My 2nd Favorite Middle Round TE

Jaymadd

Tony Moeaki

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 252 | Position:TE | College: Iowa

Overview

Injuries have prevented Moeaki from meeting the lofty expectations he brought to Iowa as a high school All-American and the top tight end prospect in the country by some recruiting services. Even in his first-team All-Big Ten breakout senior season (30 receptions, 387 yards, four touchdowns) he missed three games with a high ankle sprain.

After two years in which he offered solid blocking and receiving as a reserve (11-140-3 in 2006, 8-112-0 in 2005 as a true freshman), he played only nine games with one start in 2008 (13-144-1) due to nagging injuries and concussions and four games in 2007 (14-170-3) before receiving a medical redshirt due to a broken wrist and dislocated elbow.

When healthy, Moeaki's strong blocking and ability to make spectacular catches make it easy to picture him as an NFL starter. But those durability issues will not disappear during the draft process no matter how well he catches the ball or runs during workouts.

Analysis

Release: Smooth in his release but takes time to get going out of a three-point stance. Able to chip or even get a punch on a pass rusher before smoothly going out on his route. Fluidly beats linebackers down the seam, but could use his size and strength to get better separation.

Hands: Regularly makes highlight reel catches but will have the occasional crucial drop. Very good body control to make catches against the sideline, down the seam in traffic and on jump balls. Uses his hands more often than not, grabbing the ball away from his frame. Adjusts to poor passes whether high, low or wide. A reliable red zone target who uses his size and hands to hold off smaller defenders. Not a threat on jump balls.

Route running: Can be used in motion and on the line. Gets open on crossing and corner patterns against man coverage, and sits down in zones. Not an elite athlete; doesn't sink his hips when making a cut. Sells the block before turning for a middle screen, bootleg or short out in the end zone. Aware of the sideline, getting both feet in bounds while securing the catch, even when under pressure.

After the catch: Strong but fluid runner in the open field. Secures the ball in traffic. Not overly elusive or agile, but can leap over cut tackles and continue on his way. Has fair speed for his size but does not have a second gear to run away from defenders.

Blocking: Gives very good effort and owns some pop blocking for the run game. Has the bulk and strength to seal the edge against defensive ends, as well as the feet to mirror them in pass protection. Keeps feet moving and hands active to maintain angle and sustain. Blocks through the whistle. Doesn't consistently reach defensive backs downfield, but is tough for them to rip off once he latches on.

Intangibles: Hard worker who does everything asked of him on the field. Quiet player but commands respect through his production, attitude and reliability. Serious durability concerns. Lost for the 2007 season four games in with a broken wrist and dislocated elbow, spring 2008 practice due to surgery on that wrist, preseason practices and the first two games of the 2008 season with a fractured foot, additional time in 2008 with hamstring injury and concussions, and three games with an ankle injury in 2009.

I must admit I didnt really watch this kid until the Bowl game between GT and Iowa, but he really showed up and confirmed that at the NFL combine. I really think he will be available in the 4th round. I like the fact he can block and showed that he can be a factor as a receiving TE. The biggest concern is those small injuries that he had, but if he is there in the 4th I hope we can get this kid.

Ed Dickson and Dorin Dickerson will be better than Moeaki. He is an all or nothing injury risk. He is either completely healthy or out for 3 games.

I really like Pitt's Dorin Dickerson. He reminds me so much of Kellen Winslow Jr. His SR year he had 49 catches for 529 yards and 10 Tds. He needs to work on his blocking, but is athletic enough that he can split out wide.

Combine Profile

Ed Dickson and Dorin Dickerson will be better than Moeaki. He is an all or nothing injury risk. He is either completely healthy or out for 3 games.

I really like Pitt's Dorin Dickerson. He reminds me so much of Kellen Winslow Jr. His SR year he had 49 catches for 529 yards and 10 Tds. He needs to work on his blocking, but is athletic enough that he can split out wide.

Combine Profile

I like the idea of Dorin Dickerson at #2 WR in place of Jenkins.

I must admit I didnt really watch this kid until the Bowl game between GT and Iowa, but he really showed up and confirmed that at the NFL combine. I really think he will be available in the 4th round. I like the fact he can block and showed that he can be a factor as a receiving TE. The biggest concern is those small injuries that he had, but if he is there in the 4th I hope we can get this kid.

I really love this guy but his injuries scare me to death. I would take him in the 5th.