Full First Round Mock Draft With Pick-By-Pick Explanations

Watts

1. St. Louis Rams - Sam Bradford, QB. They got their franchise tackle last year, and if they don't address their quarterback situation via free agency or trade, this is a must. If they are not sold on Bradford or Clausen, then either McCoy or Suh (potential all-pros) will be the choice. Fred Robbins was just signed though, so it is obvious that the Rams front office is working on that defensive line via free agency.

2. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT. Close between Suh or McCoy, either one is great value. If the lions feel that a tackle is a priority to protect last year's investment, then Russel Okung becomes the pick.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy, DT. The Buc's greatest need is at DT, and they get fortunate that the best player available plays that position. McCoy is impressing teams in interviews with his character, and seems like one of the safest picks in this year's draft.

4. Washington Redskins - Jimmy Clausen, QB. The redskins desperately need a franchise signal caller. The new management has no loyalty towards Jason Campbell, and want to start fresh. Character concerns do not seem to be an issue with Mike Shannahan. Clausen is the pick if Bradford is not available here.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Russel Okung, OT. The chiefs get lucky enough that the top tackle in the draft falls to them here. A tackle is a desperate need, and Okung is simply the best in the draft at what he does.

6. Seattle Seahawks - Brian Bulaga, OT. With Walter Jones' age and injury concerns, a franchise left tackle is greatly needed. If Bradford or Clausen fall here, its a no-brainer to take the franchise quarterback and hope a top tackle falls to them at the 14th pick.

7. Cleveland Browns - Eric Berry, S. The Cleveland Browns secondary was atrocious last year. Eric Berry is incredible value at this point and the Browns would no doubt be estatic if he fell this far. Their current safety Chris Crocker is no pro-bowler, and Joe Haden, who is also a possibility here, may have pushed himself out of the top ten with his slow 40 time at the combine.

8. Oakland Raiders - Anthony Davis, OT. The raiders are unpredictable when it comes to the draft. Al Davis seems to reach for players who have a rare height-weight-speed ratio. They have to protect their former 1st overall pick, Jamarcus Russell sooner or later. I wouldn't be surprised if Al Davis reaches out for workout warrior OT Bruce Campbell, or youtube sensation DE Jason Pierre-Paul either.

9. Buffalo Bills - Trent Williams, OT. The bills would have wished one of the top three tackles would still be on the board, but Trent Williams is still a quality top 15 talent at a position of need. The bills have been wanting a franchise left tackle since they traded away Jason Peters to Philadelphia, and this is their chance. Don't rule out ILB Rolando McClain or WR Dez Bryant here either.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dez Bryant, WR. Finally, the jaguars land their stud #1 receiver. Arguably a better prospect than Michael Crabtree was last year. If he falls to this spot, the Jaguars will answer trade calls from Miami and/or Denver, but will eventually select their receiver.

11. Denver Broncos - Joe Haden, CB. The Broncos need help in their secondary with Champ Bailey no longer playing up to his name and a void on his right side, Joe Haden fits the bill. The Broncos have some solid young linebackers, but ILB Rolando McClain could be the final piece to the puzzle so he should also be considered. If Dez Bryant falls to the 11th pick somehow, which Denver would love, he likely would be the choice.

12. Miami Dolphins - Rolando McClain, ILB. Bill Parcells got his rush linebacker, Carlos Dansby to replace Joey Porter, and everyone knows Bill likes his linebackers in the first round. Rolando McClain is the premier inside linebacker in this class, and Miami lacks a stud leader for the middle of their defense. Pair McClain and Dansby together in the 3-4 defense and look out.

13. San Francisco 49ers - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE. The 49ers desperately want a tackle, but there are none at the right value at this point. They would be smart to acquire a restricted free agent such as Jared Gaither and spend this pick on a proven tackle. Joe Staley is their franchise left tackle, but there remains a weakness at right tackle, but Jason Pierre-Paul is too good of a value here at a position of value beside Justin Smith that could use an upgrade. He is versatile and talented enough, albeit raw, for Mike Singletary to coach into his scheme. Unfortunately, CB Joe Haden will be gone at this point, as the cornerback situation could use an upgrade. Another option is DE Derrick Morgan, who has a non-stop motor and a great work ethic, which is attractive to a coach like Singletary.

14. Seattle Seahawks - C.J. Spiller, RB. A bit of a reach? Perhaps, but he has all the tools needed to give Pete Carroll a boost in an otherwise stale offensive attack. Think poor man's Chris Johnson. He does not possess Johnson's rare ability, but he is a definite upgrade at running-back for the Seahawks. Matt Hasselback can carry the load for another year.

15. New York Giants - Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE. The Giants never feel like they have enough pass rushers. Sergio Kindle fits their scheme perfectly and he is a match-up nightmare for running backs to block from the outside linebacker spot. Derrick Morgan is a better DE prospect, but Kindle fits better with what the giants do on defense.

16. Tennesse Titans - Derrick Morgan, DE. Hallelujah, the most polished defensive end in the draft falls to the titans. With Tennessee finishing 31st in the league against the pass last season, not to mention losing Kyle Vanden Bosch to free agency, defensive end is by far their greatest need. This is a huge pick up for the Titans.

17. San Francisco 49ers - Taylor Mays, S. This could be perceived as a reach by many. But Mays' set of tools and Singletary's defensive knowledge and linebacker personality fit like a glove. Yes, Mays is a safety, but he looks and hits like a linebacker, with the speed of a corner; think the Redskins' LaRon Landry on steroids. He is the perfect in-the-box safety for this defense. The knock on him is that he didn't generate enough takeaways for USC. He played the system that Pete Carroll coached him to play, and that was a hard-hitting enforcer up the middle, not a free-ranging ball-hawk. He has the physical tools and the work ethic to become what any coach wants him to become, which has immense value, worthy of a top 20 selection. Earl Thomas is another option here, he is a proven ball-hawk with good instincts and the safer choice here, but Mays seems to be a Singletary type of guy to me.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Iupati, OG. The Steelers do not have as many holes as a 9-7 record would indicate. With Alan Faneca long gone and nobody replacing him thus far, Iupati is the ideal player to fill this gap. Some consider him the best guard prospect to come along in years. Not a sexy pick, but it certainly is a safe pick.

19. Atlanta Falcons - Sean Weatherspoon, OLB. The mouth of Ray Lewis with the athleticism of Derrick Brooks. 4-3 Outside linebackers don't usually get drafted this high, but Weatherspoon would compliment Curtis Loften and Atlanta's zone schemes as he is best suited for a team that uses a lot of zone coverages. Word of mouth is that Thomas Dimitroff is very high on this kid. For Atlanta fans, hope this isn't just a smokescreen.

20. Houston Texans - Kyle Wilson, CB. After losing Dunta Robinson to the Atlanta Falcons in free agency, Houston is in need of a replacement cornerback, and the timing couldn't be more perfect. Kyle Wilson possesses good ball skills and plays fast and instinctively; a play-maker and a leader. He is easily the best corner after Joe Haden.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Jermaine Gresham, TE. After 4 straight years of drafting defenders in the first round, the Bengals now have the opportunity to take the stud tight end that the offense has been lacking over the years. Gresham has is a better prospect than Brandon Pettigrew was last year, and he would likely have been picked higher if he hadn't missed all of last season due to injury. Carson Palmer will be very happy with this pick.

22. New England Patriots - Brandon Graham, DE. He has a high-motor that Bill Belichick will get the most out of. Graham gets knocked because of his size and short arms, but so did Elvis Dumervil. He has always produced at a high level, and that should be no different once he is in the NFL. Brandon Graham will fill a need, as the Patriots are short on edge rushers, as well as good value at #23.

23. Green Bay Packers - Bruce Campbell, OT. Bruce Campbell has unlimited potential but is raw and needs time to develop, perhaps on the right-side. So a solid left tackle is needed, which Green Bay has with the re-signing of Chad Clifton, who Campbell could also learn from. Once Clifton is gone, Campbell, once developed, could be a franchise left tackle for the Packers. Good value pick.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Spikes, ILB. Brandon Spikes possesses the thumper-type of linebacker play that Andy Reid looks for. He is a very good leader and plays tough. Sean Weatherspoon will be gone by this point, and the Eagles are looking for a linebacker. Spikes fits the system. Think Jeremiah Trotter.

25. Baltimore Ravens - Patrick Robinson, CB. This pick will be spent on a corner, and depending whether Devin McCourty or Patrick Robinson is higher on the Raven's draft board will determine which corner is chosen. Robinson has amazing footwork and athleticism. He plays fast and furious, but lacks the stats you look for in a play-maker. With the right coaching, he could be a good addition to the perennial Ravens defense.

26. Arizona Cardinals - Charles Brown, OT. This is simply a pick of need. Charles Brown has a late first round grade is the best tackle available at this point. If Matt Leinhart is to take over on offense, he is going to need all the help he can get. He has a running-back in Wells and a go-to receiver in Fitzgerald, but he lacks a tackle on each side of the line. Levi Brown has performed admirably, but the offensive line is still the cardinals' weakness on offense. C Maurkice Pouncey is also an option here.

27. Dallas Cowboys - Earl Thomas, S. If Earl Thomas managed to fall this far, he could be the steal of the first round. His instincts and ball-hawking skills are unmatched in this year's draft. At 20 years of age, the sky is the limit for him. He adds a day one play-maker to Dallas' secondary, and may just put the Cowboys over the top on defense.

28. San Diego Chargers - Ryan Mathews, RB. With LaDainian Tomlinson gone and Darren Sproles' future and ability to carry the load uncertain, the Chargers taking a running-back here is almost a lock. Ryan Mathews is very talented and balanced, with good size. Jonathan Dwyer is also a realistic possibility here.

29. New York Jets - Carlos Dunlap, DE. Rex Ryan is a defensive minded coach, and when he sees the 6-6" 277 pound defensive end who runs a 4.7, he won't hesitate to upgrade that pass-rushing attack he loves so much. The corners are set, but if Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays fall here, I wouldn't be surprised if a safety is the pick. Don't rule out WR Arrelious Benn either.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Dan Williams, DT. Pat Williams is not getting any younger, and the Vikings are pretty solid on both sides of the ball, so a depth and groomer of the future is a good idea here. At 330 lbs. Dan Williams fits the big-body defensive tackle play that Kevin Williams thrives beside. A quarterback can be taken in round 2 or 3. Cornerbacks Patrick Robinson or Devin McCourty are also options if either is still available. Dan Williams has the best positional value here for Minnesota.

31. Indianapolis Colts - Vladimir Ducasse, OT. Best tackle available, who still carries a late first round grade. The colts have the luxury of not having many holes to fill. If a weakness can be found, it it on the offensive line. The colts will get the most out of Ducasse.

32. New Orleans Saints - Everson Griffin, DE. The Saints defense over-achieved last season. Their average pass rush was overshadowed by their ball-hawking secondary play. Everson Griffin has the edge rushing ability that the Saints need. Greg Williams has only marginal say in the selection, but will be a happy man if a player of Griffin's caliber falls to him at #32.

Edited by Watts

Weatherspoon would be great for Atlanta, I think he would fit in very well in the locker room and provide another youthful jolt of energy to the defense. The fact is though...the Falcons are going to have so many options at that 19th pick. I don't think there will be too many disappointed fans come fall time.

I love this mock

Thanks. Figured it would be a good way to start my posting on this board. Too bad its not getting bumped though haha. I haven't found a single mock with real analysis like this anywhere so I made one, maybe it catches on maybe it doesn't.

This board is one of the tops in the league from what I've seen, most entertaining anyways.

Just wonderin what character concerns Clausen has? Ive followed his career (since im a ND fame) and the only big problem he had was the off-campus "fight". He didnt do anything but get sucker punched in the face

It not a matter of off-field issues with Clausen. With that much money on the line, teams tend to over analyze certain things. It could be a case of that. Word around the league is that he doesn't have great leadership skills and presents an overly cocky demenour. Its more of an attitude issue than anything. He has skills nonetheless. Jay Cutler came with similar "character concerns" though, and look who drafted him...

It not a matter of off-field issues with Clausen. With that much money on the line, teams tend to over analyze certain things. It could be a case of that. Word around the league is that he doesn't have great leadership skills and presents an overly cocky demenour. Its more of an attitude issue than anything. He has skills nonetheless. Jay Cutler came with similar "character concerns" though, and look who drafted him...

Well watching him through his 3 years i saw his leadership skills improve but i can see what they are saying. He is cockey but its not always a bad thing. But i get what your saying

I am extremely weary of Jason Pierre-Paul. The raw defensive end with endless potential...reminds me of a certain Falcons DE currently on the roster. I'm sure JA98 can't do that many backflips but there is always that one raw DE that has brilliant athleticism in each draft. Wouldn't doubt if he is the next Jamaal Anderson. The earlier he goes the better I say.

I don't watch college football, but I read a lot of the mocks and opinions and all I've heard was that Ducasse was really raw and is like a third rounder. Otherwise, I like it.

No possible way Ducasse falls to the third round. He may not be chosen in the first, but he won't make past of the middle of the second. He doesn't go any higher than late first. The Colts would be the team to get the best out of him. He may be raw but he has alot of upside. I could see them taking him if the other top tackles have been taken.

No possible way Ducasse falls to the third round. He may not be chosen in the first, but he won't make past of the middle of the second. He doesn't go any higher than late first. The Colts would be the team to get the best out of him. He may be raw but he has alot of upside. I could see them taking him if the other top tackles have been taken.

Yup, raw was the key word that I remembered. Jesus...41 more days of this lol

Thanxx For the Mock ... very possible, though I doubt Berry falls past the 5th pick

With the top 5 picks set up the way I have them, and how uncommon it is for a safety, even one of Berry's caliber, to crack the top 5, I see Berry going to the Seahawks at the earliest in this mock. Tampa will draft one of the DT's if Bradford is the #1 pick, but if Suh and McCoy are #1 and #2, then Tampa takes Berry. Thats another scenario. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Edited by Watts

With the top 5 picks set up the way I have them, and how uncommon it is for a safety, even one of Berry's caliber, to crack the top 5, I see Berry going to the Seahawks at the earliest.

with the Bucs I could see them going either way but I so hope your right and he falls to the Browns for the Falcons sake.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Have Mike Sims-Walker as the #1 Receiver. Jaguars go - Morgan DE. Everything else looks good tho'

Sims-Walker is developing into a quality receiver. But with Kampman signed and the amount of draft picks that have been spent by Jacksonville on DE's the last couple years, I think the jaguars hold off on drafting another defensive end that early. Dez Bryant is a top 5 talent and tremendous value at #10

Now even Mike Mayock thinks the Redskins will take Clausen. I honestly think this mock is extremely possible. Anthony Davis might move down now after that pro day fiasco though.

The redskins will get the bast tackle available-they are rolling with Campbell....No clausen in d.c. I wouldnt mind getting weatherspoon but depending on how things shake out draft day we may end up with Buluga or maybe even Morgan or Campbell....I luv draft day