Our Tight Ends...........

2ColdRyan

Im not sold on any TEs in the draft and the fa tes are aging.........what would you do?

Aging? well this year they will be older because they are not UFA until after playing 6 years

so out of college at 21/22 plus playing for 6 years makes them all 27/28. Now most teams have

signed or tendered their #1TE and maybe even their #2TE so there is not going to be much out there.

I found the same thing when I looked for UFAs to get OL depth. ie mostly aging and backups players. Most of the players with 7,8,9 years (under 30) had never been starters or had played most of their time on a losing team ( and I understand that they could be a good player on a bad team)

Edited by delaigle

Aging? well this year they will be older because they are not UFA until after playing 6 years

so out of college at 21/22 plus playing for 6 years makes them all 27/28. Now most teams have

signed or tendered their #1TE and maybe even their #2TE so there is not going to be much out there.

I found the same thing when I looked for UFAs to get OL depth. ie mostly aging and backups players. Most of the players with 7,8,9 years (under 30) had never been starters or had played most of their time on a losing team ( and I understand that they could be a good player on a bad team)

so you wouldnt address the te situation this year then?

Just because you are not sold doesnt mean that the TE class is not talented. Actually this is a pretty good TE class this year. I think we could find a good project in the middle rounds like Pitta, Clay Harbour, Tony Meioki, Jimmy Graham. This is a good draft to select at TE.

I know I certainly would. Though, I actually like some of the TEs in this year's draft. From Gresham and Gronkowski (projected 1st and 2nd rounders) to Jimmy Graham and even Clay Harbor.

I really am not sure if Tony will play past this upcoming year or not. It would sure be nice to have his replacement on deck to learn from him until that day comes, though.

not looking for a project none of those guys are good blockers

Actually Harbour and Miekio(sp) are good blockers that can also catch. Pitta is functional as a blocker, and is a very willing blocker - meaning he can be taught better technique. Jimmy Graham works hard and shows that he is willing to block too. What you really look for in a TE coming out of college especially in the mid to late rounds is someone that is willing to block and has an attitude to learn. If we wanted a complete TE the best choice is Rob Gronoski(sp), but he has injury concerns.

Absolutely need to capitalize on having one of the greatest, if not the greatest, TE in history has a mentor at TE (not to mention the influence he has on other peope in the locker room.)

The question is are the young ones we have going to be able to step up once he's gone? If the FO doesn't think so, then we need to go TE in the 3rd/4th/5th as I see it.

No I would go with the best available TE either Draft or FA BUT I think Gonzo,

Peelle, and Zinger are good to go. If they need a #4 get a Rookie to learn under Gonzo.

AND I know you do not like the rookie class.

Just like I did find 1 UFA OG that I think the Falcons could go after for OL depth,

he was a starter on a winning team and he is still under 30, he was the only one I think I would go after.

of course there are the OLmen in the draft middle rounds.

Tony Scheffler could still be an option, though that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Depending on how the Chris Houston trade works out, ATL could have as many as 6 picks between the 3rd and 5th rounds (original 3, 2 potential comp picks, plus 4th? rounder for Houston) and it shouldn't take much to pry the obviously unsuited Scheffler from his current Denver purgatory.

A 4th or 5th rounder (maybe throw in JA98) for a 27 year old 5th year vet with a couple of 40+catch, 6oo+ yard seasons under his belt to come in and spend his first season in the ATL learning behind the Living Legend, Tony Gonzales-- that sounds like a great oppurtunity for success to me.

Actually Harbour and Miekio(sp) are good blockers that can also catch. Pitta is functional as a blocker, and is a very willing blocker - meaning he can be taught better technique. Jimmy Graham works hard and shows that he is willing to block too. What you really look for in a TE coming out of college especially in the mid to late rounds is someone that is willing to block and has an attitude to learn. If we wanted a complete TE the best choice is Rob Gronoski(sp), but he has injury concerns.

I would love us to get Pitta...we might have to use our 3rd though

theres some good TE's in this years draft....better than previous years

Dorin Dickerson in round 3. At 230 lbs he needs to add some size, but is a decent blocker already, and he would give huge mismatches all over the field. He could be our Jermicheal Finley. He is so athletic and talented that he would be awesome to learn under TG for a season or 2.

We have Zinger as our 2nd TE, he is a great blocker, and has been working on catching.

I would let Peelle go if Zinger is ready and have Gonzo, Zinger and Dickerson as the TEs.

I bet Olson for a 3rd would be easy - since Bears have no picks early in the draft

that would be sweet too. it would be an impossible defense to matchup w.

White, Jenkins, Douglas, Gonzo, Olsen.....wow.

even in 2 TE sets you could just assume run. And we could move either in motion at any time to make a mismatch.

(same with Dickerson, but this is a proven guy, round 1 talent)

Gonzo is still one of the best in the league. Peele is certainly serviceable. I don't think reaching for a TE in the draft is the way to go...it's not that concerning at this point. IMO

However, if they see guy that's rated high on their board...why not bring him in and learn some tricks from the master.

You have a good point. Imo, we are not in dire straits at this position by any means.

Still, I think one of the reasons to consider the replacement thing this year, besides some good talent being on the board, is the fact that we are going to have our fair share of draft picks to work with as well.

Feels good to have the luxury of actually being able to discuss a position which we are not currently under pressure to fill right at this moment.

You have a good point. Imo, we are not in dire straits at this position by any means.

Still, I think one of the reasons to consider the replacement thing this year, besides some good talent being on the board, is the fact that we are going to have our fair share of draft picks to work with as well.

Feels good to have the luxury of actually being able to discuss a position which we are not currently under pressure to fill right at this moment.

but why wait until we are in a desperate situation? then we run the risk of either overpaying or overdrafting just to fill the spot.

If we can get the talent now in a mid round that will be ready in 1-2 years, do it. Immediate holes arent gonna be filled w mid round picks. thats where you draft special teams and developmental talent IMO.

No I would go with the best available TE either Draft or FA BUT I think Gonzo,

Peelle, and Zinger are good to go. If they need a #4 get a Rookie to learn under Gonzo.

AND I know you do not like the rookie class.

Just like I did find 1 UFA OG that I think the Falcons could go after for OL depth,

he was a starter on a winning team and he is still under 30, he was the only one I think I would go after.

of course there are the OLmen in the draft middle rounds.

who is this og that you speak of?

but why wait until we are in a desperate situation? then we run the risk of either overpaying or overdrafting just to fill the spot.

If we can get the talent now in a mid round that will be ready in 1-2 years, do it. Immediate holes arent gonna be filled w mid round picks. thats where you draft special teams and developmental talent IMO.

I see what you thought I was saying. Allow me to clarify. I was telling Speezy that I understood his thoughts about why a TE may not be on the top of some fan's list, since we are not in dire straits at the position.

However, I went on to say that, even though we are not under any pressure to pursue a TE this year, that I support doing so. Not only because there is good talent on the draft board this year at this position but also because we are going to have quite a few draft picks this year and the luxury of being able to do this early. This also gives Gonzo a year or two to work with his replacement and coach him up.

I see what you thought I was saying. Allow me to clarify. I was telling Speezy that I understood his thoughts about why a TE may not be on the top of some fan's list, since we are not in dire straits at the position.

However, I went on to say that, even though we are not under any pressure to pursue a TE this year, that I support doing so. Not only because there is good talent on the draft board this year at this position but also because we are going to have quite a few draft picks this year and the luxury of being able to do this early. This also gives Gonzo a year or two to work with his replacement and coach him up.

Yeah, I feel ya.

If the talent is there mid-round, and the FO is satisfied with how the more prioritized needs have been met (i.e. pass rush and pass block)...

I say go for a TE then.

Gresham did not help himself at the combine and

he should fall. Jimmy Graham is raw but has no

limits on his upside. One of those two might fall

into a high value area in this draft and problem

solved. (We really don't have a problem so that is

easy to say!) It would be good to get somebody with

talent on board to learn from Gonzalez.