then have a good looking front 4 on papaer at least. Vanden Bosch, Suh, Corey Williams are all good players. Williams was dominant on the inside before CLE moved him out of position.

I would be happy to admit I was wrong, but i personally dont think we are losing anything getting rid of him. IMO he was the 4th best CB on the team, and maybe he wouldnt accept playing dime, so we had to move him.

I read in another post that you really feel like Houston is good and can turn it around so I respect what you think about him but why do you think it was a quick deal. Lets say he did step up this year and increased his value, how much more could we really have gotten for him when players like Boldin are being traded for a third and fourth round pick. I think he will have the opportunity to do well with the Lions but we have to wait and see if he takes advantage.

I feel like the FO has done a great job so far.

Not gonna lie though, I was kinda disappointed with the conflicting reports about Houston being traded for a fourth and then just getting a 6th with a 5th swap.

Me too--thats my underlying point---I realize you take what the market will bear at the time you offer up Chris, but looking back a 5th & a 6th looks kind of weak---I was hoping for a 3rd

When I remembered that Hill was a first rounder, that got traded for a 7th, and was coming off of injury, as Houston was as well, I thought, we got a 6th and a 5th swap (which is basically a 4th due to detroit's draft position)and I was stoked. After D-Rob's presser yesterday, I am anxious for the draft, and then preseason. TD is a genius in my mind. Could we have gotten more from another team for Houston? Only if we hid all the tape on him, and convinced them that his neck was really sore when he worked out for them.

Me too--thats my underlying point---I realize you take what the market will bear at the time you offer up Chris, but looking back a 5th & a 6th looks kind of weak---I was hoping for a 3rd

Hear ya. There would have to be like virtually no one available on the market if we got a third for him...that'd be a jack move. :)

This whole Houston trade has made we wonder, however, what would JA98 go for? Can't imagine the sarcasm from this one.

Hear ya. There would have to be like virtually no one available on the market if we got a third for him...that'd be a jack move. :)

This whole Houston trade has made we wonder, however, what would JA98 go for? Can't imagine the sarcasm from this one.

Probably a conditional draft pick for the following year 7th that could turn into a 6th or a 6th that could turn into a 5th. Who knows lol.

I completely agree .... Gunther Cunningham will have him playing in more press coverage. Which will make a world of difference for Houston.

Why do some of you people think that other teams covet our trash??? A third-round pick for Chris Houston? They do their research just as our front office does... I mean, don't you all feel that if it was possible for TD to get a better deal for CH, he surely would have??