Who should get that second spot?

thempizzle

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start opposite Dunta?

• Brent Grimes
    • Chris Owens
    • Brian Williams

Everyone in previous threads seems to believe that Owens is a shoe-in for that second spot and I just don't understand it.

Grimes has been with the team longer, leads the team in picks and proved to me that he was the best corner on our roster last year. He made plays all year long, using his athleticism to counter the size mismatch he had almost every week. I think he would make a phenomenal 2nd corner. He will be against worse talent the guys he matched up against all year long last year.

Williams played very well before he got hurt, I would argue that he deserves it over Owens also.

I'm not saying Owens won't eventually be a starter on this team or he didnt play great last year, I'm just saying I don't think he deserves the starting spot over Grimes based simply off their play last year (and Grimes' the year before).

Edited by thempizzle

No love for Grimes? I don't understand it! Some of these OWENS-voters gimmie some explination.

I know he played well down the stretch... but Grimes did, too. Grimes was usually the one on the better recievers... Grimes was playing before Owens was...

Grimes was our best corner last year.

From a realistic standpoint Grimes and Owens did play much better towards the end, but also played horrible QB's and in harsh weather as well. Having said that, i think that Owens will end up being the 2nd CB starter. IMO i think Grimes is best suited for depth at CB and a good NB.

It don't matter who starts if we get that pass rush fixed though.

I'm having an argument with a buddy as we speak who just proclaims over and over that TYE Hill will fight his way into the starting lineup whereas I don't even see him making it past preseason. To many other corners on this team between Robinson, Grimes, Williams, Jackson and Ownes. And thats all before the draft. No telling if we take another corner into the fold.

But to answer your question , right now I see a rotation of Grimes and Williams starting next to Robinson with maybe Owens getting in there later in the year.

Edited by atl falcon 89

I'm having an argument with a buddy as we speak who just proclaims over and over that TYE Hill will fight his way into the starting lineup whereas I don't even see him making it past preseason. To many other corners on this team between Robinson, Grimes, Williams, Jackson and Ownes. And thats all before the draft. No telling if we take another corner into the fold.

But to answer your question , right now I see a rotation of Grimes and Williams starting next to Robinson with maybe Owens getting in there later in the year.

Honestly, Tye Hill is a ridiculous athlete and I hope he gets his act together. He might have the talent to start... he was a first round talent whereas Grimes and Owens combined wouldn't merit a 2nd rounder.

He's had problems being lazy and just not caring and that's got him going nowhere. If he was coached up and played to his potential, it would not surprise me by any means if he beat out Grimes and Owens.

I don't see that happening, though. I think it's Robinson with Grimes, Owens, Williams, Hill...

Edited by thempizzle

Brian Williams is the obvious choice for me going into the season. His play before the injury was the best we had at the CB position, and him getting resigned furthers the idea that he'll be on the field. Owens will still get a lot of playing time though.

No love for Grimes? I don't understand it! Some of these OWENS-voters gimmie some explination.

I know he played well down the stretch... but Grimes did, too. Grimes was usually the one on the better recievers... Grimes was playing before Owens was...

Grimes was our best corner last year.

I love Grimes as well but went with Owens because he is much better in run support. Grimes will be the nickel where it will be mostly against the pass so he won't have to help against the run. Also, can't say Grimes covered better WR's because he doesn't follow the best WR from side to side meaning him and Owens faced the same WRs because it is very rare a WR lines up on the same side every time. Owens also was giving him a run for his money in TC before going down, even though Grimes was winning. I love both guys though but Owens is more of an all around corner which in our system is what you need to be.

Brent Grimes

I read that Dunta Robinson switched to the LCB spot and Grimes plays like a Pro-Bowler in the RCB spot. Honestly, although I love Grimes and he is my favorite player I think Brian Williams was the best CB on the team. If he is 100% healthy which I doubt he is next season I want him starting for sure. Him, then Grimes, and then Owens. Owens is the future for us. I want Grimes and Owens, they seem to play very well together and those last four games they played great. I can't wait until this pre-season so I can watch them battle it out. I hope this guy doesn't have the job for sure because he didn't even have an INT last season. I want them all to battle it out. If you read this I thank you.

Our scheme is simple fellas, we have a LCB and a RCB.

If we had a #1 and #2 corner, Dunta would probably considered our #1. However, #1 corners more often than not play the LCB spot. Dunta plays RCB. Therefore, if we used the #1 and #2 monikers, Dunta has the #2 spot.

This leaves the #1 spot, the LCB, open for competition.

Who gets it? I've been on record here saying since the BEGINNING of last season that it seemed to me that our coaches were grooming Owens to be our LCB.

I've felt all along that Grimes and Jackson will trade out the NCB spot based on the matchup (Jackson for those larger slot guys and Grimes for those smaller/quicker types).

Williams, in my view, backs up almost every slot and can also play FS in our scheme (in other words, he's EXCELLENT depth all across the board).

I dont understand how people can say Jackson is the odd man out. If I recall correctly Jackson played awful when all of our other CB's were playing awful, when Owens came in evrything changed for some reason and he as Grimes and Owens did, played well.

RCB- Dunta

LCB- Owens

NB- Grimes and Jackson

Williams supplies the vet presence and wont be asked to do much but we know when we do ask him to do something he will do it right.

Hill will be cut, hopefully Houston is traded. If Dunta goes down well we know Grimes can play some good football at RCB, if Owens goes down then I expect that our best CB will move over to LCB and Grimes will play RCB. It feels good to be covered at CB, people will be surprised at the progress Jackson has made he will be in Atlanta for a long time.