Bobby Petrino set us back so bad...

Kayoh

Our 2007 draft was so horrible. We had ELEVEN picks, tied for the most in the NFL, and this is what we produced:

1st Rd: Jamaal Anderson - Bust at LDE, tried out at NT.

2nd Rd: Chris Houston - Bust, traded to Detroit

2nd Rd: Justin Blalock - had a good 2008, was the weak link in the OL in 2009

3rd Rd: Laurent Robinson - Injury prone, traded to St. Louis

4th Rd: Stephen Nicholas - Starting LOLB, worst starting LB on the team. Peterson is old but at least he makes plays!

4th Rd: Martrez Milner - cut

5th Rd: Trey Lewis - injured for 2 straight seasons, can't decide if he wants to be a crappy NT or a decent 3-technique

6th Rd: David Irons - cut

6th Rd: Doug Datish - cut

6th Rd: Daren Stone - cut

7th Rd: Jason Snelling - Solid backup FB & 3rd string HB.

So our best pick that year was our 7th round pick.

Screw you, Bobby Petrino. You are a coward and the scum of the earth. I know it's a long time ago but it's amazing how badly one man can be at a job that we were (mostly) all so excited about.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 2007 draft was so horrible. We had ELEVEN picks, tied for the most in the NFL, and this is what we produced:

1st Rd: Jamaal Anderson - Bust at LDE, tried out at NT.

2nd Rd: Chris Houston - Bust, traded to Detroit

2nd Rd: Justin Blalock - had a good 2008, was the weak link in the OL in 2009

3rd Rd: Laurent Robinson - Injury prone, traded to St. Louis

4th Rd: Stephen Nicholas - Starting LOLB, worst starting LB on the team. Peterson is old but at least he makes plays!

4th Rd: Martrez Milner - cut

5th Rd: Trey Lewis - injured for 2 straight seasons, can't decide if he wants to be a crappy NT or a decent 3-technique

6th Rd: David Irons - cut

6th Rd: Doug Datish - cut

6th Rd: Daren Stone - cut

7th Rd: Jason Snelling - Solid backup FB & 3rd string HB.

So our best pick that year was our 7th round pick.

Screw you, Bobby Petrino. You are a coward and the scum of the earth. I know it's a long time ago but it's amazing how badly one man can be at a job that we were (mostly) all so excited about.

Nicholas is playing out of position first of all, and he had 3 sacks for the LB, most of the corp. Nicholas is not bad at all

I disagree about our best pick that year. Our best pick was obviously Stephen Nicholas. He was a starter. Snelling was only able to come out of his shell due to the injury to Turner. I like Snelling and all but Nicholas was solid. He may not have been a LB highlight reel but he was solid. I think the overall value lies with SN.

Nicholas isn't bad. He is a very solid LOLB. He was 4th on the team in tackles and produced 3 sacks. Stop discounting him because he isn't flashy. If he didn't do anything then why did QB's target Houston/Peterson on 3rd & longs and not Grimes/Nicholas?

Edited by vel

Justin is good so is Stephen. Houston has been starting for us for a while and Snelling proves that you can get good players late. Trey finally helped out and Anderson is the wild card.

It could have been worse I guess... how did our 2006 draft turn out?

Stephen Nicholas is very underrated by many on this site, clearly only starting caliber athlete from the 2007 disaster draft. With more experience Nicholas will be very good next to a pro bowl caliber Lofton and a new LB in a year or two.

He has all the physical attributes to be very good at OLB, he just needs consistent play all around him and experience.

Stephen Nicholas is very underrated by many on this site, clearly only starting caliber athlete from the 2007 disaster draft. With more experience Nicholas will be very good next to a pro bowl caliber Lofton and a new LB in a year or two.

He has all the physical attributes to be very good at OLB, he just needs consistent play all around him and experience.

I was really surprised at the pass coverage abilities he had last year. We can only look for that to improve this year as well. I don't think Nicholas is going any where for at least a few years.

NEVER......................EVER get angry with Quitrino.

Ever.

If it wasn't for his cowardly acts leading to a complete Falcon franchise meltdown, Arthur Blank would never have taken the drastic steps he did which produced a complete makeover, bringing with it TD, Coach Smith, Matt Ryan, and countless improvements making the Falcons one of the most exciting and envied franchises in the NFL today. And the best is yet to come.

Thank you Fuhrer Quitrino, for all your cowardly, despicable contributions.

Thank you.

Ever.

If it wasn't for his cowardly acts leading to a complete Falcon franchise meltdown, Arthur Blank would never have taken the drastic steps he did which produced a complete makeover, bringing with it TD, Coach Smith, Matt Ryan, and countless improvements making the Falcons one of the most exciting and envied franchises in the NFL today. And the best is yet to come.

Thank you.

Exactly my sentiments. +1

Smith is the anti-Petrino, and without Petrino, we might have stayed on the track we were on, which was basically being attracted to things that are shiney and sparkle. Now, we are looking for solid pieces that fit into the culture and organization. They work hard and play as a team.

I can't exactly say thanks to Petrino, but I am grateful that that experience woke up Mr. Blank. Thank you Smitty for being ...well... solid & sensible.

Ever.

Thank you.

That's true.

... but I still despise him for disrespecting Mr Blank and the Falcons the way he did. :D