Is it possible for us to trade down and still get the guy we want?

I believe TD will do this if the opporunity presents itself.. It could be highly possible that we trade down with the pats, they jump up to 19 and we fall back to the 22nd pick, and acquire one of the pats 3 2nd rounders preferbly their 44th pick. We could still get graham, along with picking up a 2nd rounder. Given the close relationship TD has had with the pats, is it possible????

I believe TD will do this if the opporunity presents itself.. It could be highly possible that we trade down with the pats, they jump up to 19 and we fall back to the 22nd pick, and acquire one of the pats 3 2nd rounders preferbly their 44th pick. We could still get graham, along with picking up a 2nd rounder. Given the close relationship TD has had with the pats, is it possible????

Or, is it possible for us to pick Graham at 19 and then move back into the late 1st and get Spoon? Would it be worth what we would have to give up to move back into the 1st? You would have to think that our defense would be set for many years after that move. Then the rest of the draft and most of next year can be focused all on the offense. Just asking.

Or, is it possible for us to pick Graham at 19 and then move back into the late 1st and get Spoon? Would it be worth what we would have to give up to move back into the 1st? You would have to think that our defense would be set for many years after that move. Then the rest of the draft and most of next year can be focused all on the offense. Just asking.

even if that is possible, could we afford to do that, paying 2 1st round guys???

I do think it's possible, but I think if New England was trading up, it'd either be to land Haden if he falls, or Graham. So we would have to hope Spoon lasts that long. If Morgan falls at 19, I think he's the pick without a doubt. I think if he isn't, it's down to Spoon and Graham. We KNOW they aren't going corner by listening to TD's comments, and I doubt offense if where we go with 2 needs a HUGE value positions on defense. If you look at TD's first 3 first round pick: QB, OT, DT. 3 of the top 5 value positions in all of football, DE and LB are up there too. Look for him to go there.

I made this comment for reading what you put. Paying 2 first round guys that late wouldn't really be a problem for us I think. However, TD comes from a tradition of trading down more than up, so I don't see that happening. (Sam Baker is an exception to this rule)

Edited by FlyHighFalcons

even if that is possible, could we afford to do that, paying 2 1st round guys???

Im not sure. But man would our defense look scary good.

DL: Abe, PJ, Babs, Graham/Biermann

LB's: Nicholas, Lofton, Spoon/Peterson

DB's: Owens, DeCoud, Moore/Coleman, Robinson.

and lots of soild depth. The defense is set and pretty much done with.

Yeah I would say so. Probably not so much at DE but if the FO really feel we are set at pass rush an OLB or OT with decent value could be had towards the end of the 1st.

TD has said, however, that the 1st round is like a prize that you get every year, and it really is depressing (he compared it to Christmas) to not have that gift.

He's also said there's tons of value at the 19ish picks.

He's also said, though, that he would love to get into the 2nd round since this draft is so deep.

I've noticed a lot of mocks showing Weatherspoon going to the Saints @ 32 before the combine...

I would still love to get a DE at 19 if Griffen, Graham, or Morgan are available...

I dont believe we will trade completely out of the 1st if we do trade down, but I dont think that Graham will get past the Pats, but Emerson Griffen is an option too at DE, the kid has a ton of potential and a very quick 1st step, and was very good against the run at USC.

Trading down from 19 to 23 wouldn't bring us an extra 2nd. Even a third rounder would be over paying. We might be able to swap picks in the first in exchange for swapping our third for one of their seconds.

if the pats really want a guy and know that that player is not going to make it to the 24th pick, and he is still avalible when we pick, i wouldnt be surprised if the pats front office pulled the trigger..they have 3 2nd rounders..whats one meaningless pick gonna cost them..

I dont believe we will trade completely out of the 1st if we do trade down, but I dont think that Graham will get past the Pats, but Emerson Griffen is an option too at DE, the kid has a ton of potential and a very quick 1st step, and was very good against the run at USC.

Just a quick correction Jay, it's Everson Griffen. But I do like Griffen but I've read on every scouting report of him that he takes some plays off and his motor doesn't seem to exist on a lot of plays. I don't like seeing that on anybody's scouting reports, which is why I don't want him. However, he is talented and I wouldn't cry if we landed him.

My final theory: If Morgan is there at 19, he's the pick. If Haden is there and Morgan isn't, trade down so somebody can take Morgan so we can land Graham or Spoon later.

I do think it's possible, but I think if New England was trading up, it'd either be to land Haden if he falls, or Graham. So we would have to hope Spoon lasts that long. If Morgan falls at 19, I think he's the pick without a doubt. I think if he isn't, it's down to Spoon and Graham. We KNOW they aren't going corner by listening to TD's comments, and I doubt offense if where we go with 2 needs a HUGE value positions on defense. If you look at TD's first 3 first round pick: QB, OT, DT. 3 of the top 5 value positions in all of football, DE and LB are up there too. Look for him to go there.

I made this comment for reading what you put. Paying 2 first round guys that late wouldn't really be a problem for us I think. However, TD comes from a tradition of trading down more than up, so I don't see that happening. (Sam Baker is an exception to this rule)

Has TD traded down since he's been here? I don't recall any, and TD even said he doesn't like to trade down with players on the board.

Doubt the Pats would give us a 2nd round pick. If they did want to move up, giving up one of their 2nds would put them in the picks 12 to 15 range. The Pats draft way too smart to give up a 2nd to move up just 3 spots in the 1st.

Edited by nevesmetro