Mike Smith in love with GT Defensive End Derrick Morgan

g-dawg

Maybe our garage sale trade of Chris Houston and maybe others to follow is so Falcons would have enough ammunition to trade up from #1-19 to around #1-10 so Falcons could get into position to draft Derrick Morgan.

Like I said in title, atljbo said he "was told" that Mike Smith really likes Derrick Morgan. Makes sense in that Morgan is a good pass rusher who has the size/ability to stay on the field on run downs as well...

I think it would still be difficult to move up that many spots but if the other team in the trade really wanted to trade down in might be possible. My guess is Falcons would have to trade a 3rd and a 4th to get it done. If Falcons got an extra 4th in a trade for Chris Houston, Falcons could give up their third(#3-83) and Lions fourth(#4-102-est.) and move up to select Derrick Morgan. If Falcons got 3rd and 5th round comp picks plus assuming they swapped places in 5th round with Lions, then maybe our draft board after selecting Derrick Morgan would look something like this (assumes we trade up with Jags who now don't need a DEnd with FA signing of Kampman).

#1-010 Derrick Morgan, DE-Georgia Tech

#3-083 (traded to Jacksonville Jags)

#3-100 Falcons comp pick

#4-102 ( f/ Detroit-traded to Jacksonville Jags)

#4-120

#5-142 (from Detroit - swap of 5th rounders)

#5-176 Falcons comp pick

#6-200 (traded last year to Rams for Tye Hill)

#7-240

We would still have a late 3rd and early 4th rounder and stil have 6 picks.....Falcons could look to get OLB, OT/OG, TE, C, WR, DT out of this draft......

I would love to grab Derrick Morgan.....sounds like Mike Smith/Thomas Dimitroff might as well if atljbo's source is correct - and it usually is....

Edited by g-dawg

I've seen a couple of mocks that show morgan slightly outside of the top 10. It really depends on how the QB picks take shape in the top 10.

That being said, I don't think anything is out of TD's reach in this draft. I'm just gonna sit back, and watch the man do what he does. I'm sure whatever it is will be in the best interest of the team.

Let's just say for fun that the above happened - we won't have as many picks but we will have Derrick Morgan which is a solid move.....here's my draft projection:

#1-010: Derrick Morgan, DE-Georgia Tech (from Jags)-potential franchise D-End

#3-100: Jimmy Graham, TE-Miami (comp pick)-developmental TE with franchise type ability

#4-120: Jared Veldher, OT-Hillsdale-very good OT prospect-great size and agility

#5-142: Dekoda Watson, OLB-Florida State(from Detroit swap)-very fast, a little soft

#5-176: Matt Tennant, OC-Boston College(comp pick)-Matt Ryan's old battery mate

#7-240: Shay Hodge, WR-Mississippi-good sized WR who is underrated.

I'd rather conserve picks or move down, not give them up. Giving up a 3rd and 4th is way too much this year. Would giving up Brandon Graham+Jimmy Graham+Taylor Price be worth getting D. Morgan? No, in no way. I'm not even certain Morgan is much better than Graham.

I think Morgan falls to TN and we get Graham.

I would rather trade up for Morgan - think he would be worth the difference. I know Graham dominated college but don't think he will dominate at next level. To be that small you need to be Dwight Freeney/Elvis Dumervil fast and Graham is not.

Let's just say for fun that the above happened - we won't have as many picks but we will have Derrick Morgan which is a solid move.....here's my draft projection:

#1-010: Derrick Morgan, DE-Georgia Tech (from Jags)-potential franchise D-End

#3-100: Jimmy Graham, TE-Miami (comp pick)-developmental TE with franchise type ability

#4-120: Jared Veldher, OT-Hillsdale-very good OT prospect-great size and agility

#5-142: Dekoda Watson, OLB-Florida State(from Detroit swap)-very fast, a little soft

#5-176: Matt Tennant, OC-Boston College(comp pick)-Matt Ryan's old battery mate

#7-240: Shay Hodge, WR-Mississippi-good sized WR who is underrated.

What are your thoughts on Shipley (TX)?

I would like to see us land him at some point.

What are your thoughts on Shipley (TX)?

I would like to see us land him at some point.

I like Shipley - he is a Wes Welker type of player - but Falcons already have their version of Wes Welker in Harry Douglas....

So, "yes" I like Shipley but "no" I don't think Falcons need him.

I still dont see us trading up tho..

I mean TD liked Robert Ayers last year but we didnt trade up.

I dont think TD would trade into the top 10 anyway... Cost to much.... If Derrick Morgan slip into the teens then its a possibility but i still dont see the trade up happening.

I like Shipley - he is a Wes Welker type of player - but Falcons already have their version of Wes Welker in Harry Douglas....

So, "yes" I like Shipley but "no" I don't think Falcons need him.

Yes, as long as HD's injury is a thing of the past and he is at near 100%

I think that was a big need for us on the O side of the ball last year.

Sorry, but no way do we get Velder in the 4th or Tennant in the 5th.

After hearing TD interviews I really think that TD is fine with our DE play. He blames most of our pass rush problems on the injury to Jerry and double teams on Babs.

That being said look for TD to fill the biggest need, OLB or OL depth. Look for a DT pick in the late 3rd or 4th rounds. I think we will see something like:

1. OLB Spoonman

3a. OT J. Velder

3b. DT L. Houston

4. TE Colin Peek

Just my opinion ;)

I think if he gets to 14-15 we may start thinking about moving up for him but definitely not at 10.

Agreed. TD isn't likely to part with the picks it would take to get into the top 10. But if Smitty really likes Morgan, giving up our 3rd to move up 4 spots isn't out of the question. I don't expect it to happen, but it works out on the value chart and is reasonable if we really believe him to be an Impact DE(immediate starter).

My gut tells me we aren't drafting a DE this year. Abe, Biermann, Chauncey, Sid, Anderson-- that's 5 guys and bringing in a developmental type seems redundant. I guess it's probably 1st rounder or pass on a DE.

I dont think TD would trade into the top 10 anyway... Cost to much.... If Derrick Morgan slip into the teens then its a possibility but i still dont see the trade up happening.

I'm with you here I don't see us trading up either I feel with our comp picks we are stock piling and if anything I think TD is putti us in position to get us back into the 2nd round which is very smart as there are a few teams that might be willing to trade a 2nd for a number of picks that we have namely NE for one.

I was thinking trading up could have been an option a couple of months ago but not now as I really believe TD is trying to get us back in that 2nd round.

TD said in an interview last week he likes being in the later round of the draft because there is still a ton of talent without paying a ton of money. This was mentioned after he said he thought the top part of the draft was out of control in paying players huge contracts who have yet to play a down in the NFL.

I think Morgan falls to TN and we get Graham.

If that's the case we might be able to trade up with the Giants, the pick just before the Titans .... pick number 15 = 1050 points.

Our 1st at 19 is 875 + our third at 83 is 175 so 875 + 175 is 1050.

That's what it would cost to get up to 15 .... and some are talking about going up to 10.

I might be willing to move to 15, but I wouldn't want to give what it would take to move any higher.

I would rather trade up for Morgan - think he would be worth the difference. I know Graham dominated college but don't think he will dominate at next level. To be that small you need to be Dwight Freeney/Elvis Dumervil fast and Graham is not.

268 is not small.

come on now, jbo......I started this thread because of you and now you are backing away from Falcons pursuing Mike Smith's interest in Derrick Morgan?.........c'mon!!! :rolleyes: :P B)

Edited by g-dawg

come on now, jbo......I started this thread because of you and now you are backing away from Falcons pursuing Mike Smith's interest in Derrick Morgan?.........c'mon!!! :rolleyes: :P B)

LOL.. I want him... I'm just saying what i think tho.... I was told that TD really like Derrick Morgan and to keep my eye on him but that don't mean we will get him...lol.. trading up to the 10th spot is crazy....That's to much money... If he slipped into the mid-teens it could definitely be an possibility but i just don't see it happening.

I'd rather conserve picks or move down, not give them up. Giving up a 3rd and 4th is way too much this year. Would giving up Brandon Graham+Jimmy Graham+Taylor Price be worth getting D. Morgan? No, in no way. I'm not even certain Morgan is much better than Graham.

I agree. Picks are too valuable...

Mike Mayock wasn't really all that high on Morgan during the Combine, and even stated that in the big game, his motor seemed to shut down.

I mean, I would much rather have Graham or Witherspoon. I know Morgan is a hometown college guy, but I really see more value in production out of Spoon

Mike Mayock wasn't really all that high on Morgan during the Combine, and even stated that in the big game, his motor seemed to shut down.

I mean, I would much rather have Graham or Witherspoon. I know Morgan is a hometown college guy, but I really see more value in production out of Spoon

Mike Mayock is cool but he is not Baby Jesus. Morgan would be a better pick than Spoon based on the fact that DE is much more important than OLB in our scheme. Our Pass rush was terribly inconsistent which affected the Linebackers and Cornerbacks. Morgan had a non-stop motor, and has enough speed to be an effective edge rusher, he is also good against the run.