Cornered Redemption

Watts

I know Tye Hill is not very well received on these boards, and based on last season he didn't do much to for me to argue against that. But the idea of the often critisized Robinson and the fall-from-grace Hill using a full (not to mention, healthy) offseason to get their game back on track and silence the critics is a possible feel-good story for all Falcons fans. Imagine the genius of Dimitroff, taking a risk by paying Robinson with such a large contract despite many who are concerned with the risk involved, and picking up the forgotten about Tye Hill with a 7th round pick. Tye Hill came in last season late well behind in learning the defense and struggled with being in the right place when given opportunities to play; Problem with not fully knowing the playbook or no talent? I'll give him a full offseason and a fair chance before I judge. Everyone loves a story such as this. I know I'll be rooting for it. Dunta Robinson and Tye Hill, the centre of attention once again??

...Not saying it WILL happen, just suggesting that it would be quite the inspiring story if it did.

I absolutely love Tye Hill as an athlete, but he's going to have to step it up in order to compete with Grimes, Owens, and Williams. I will say though that his 74 yard pick six (who was it against? I'm having a complete brain fart) last year showed the potential that he has stored up. But then again, Chris Houston had potential too...I'm wishing him luck, because I do think with the right knowledge, he could become a solid starter in this league.

I know Tye Hill is not very well received on these boards, and based on last season he didn't do much to for me to argue against that. But the idea of the often critisized Robinson and the fall-from-grace Hill using a full (not to mention, healthy) offseason to get their game back on track and silence the critics is a possible feel-good story for all Falcons fans. Imagine the genius of Dimitroff, taking a risk by paying Robinson with such a large contract despite many who are concerned with the risk involved, and picking up the forgotten about Tye Hill with a 7th round pick. Tye Hill came in last season late well behind in learning the defense and struggled with being in the right place when given opportunities to play; Problem with not fully knowing the playbook or no talent? I'll give him a full offseason and a fair chance before I judge. Everyone loves a story such as this. I know I'll be rooting for it. Dunta Robinson and Tye Hill, the centre of attention once again??

...Not saying it WILL happen, just suggesting that it would be quite the inspiring story if it did.

that would make me feel good personally :rolleyes:

If last year was a judge i can only see Tye Hill as depth to be fair with robinson and Owens who probably have the inside running for starters and Grimes as the NB and Jackson as depth and I'm afraid thats all I see Tye Hill as to be fair.

TD just probably took a shot and for a 7th rounder nothing much to lose by taking Hill but I suppose if one of the starters went down and Hill came in and did a good job I suppose your fairytale may well come true but from what I saw of Hill outside of his 62 yard int return last year I would'nt bet on it.

I absolutely love Tye Hill as an athlete, but he's going to have to step it up in order to compete with Grimes, Owens, and Williams. I will say though that his 74 yard pick six (who was it against? I'm having a complete brain fart) last year showed the potential that he has stored up. But then again, Chris Houston had potential too...I'm wishing him luck, because I do think with the right knowledge, he could become a solid starter in this league.

against the skins that was great lol and yea i love him to but i dont think he can beat out owens or grimes for the second and nickle spot he can play in the dime but i dont think he can crack the starting 3 unless injuries take over

You bring up a good point imo. I was excited about bringing in Tye Hill myself, and disappointed with the results. That being said, this guy has talent; he can play the position. Another year in the system; another year getting healthy, he may be a viable #2 or #3 CB. I have nothing but faith in our coaching staff to bring the best out of players. We kept Hill, and traded off Houston. I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited about our corner's for the first time in a LONG time. Robinson, Owens, Grimes, Williams, Hill, and Jackson? I think in time we've got 4 legitimate CB's in there.

against the skins that was great lol and yea i love him to but i dont think he can beat out owens or grimes for the second and nickle spot he can play in the dime but i dont think he can crack the starting 3 unless injuries take over

Sometimes an injury is all it takes for a player to get his chance (in this case, his second chance). Just look at Tom Brady. Tye needs to step it up big time, his career and any respect for his potential is on the line. Championship character players fight their way out of situations like these, I hope he has it in him. Remember, he only needs to crack the #2 CB position, the pressure is off for who the #1 is going to be. Mike Smith will make the battle for the #2 spot a healthy competition this offseason, one I am looking forward to above all others. Tim Lewis was a great pick up as a secondary coach, and will evaluate the situation from a fresh perspective, giving everyone an equal shot.

I think we're gonna like the results with Hill this season because aside from getting acclimated in the scheme he was dealing with an injury that also kept him off the field. He was actually pretty descent when he first got on the field and after tweaking his leg again he was off. if he can get back to 100%, he's a legit #2 and we're set!

It's cool that Hill's getting some attention again. The dude has all kinda skills. While he was with St. Louis, I always wondered if he may have just been unlucky getting drafted by a team that didn't develop him the way he needed to be.

If our guys can get him healthy and motivated again, Robinson+Hill would way outshine any other combination we could come up with off our current roster.

And think who that would leave in the nickleback slot! Up and coming TD appraised Owens, 6 pick should have been 7 Grimes, I'm tall and I got skills Jackson, and not to mention Williams. We could be trading away left over cornerbacks for quality picks/players for the next 5 or 6 years!

Like the OP was saying about it being a great story. Our 2 starters would, combined, have been through it all. No corner we drafted would leave Atlanta unprepared. Blank could start a new company...Robinson&Hill CB Prep School!

Go Falcons

Sorry but I live in STL and we gave up on Tye Hill a while ago, I suggest you guys start doing the same in ATL. I mean that with the utmost respect. He is probably the worst CB on our roster now. Being a Tye Hill fan is like being a JA98 fan, yeah he's had a few good plays but he's still a bust. I'm not even trying to be negative, it's just the truth. I've seen the guy in every game he's played in the NFL. I couldn't believe how happy ppl were on here when we signed. Literally laughed out loud. But hey maybe him and JA98 can come out of their shell this year ;).

Even if he doesn't play cb, we can use as a punt or kick returner, i'm happy with weems, but hill always showed great speed/acceleration and great vision, like the int he had against the redskins. So keep him for depth and compete for the PR/KR duty.

Interesting idea, but it's probably a battle between Harry Douglas and Eric Weems. Hopefully its Weems/Norwood on kick returns and Douglas on punt returns. But who knows, Hill could be a darkhorse in the mix.

Tye Hill being good...

Another feel good story would be if Pariah Jerry could play through an entire season without getting hurt or Spencer Adkins, Vance Walker, Garret Reynolds, and Lawrence Sidbury all made it to the pro-bowl the next season - showcasing TD's genius.

Hill seems weak, mentally and physically.

I'd say Hill is more confused and he has been part of a losing organization for so long. The Rams are horrible, he never had anything to play for. He was a 1st round pick for a reason. Only time will tell. I hope Hill blossoms into what he had the potential to be.

If all of the guys in our secondary stay healthy, I honestly think we move up to an average secondary. If that happens, it will be a feel good story for me. Anything above that is gravy. I like gravy!

If our pass rush also improves the conbination of average pressure and average coverage could equal a case when the whole performs greater than the sum of the parts. A small improvement skill wise in both areas could result in a top 10 passing D on the field.

If all of the guys in our secondary stay healthy, I honestly think we move up to an average secondary. If that happens, it will be a feel good story for me. Anything above that is gravy. I like gravy!

If our pass rush also improves the conbination of average pressure and average coverage could equal a case when the whole performs greater than the sum of the parts. A small improvement skill wise in both areas could result in a top 10 passing D on the field.

Thats a good point. If we can generate a consistent pass rush, even an average secondary can look legit (making a Robinson/Hill combo look like a top tandem). Jerry healthy is key. It's all possible.

Personally, I didn't see "The Blind Side", but I heard it was good. And, "Rudy" is a classic so I like where you're going with this little feel-good scenario.

Tye Hill was pulled every time he made one or two bad plays. That tells me something, and it's not good. I don't know, it could be that he can't learn the playbook, or he is weak mentally. Who knows...

Just to make a counter-example, Chris Owens was beat a couple times deep, but was the ROOKIE pulled? No, he was not. The coaches and TD obviously see a brighter future for Chris Owens.

Personally, I didn't see "The Blind Side", but I heard it was good. And, "Rudy" is a classic so I like where you're going with this little feel-good scenario.

Don't forget about Mark Wahlberg's 'Invincible' haha

Edited by Watts

I too would love to see Tye Hill step up and earn the #2 job or atleast be a good nickleback for us. I think between him, Owens, Jackson and Grimes the Falcons will have a good cornerback group overall. Reminds me when we had Ray Buchanon and Ashley Ambrose as a solid pair, but in 2010 you need a whole cornerback corps to be successful.

it would be inspiring for sure, it's already inspired me to make a signature about it. Two top 15 picks, two 4.3 40 yard dash runners, two corner back stars, one sharp DB tandem. I can already here Disney knocking on our doors right now with a script writer!