Is Sean Weatherspoon really that good?

Kayoh

I don't know, I just haven't seen anything that shows me that Weatherspoon is worth all the hype he's receiving.

Can somebody point out what makes 'spoon such a vaunted prospect?

#2 - This is the 2nd Spoon thread that you have created questioning his ability LOL. I think that he could be a good player in the NFL, I dont think he will be the missing piece that truly improves our defense this year, and that is being over hyped, mainly because you dont see alot of LB that really contribute early on in pass packages, even Aaron Curry was a 1st and 2nd down player his 1st year, the same with Curtis Lofton, which is usually the case due to the complexity of NFL offenses and also the defensive passing schemes. If we had a terrible LB core then I could see us getting Spoon, but that is not the case and I place more of the resolution on the pass rush.

#2 - This is the 2nd Spoon thread that you have created questioning his ability LOL. I think that he could be a good player in the NFL, I dont think he will be the missing piece that truly improves our defense this year, and that is being over hyped, mainly because you dont see alot of LB that really contribute early on in pass packages, even Aaron Curry was a 1st and 2nd down player his 1st year, the same with Curtis Lofton, which is usually the case due to the complexity of NFL offenses and also the defensive passing schemes. If we had a terrible LB core then I could see us getting Spoon, but that is not the case and I place more of the resolution on the pass rush.

oh really, so how many times do we need to get burend with an easy 5-10 yard slant route cause the LB can get his HEAD TURNED around to locate the football, its tha same peoblem with our LB if u havent notice

oh really, so how many times do we need to get burend with an easy 5-10 yard slant route cause the LB can get his HEAD TURNED around to locate the football, its tha same peoblem with our LB if u havent notice

YOu got a smart Ask mouth little dude, LOL. The biggest problem with our LB was Curtis Lofton and his inexperience in pass coverage, he missed alot of those slants routes coming over the middle and didnt read the play quick enough or didnt get a deep enough drop in zone to defend passes over the middle.

5-10 yard slant route and ya head is turnt around Come on be real homie a LB still in they back pedal that close to line of scrimmage

5-10 yard slant route and ya head is turnt around Come on be real homie a LB still in they back pedal that close to line of scrimmage

Yah seriously! Watch some tape and you'll see our LBs drop back in zone, so their heads are already turned.

We have a really good MLB.

Our SLB has been average at best.

Out WLB is 34 and really showed his age the last half of the season.

Tony Gilbert is barely a special teams player.

Robert James is well, Robert James.

Spencer Adkins might have some ability and could potentially be the 4th linebacker, down the road.

Coy Wire is a great special teams player but below average as an every down linebacker.

Simply put, we have some names at the linebacker position, but only one real talent with some staying power...Lofton.

That's the case for the need at linebacker. As far as Weatherspoon goes...he did make plays in a big time conference. He is very athletic and versatile. He will likely be a very good WLB in the NFL.

Statiscally, it's hard to compare LB stats in college, but they are right there with Rolando McClain's. Again, don't make it out to be like I am trying to prove he is the best based on college stats. I am just trying to point out that he does get his hands on the ball occasionally.

Even after all this, I could still the Falcons going in several direction with the 19th pick. That said, I think linebacker makes alot of sense.

I love how I got -2 for suggesting that Weatherspoon isn't all he's cracked up to be. That kind of just goes to prove my point that we might be overrating him.

I'm not trying to say that 'spoon is going to suck in the NFL. I don't think that. He's got good speed and is athletic and good in coverage, but he's (at least in my eyes) the ideal nickel linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. I just don't see him as being worth #19 overall. I'd rather get a really good value pick later on, even if it means trading down from #19 to grab Daryl Washington, or waiting and picking up Rennie Curran in the 3rd.

I wouldn't be completely heart broken or anything if we'd take 'spoon at 19 overall, just a little disappointed that we couldn't trade down or pick up a better value there.

I don't know, I just haven't seen anything that shows me that Weatherspoon is worth all the hype he's receiving.

Because on top of being extremely productive in college, he is a vocal leader for a defense. He can be a difference maker in the locker room. So, take into account his athleticism and playmaking ability, the fact that he can blitz or drop back into coverage and do it well, and his personality and leadership, and you have a great player. One who will do well in the NFL. Also if you want some more to read check the link. P.S. they compare him to Ernie Sims, I'm not a genius but I think we could use an Ernie Sims. Js.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010sweatherspoon.php

I love how I got -2 for suggesting that Weatherspoon isn't all he's cracked up to be. That kind of just goes to prove my point that we might be overrating him.

I'm not trying to say that 'spoon is going to suck in the NFL. I don't think that. He's got good speed and is athletic and good in coverage, but he's (at least in my eyes) the ideal nickel linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. I just don't see him as being worth #19 overall. I'd rather get a really good value pick later on, even if it means trading down from #19 to grab Daryl Washington, or waiting and picking up Rennie Curran in the 3rd.

I wouldn't be completely heart broken or anything if we'd take 'spoon at 19 overall, just a little disappointed that we couldn't trade down or pick up a better value there.

I +1'd you to try and bring you back to even.. Well, simply put, Weatherspoon is a better overall player at OLB than others in the draft. Why is he better than Washington? Washington isn't as good in the run game or pass game as Weatherspoon. Infact, I don't think Washington will be a good 4-3 OLB, instead he'd be better suited to a 3-4 MLB where he doesn't have a lot of free space to cover ground like a 4-3 OLB would. In the 3-4, he doesn't have to move laterally a lot and instead can just come up, shed blocks and make the tackle infront of him inbetween the two DE. I wouldn't trust him in 1-on-1 situations which is why I don't think he'd be a good OLB.. Weatherspoon is a good sure-tackler however and we all saw his fast feet when he covered McCluster during the Senior Bowl.

But as you said, at 19, Weatherspoon may not ideally be the best value wise. AJ Edds isn't much worse than Weatherspoon but picking him up in the 3rd would be much higher value than Weatherspoon at 19. Best Value in regards to who we may pick up later on would be a DE or OT. So, Dunlap/Graham or Trent Williams. Golden Tate, Brian Price and of course Sean Weatherspoon would be options here as well. Maybe Joe Haden too.

You could have used your other thread on Spoon - instead of starting a new one basically saying exactly the same thing?!

And to answer your question...

1. He is the best player available at a position of need.
  2. He also has the ability to be very productive in his first year - look at Patrick Willis and Brian Cushing.
  3. Not to mention 410 career tackles, of which 43.5 went for a loss, 12.5 sacks, 4 FF's 17 pass deflections and 4 Int's (2 return for TD)!
  4. He can play all 3 LB positions, something that Smithy values.
  5. He is a team leader, something that TD values.
  6. He's also picked up his fair share of awards

• 2009 Pre-Season All-American Candidate
  • 2008 Butkus Award Finalist
  • 2008 2nd-Team All-American (Phil Steele)
  • 2008 3rd-Team All-American (Associated Press)
  • 2008 3rd-Team All-American (Rivals.com)
  • 2008 Hon. Men. All-American (Sports Illustrated)
  • 2008 Valero Alamo Bowl Defensive MVP
  • 2008 Unanimous 1st-Team All-Big 12
  • 2008 Bednarik Award Semifinalist
  • 2008 Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist
  • 2008 Lott Trophy National Defensive Player of the Week (Nov. 11)
  • 2008 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 22)
  • 2008 Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 1)
  • 2008 Team Hammer Award Winner (Most Big Hits)
  • 2008 Team Linebacker of the Year
  • 2007 1st-Team All-Big 12 (Associated Press, San Antonio Express-News, Rivals.com)
  • 2007 2nd-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Dallas Morning News, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, Waco Tribune-Herald)
  • 2007 Team Linebacker of the Year
  • 2007 Team Hammer Award Winner (Most Big Hits)
  • 2006 Team Special Teams Player of the Year.

Finally here's what Nolan Nawrocki at PFW has to say about him:

"Instinctive, fast-flowing weak-side linebacker with a great nose for the ball and an exceptional football-playing temperament. Makes plays all over the field (see Alamo Bowl vs. Northwestern) and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time (see Illinois). Breaks down well in space and can secure open-field tackles. Plays a bit upright and has some hip tightness that appears to restrict his movement, but still shows outstanding range and agility. Explosive hitter. Lined up inside at times and has the strength to take on blocks and play in the middle. Also possesses the speed to easily blanket the field on the outside and excel in coverage. Closes fast to the ball and is explosive on contact. Excellent balance — is seldom on the ground. Times up blitzes well and has very good finishing speed. Football IQ, intangibles and character are all outstanding. Well-respected team captain and vocal on-field leader. The most freakish linebacker to come out of the draft since Patrick Willis, Weatherspoon should make an immediate impact in the NFL and possesses "special" traits. Top-10 talent."

http://www.profootba...n-a-freakish-lb

Other than that I have no idea what makes 'spoon such a vaunted prospect?

Im not a big fan of Weatherspoon. The few Mizzou games I saw, he disappeared for long stretches. OLB is a need, but it will be easier to solve that need than to solve the need for a DE.

Many people forget that coverage was Lofton's weakness coming out of Oklahoma. He was a two down LB his rookie year because of that. Many people also forget that Mike Peterson was playing MLB in JAX, and that this was his first year back at OLB!

Of course, the pass coverage is gonna suck when the QB has time to eat a $5 foot long before he feels any pressure.

The Falcons are in a heck of a bind. There are so many quality RFAs that wounld have been UFAs if it wasn't for the labor issues. Thomas Howard is a nice example. He would have been a UFA, and I believe his skill set would have fit nicely into our defense. But, because of the RFA rules due to the uncapped season, he is now an RFA with a 2nd round tender. Ironically, the best LB in Oakland, Kirk Morrison, only has a 3rd round tender, but he is an ILB.

Look up his stats. Couple that type of production with his size/athleticism and you get a first round pick.

2009 - 111 tackles - 14.5 tackles for a loss - 4.5 sacks - 1 INT

2008 - 155 tackles - 18.5 tackles for a loss - 5.0 sacks - 3 INTs

2007 - 130 tackles - 9.5 tackles for a loss - 3.0 sacks - 0 INT

The one issue with Weatherspoon's game that bothers me is that he struggles to shed blocks. However he is good in coverage, has good instincts and reads plays well, moves through the trash in the middle of the field well, has good range, blitzes effectively but doesn't have pass rush moves (not too surprising), is a very good tackler and packs a punch as a hittter, not to mention he is a very vocal leader.

He isn't a perfect prospect, but I think he would be a very good addition to our defense. He could potentially start right away as a rookie and replace Peterson at WLB, which would be a very substantial upgrade especially versus the pass.

Here's a link to Weatherspoon highlights on youtube:

And here's the Universal Draft Presents - link:

Man, his intensity reminds me of Lofton! Would love to see them play together! Wow!

====================================================================================

Blank: "I'm no longer about back-to-back winning seasons; I'm about rings now."

H_ELL YEAH!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

I believe Weatherspoon is really that good. And lets not forget that although we do have some backup LB's they are not ready to step up and fill in on the starting defense if Lofton or Peterson were to be injured. Even if Weatherspoon didn't crack the starting lineup his rookie season, which I highly doubt he would not, he would be a backup and depth if some injuries occur with our staring LB's. If Lofton got injured we could move Peterson inside where he wouldn't have to play in so much space so his reduced athleticism due to his age wouldn't show as much. Then move Weatherspoon to the weak side. I think that picking up Weatherspoon is the best pick and highest value pick at 19. OLB is a need people Peterson is not going to play forever and I believe his contract was only for 2 years so this could be his last we need a OLB.

Check out the senior bowl highlights and it will give you a better understanding of how good he can be in the nfl. He stood out as one of the best of the best. Also I read an article that showed that TD likes to draft players that played and/or made an impact in the senior bowl. Also see Brandon Graham highlights who also stood out as one of the best of the best.

You could have used your other thread on Spoon - instead of starting a new one basically saying exactly the same thing?!

And to answer your question...

1. He is the best player available at a position of need.
  2. He also has the ability to be very productive in his first year - look at Patrick Willis and Brian Cushing.
  3. Not to mention 410 career tackles, of which 43.5 went for a loss, 12.5 sacks, 4 FF's 17 pass deflections and 4 Int's (2 return for TD)!
  4. He can play all 3 LB positions, something that Smithy values.
  5. He is a team leader, something that TD values.
  6. He's also picked up his fair share of awards

• 2009 Pre-Season All-American Candidate
  • 2008 Butkus Award Finalist
  • 2008 2nd-Team All-American (Phil Steele)
  • 2008 3rd-Team All-American (Associated Press)
  • 2008 3rd-Team All-American (Rivals.com)
  • 2008 Hon. Men. All-American (Sports Illustrated)
  • 2008 Valero Alamo Bowl Defensive MVP
  • 2008 Unanimous 1st-Team All-Big 12
  • 2008 Bednarik Award Semifinalist
  • 2008 Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist
  • 2008 Lott Trophy National Defensive Player of the Week (Nov. 11)
  • 2008 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 22)
  • 2008 Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 1)
  • 2008 Team Hammer Award Winner (Most Big Hits)
  • 2008 Team Linebacker of the Year
  • 2007 1st-Team All-Big 12 (Associated Press, San Antonio Express-News, Rivals.com)
  • 2007 2nd-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches, Dallas Morning News, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, Waco Tribune-Herald)
  • 2007 Team Linebacker of the Year
  • 2007 Team Hammer Award Winner (Most Big Hits)
  • 2006 Team Special Teams Player of the Year.

Finally here's what Nolan Nawrocki at PFW has to say about him:

http://www.profootba...n-a-freakish-lb

Other than that I have no idea what makes 'spoon such a vaunted prospect?

I LOVE IT!! :D

The one issue with Weatherspoon's game that bothers me is that he struggles to shed blocks. However he is good in coverage, has good instincts and reads plays well, moves through the trash in the middle of the field well, has good range, blitzes effectively but doesn't have pass rush moves (not too surprising), is a very good tackler and packs a punch as a hittter, not to mention he is a very vocal leader.

He isn't a perfect prospect, but I think he would be a very good addition to our defense. He could potentially start right away as a rookie and replace Peterson at WLB, which would be a very substantial upgrade especially versus the pass.

Notice they say that about every LB in every scouting report with good coaching that can be fixed and I think we have some of the best coaches in the league.

Notice they say that about every LB in every scouting report with good coaching that can be fixed and I think we have some of the best coaches in the league.

I hesitate to say that it can be "fixed" but I think it can be improved. He really does struggle with it at times, but I think the other things he brings to the table outweigh that issue, especially if he can improve upon it.

And I also disagree that they say that about every linebacker in every scouting report. Some linebackers, like Brandon Spikes for instance, are incredibly good at shocking offensive lineman, disengaging from blocks and making plays up near or behind the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure if that's what you were trying to say, but that is how I read it at least.