Everson Griffen, USC DE - Bradley of AJC writes article touting him

g-dawg

I like this guy....do your homework on him. I like him better than Graham but less than Derrick Morgan. His arc is stil increasing.....think Graham has peaked in college and more of a fit as 3-4 OLB - please comment on Everson Griffen...He has size(6'3"), weight(273lbs), speed(4.66/40) and strength(32 reps). However, he is not just a "workout warrior" he had very productive season and grades out nicely on tape. He is good now but has a high ceiling - backed up Clay Matthews for a few seasons....

The Missing Link - Mark Bradley

With Dunta signed, do the Falcons still draft for D? I say yes

11:47 am March 8, 2010, by Mark Bradley

griffen1008.jpg

Here's Everson Griffen bringing the big heat. The Falcons could use some of that.

The Falcons are holding Dunta Robinsons introductory press briefing today at 5 p.m. at the palatial Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation offices, and Ill be wandering over for the festivities. But first I want to think out loud. (Always dangerous, Ill grant you.)

With Robinson signed and Brian Williams re-signed, the Falcons have their starting cornerbacks. Pretty much everyone had them ticketed to draft a cornerback in Round 1, but that thinking would seem to have been rendered inoperative. At issue now:

Have the Falcons shored up their secondary and thereby their defense to the extent that theyre free to draft an offensive player in Round 1 should someone of worth be available at No. 19? (C.J. Spiller would qualify, but so would Demaryius Thomas, and so would an offensive lineman like Florida center Maurkice Pouncey.) Or do they need to draft a pass rusher, meaning a defensive end or an outside linebacker? Or should they just tick off every Georgia fan and grab Tim Tebow?

My thinking: No cornerbacks can cover forever, and the only way the Falcons move from being a substandard defense to a lockdown one is by improving the pass rush. And to me, when youre playing a 4-3 defense, that means a defensive end, not an OLB.

And that, at least to me, means either Brandon Graham of Michigan or Everson Griffen of Southern Cal. (Sorry, Im not a major fan of Floridas Carlos Dunlap.) And since Graham, whos 6-foot-1, is projected as an outside linebacker, that means Griffen. Hes the best true DE who figures to be available Jason Pierre-Paul of South Florida and Georgia Techs Derrick Morgan should be gone by No. 19 and Griffen had an impressive NFL combine. Heres this assessment from Tony Pauline of SI.com:

Griffen was one of the most athletic defenders on the field all day. He measured 6-foot-3½, 273 pounds then completed 32 reps on the bench press. Stopwatches in the stadium clocked him in the 4.65 range both times he ran the 40. During the position drills, Griffen looked incredibly smooth and explosive. From an athletic point of view, he grades out as a top 45 pick in the draft.

As of today March 8, still 44 days from Round 1 Id target Griffen. But Ive been known to be wrong. I didnt think the Falcons would pursue Dunta Robinson, and sly ol Thomas Dimitroff wrong-footed me. But Ill nose around this afternoon and see what I find.

Edited by g-dawg

Dude i have been talking about Griffen all year in the NFL draft and Free Agency forum. I have been watching him all year. I really hope we draft Griffen and he has all the tools to be a successful LDE in our scheme. He has good size and has great speed. Griffen was very effective against the run at USC, which IMO is important because that gives him the chance to start over Davis and JA98 on running downs to give us more pressure on the Left side if teams decide to pass. One thing that suprised me is Griffen's quickness off the line, I didnt even realize it until i watched those youtube highlights earlier. I think that with Griffens high potential and the ability of our Dline Coach to get the best from our Dline it could be a wonderful combination.

Bottom line - I would love to draft Griffen and "BRING EM HOME TD"

NFL.com's scouting report states that:

Griffen is a good football player that doesn’t always play with great intensity or consistent effort which may hurt his 2010 draft status.
Lacks competitiveness at times and doesn’t always play with high intensity.

This information would lead me to believe the Falcons would stay away from him. However, this is just one person's opinion.

NFL.com's scouting report states that:

This information would lead me to believe the Falcons would stay away from him. However, this is just one person's opinion.

If Smitty and TD were also of that opinion, which none of know for sure, I would think they wouldn't be fond of him. They like high-motor guys. Bierman is a perfect example, his engine is always running full throttle.

Dude i have been talking about Griffen all year in the NFL draft and Free Agency forum. I have been watching him all year. I really hope we draft Griffen and he has all the tools to be a successful LDE in our scheme. He has good size and has great speed. Griffen was very effective against the run at USC, which IMO is important because that gives him the chance to start over Davis and JA98 on running downs to give us more pressure on the Left side if teams decide to pass. One thing that suprised me is Griffen's quickness off the line, I didnt even realize it until i watched those youtube highlights earlier. I think that with Griffens high potential and the ability of our Dline Coach to get the best from our Dline it could be a wonderful combination.

AGREE! I totally love his motor. Others are jogging chasing a RB running to the outside and he's booking it. Takes good angles typically too.

Think there's a decent chance he'll slide into the early second...trade down??

yes, if he's the target(Everson Griffen), i think we could slide down a little.

I would like to see Falcons look at 1-2 prospects really hard and if they are both available at #19, trade down a bit......say at #19 both Everson Griffen and Sean Weatherspoon are both on the board. Falcons could try and engineer a trade back 5-12 spots and pick up another high draft pick - then grab Griff or 'Spoon - one of them will probably get snatched up - but then we take the other one.

I think the Saints will be looking at both Spoon and Griff just like us - how ironic.....

also, to those worrying about the lack of high motor - i hear you. I don't know that its exactly that though - I think it has more to do with his lack of playing time and still growing as a player. Obviously if TD/Smith think the guy is lazy - then I would not want him either - don't think that is the case......Lazy = Carlos Dunlap = I don't like Dunlap at all and he would not even be on G-Dawg's draft board.

Edited by g-dawg

cool, glad to finally get the Jaymadd stamp of approval - been waiting a long time for that.

It would be hard to pass on him if he's there. Big time player from a big program and a "need" for us..

He has all the potential in the world, but had only one solid year in college. The only draft pick that I TD has taken without good production was Spencer Adkins and that was in the 6th round.

Griffen does have a lot of potential though. I just don't see him as an immediate improvement to our defense and I don't think he is a guy we will target.

He has all the potential in the world, but had only one solid year in college. The only draft pick that I TD has taken without good production was Spencer Adkins and that was in the 6th round.

Griffen does have a lot of potential though. I just don't see him as an immediate improvement to our defense and I don't think he is a guy we will target.

true dat on the one year of starting experience - but he was playing behind Clay Matthews at USC who was 2nd in the defensive rookie of the year voting to his teammate Brian Cushing. Its not like he was back-up for three years at Wake Forest of something....

Who do you like at 19?

I think the Saints will be looking at both Spoon and Griff just like us - how ironic.....

yeah, I know right.?.

I like the idea of trading back a few spots to grab either Spoon or Griffen, but would be sore as **** if the Saints picked them before our turn came back around.

yeah, we need to trade back with the Colts - then pick the player that Falcons need and the Saints want - one spot in front of Saints.....at least its some type of revenge against the hated super bowl champions!!

He reminds me a lot of Ray Edwards from the Vikings.

I would love to take him in the first round.

yeah, I think he's an "up and comer"...

my Falcons board right now

1) Derrick Morgan, DE-Georgia Tech

2) Jason Pierre Paul, DE-South Florida

3) Everson Griffen, DE-USC

4) Sean Weatherspoon, WLB-Missouri

5) Brandon Graham, DE-Michigan

Edited by g-dawg

I can see him slipping to early-mid 2nd round. If that's the case I would wanna get a 2nd

I would love to trade back and get him.....

If Falcons could move back and up and end up somehow with:

Everson Griffen, DE-USC (projected: late 1st/early 2nd)

Darryl Washington, WLB-TCU (projected: mid 2nd/early 3rd)

Jimmy Graham, TE-Miami (projected: mid 3rd/early 4th)

If we could get that trio.......I would be stoked!!! It would be nice to get some O-Line Depth and maybe a big WR and a RB as well.

I've been saying since November of 09 that we need to pick Everson up. I don't buy those remarks about him saying that he doesn't keep the gas on the pedal the whole game. Many times comments like that about an incoming rookie aren't even remembered 6 years down the road. And honestly, if that's the biggest problem with him we should DEFF. take him. That problem can be solved with veteran defensive leadership. He won't get any free passes in the Atlanta locker room like he might have at USC.

And besides, I've seen interviews and workouts with this guy before. He's the definition of a competitor, and he's got the physical assets to make it happen.

I'm just saying, this falcons organization likes fast, high intensity guys. Don't be surprised if we take him in the first.

Edited by abstract