First Falcons 2010 Mock Draft

Alright guys, I new to the site but I'm a long time fan of the Falcons. I've been keeping a close eye on all the offseason activity and I think I have a good idea of the direction TD is going to go with this one. So without to much beating around the bush, here we go.

1.)Round 1 Pick 19 - Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri

I know the great debate of Graham vs. Weatherspoon. I know our need of an elite pass rush however, as several people have mentioned, I don't think Graham is the right pick. Graham does have an astonishing motor, however he doesn't have the size and power that Pro DEs need to succeed. Granted there are some DE's in the NFL who are similarly sized, the name people have been throwing around is Dwight Freeney. Let me make this clear, Graham is NOT Dwight Freeney. Graham doesn't have the first step that Freeney does, nor does he have half the array of moves Freeney does. Graham may turn out to be decent, I just don't think he will be a quarterback destroying machine in the NFL. Now on to Sean Weatherspoon, Spoon has been shooting up draft boards everywhere. He plays with the same kind of motor that Graham does, the difference maker is that Spoon has the tangibles to go along with that motor. He can get to the quarterback in a blitz package and he can drop back and COVER. On top of that, Spoon is a natural born leader, players gravitate towards the man. AND Spoon has shown interest in wanting to a falcon*. What's not to love?

2.)Round 3 Pick 83 - Tony Washington OT Abilene Christian

Some people will want to go DE now that we went LB in the first round but another DE prospect is not what we need. On top of that I think our D-Line will be fine. Peria coming back will help a lot. And also the dreaded JA98 looked a little more productive a DT and Anderson has at least another great season in him. So we will turn to the OL. Washington is a OT with good size 6'6" and 311lbs. He could go higher but is still likely to be there when we pick.

3.)Round 3 Comp. Pick - Andre Roberts WR The Citadel

I understand we have other concerns here but Andre Roberts is a steal at this pick. He has been great at The Citadel and impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl. He is a solid WR and doesn't drop a pass. He will be a great receiver in the NFL and a solid No. 2 right behind White.

4.)Round 4 Pick - Donovan Warren CB Michigan

Even though we just signed Dunta Robinson, I think Donovan is just to good to pass up here. Donovan had a slow speed at the combine which is why he falls this far. However Donovan is a great cover CB and has great potential in the NFL.

5.)Round 4 Comp - John Jerry OG Ole Miss

Peria Jerry's brother. Did a good job of protecting Snead in Mississippi. Will do the same for Falcons. I know we already took a OT but you can never protect Matt Ryan too much.

6.)Round 5 Pick - Joique Bell RB Wayne State

Joique Bell is a pretty unknown name but put up over 2000 yrds his senior year. He also impressed scouts at the senior bowl. Even though we resigned Snelling and Norwood. Joique has potential to be a great running back in the NFL. If you doubt the guy, just look him up on youtube.

7.) Round 6 Pick - Colin Peek TE Alabama

Big (6'5") and strong. Peek is a great blocking TE with decent hands. Should be some good depth behind Tony.

8.) Round 6 Comp - Zoltan Mesko P Michigan

Cool Name. Average 43 yrds per punt.

Well that about sums it up. Thoughts?

Edited by AtlDurdyBirds

Brandon Graham has a brilliant first step. And LOL at you saying Dwight Freeney has an array of moves. SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN...you get the point.

I didn't say that Graham doesn't have a good first step. I said he doesn't have the first step that Freeney does. Just want to clear that up. It's not that I'm saying Graham isn't good, if he wasn't good he wouldn't even be being considered as a possible 19th overall. I'm saying that Graham has been getting a lot of comparison to Freeney, and he just isn't Freeney good. If we take Graham I won't be upset, I was just justifying my selection of Spoon over him. Hope that clears up the confusion.

P.S. While Freeney does enjoy the spin move. He has several more moves that he uses with a high level of success. Case in point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWUOMM6BEM

I didn't say that Graham doesn't have a good first step. I said he doesn't have the first step that Freeney does. Just want to clear that up. It's not that I'm saying Graham isn't good, if he wasn't good he wouldn't even be being considered as a possible 19th overall. I'm saying that Graham has been getting a lot of comparison to Freeney, and he just isn't Freeney good. If we take Graham I won't be upset, I was just justifying my selection of Spoon over him. Hope that clears up the confusion.

P.S. While Freeney does enjoy the spin move. He has several more moves that he uses with a high level of success. Case in point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWUOMM6BEM

Here's my thing, though...Graham has the potential to be a better overall player than Freeney. Not necessarily a better pass rusher, but a better overall player.

Who would you rather have: Jared Allen or Freeney?

I know I'd take Allen, and that's more who Graham reminds me of. He's very stout at the point of attack, one of the best block shedders I've seen come out in years, and he has a motor that just does not stop.

Here's my thing, though...Graham has the potential to be a better overall player than Freeney. Not necessarily a better pass rusher, but a better overall player.

Who would you rather have: Jared Allen or Freeney?

I know I'd take Allen, and that's more who Graham reminds me of. He's very stout at the point of attack, one of the best block shedders I've seen come out in years, and he has a motor that just does not stop.

I agree with you on the motor. His motor is honestly astounding. But Jared Allen is 6'6" prototypical end, whereas Graham is a 6'2" slightly undersized end. As far as a block shedder goes, he did well in college but that doesn't always translate to NFL. But hey, I hope that if we take him that you're right. And if TD picks him I'll back it all the way. I'm just a little scepical of his ability to be a elite NFL end. But enough of the argument. This argument has already been stated. We can just agree to disagree. Thank you though for your input. Any feelings on the rest of my draft

Alright guys, I new to the site but I'm a long time fan of the Falcons. I've been keeping a close eye on all the offseason activity and I think I have a good idea of the direction TD is going to go with this one. So without to much beating around the bush, here we go.

I know the great debate of Graham vs. Weatherspoon. I know our need of an elite pass rush however, as several people have mentioned, I don't think Graham is the right pick. Graham does have an astonishing motor, however he doesn't have the size and power that Pro DEs need to succeed. Granted there are some DE's in the NFL who are similarly sized, the name people have been throwing around is Dwight Freeney. Let me make this clear, Graham is NOT Dwight Freeney. Graham doesn't have the first step that Freeney does, nor does he have half the array of moves Freeney does. Graham may turn out to be decent, I just don't think he will be a quarterback destroying machine in the NFL. Now on to Sean Weatherspoon, Spoon has been shooting up draft boards everywhere. He plays with the same kind of motor that Graham does, the difference maker is that Spoon has the tangibles to go along with that motor. He can get to the quarterback in a blitz package and he can drop back and COVER. On top of that, Spoon is a natural born leader, players gravitate towards the man. AND Spoon has shown interest in wanting to a falcon*. What's not to love?

Some people will want to go DE now that we went LB in the first round but another DE prospect is not what we need. On top of that I think our D-Line will be fine. Peria coming back will help a lot. And also the dreaded JA98 looked a little more productive a DT and Anderson has at least another great season in him. So we will turn to the OL. Washington is a OT with good size 6'6" and 311lbs. He could go higher but is still likely to be there when we pick.

I understand we have other concerns here but Andre Roberts is a steal at this pick. He has been great at The Citadel and impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl. He is a solid WR and doesn't drop a pass. He will be a great receiver in the NFL and a solid No. 2 right behind White.

Even though we just signed Dunta Robinson, I think Donovan is just to good to pass up here. Donovan had a slow speed at the combine which is why he falls this far. However Donovan is a great cover CB and has great potential in the NFL.

Peria Jerry's brother. Did a good job of protecting Snead in Mississippi. Will do the same for Falcons. I know we already took a OT but you can never protect Matt Ryan too much.

Joique Bell is a pretty unknown name but put up over 2000 yrds his senior year. He also impressed scouts at the senior bowl. Even though we resigned Snelling and Norwood. Joique has potential to be a great running back in the NFL. If you doubt the guy, just look him up on youtube.

Big (6'5") and strong. Peek is a great blocking TE with decent hands. Should be some good depth behind Tony.

8.) Round 6 Comp - Robert Vaughn FS Connecticut

Five interceptions, 63 tackles, and three pass deflections as a senior.

9.) Round 7 - Zoltan Mesko P Michigan

I wouldn't mind having Mesko, though we don't have a 7th round pick this year. Would still want him and if so, what adjustments would you make to acquire him?

Edited by Bird-Dawg 59

There's no garentee that Washington falls to us, but OT is fairly deep this year and I think we have a good chance of getting him there.

Bell's main concern is the competition level. However, he isn't intimidated by it at all. Plus, he looked really good in the Senior Bowl practices. He has the paceince to wait for a hole to develop plus he has explosiveness to get through the hole quickly. On top of that he has excellent hands and can catch out of the backfeild. If he's there at end round 5 I believe you have to roll the dice.

Nice first mock, welcome. No way to say who will get picked when or where. But, I am 99.999 percent sure

TD will draft a TE at some point. Colin Peek is projected to be gone by the third round and I like that

pick also. I've included Peeks' profile for the reading pleasure of MB'ers.

STRENGTHS

Colin has good size to play his position. He shows solid quickness as an inline blocker when getting out of his stance and engaging. He has excellent techniques when blocking for both the run and the pass. Colin works well with the offensive lineman when blocking and looks to be a great teammate. He shows nice hands to catch the short passes to move the chains on those all important third downs. Colin is the type of player that all teams in the NFL can use; he should become a core player for the team that drafts him. He takes pride in blocking and moving the chains and likes the responsibility of being a part of moving the chains on those important third downs. He can sense when a play has the potential to turn a game around and steps up his game at those important moments. Colin is an offensive coordinator's best friend.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Colin shows good feet and balance when blocking, but he does not show the same quick feet and balance when running his routes. He needs to get a lot stronger in his upper and lower body. The longer Colin runs a route, the harder it is for him to catch the ball. Right now, Colin is dependable on short routes, stop routes and routes inside or near the goal line. He is very consistent inside the red zone, but does not break many tackles or give you much run after the catch yardage. I think the reason for this is because Colin does not want to fumble and is willing to go down and protect the ball. I suspect that Colin doesn't have confidence in his hands (in general), so he would rather protect the ball than gain extra yardage. This is not a bad thing if you are going to depend on him inside the red zone. Colin has solid talent and needs to work on his route running and overall strength, but I believe he will improve in all of these areas in the future.

BOTTOM LINE

Colin reminds me a lot of a tight end who played in the NFL for 16 years and played in 235 games before he retired. Pete Metzelaars was an excellent blocker with decent hands who was dependable in moving the chains, but did not give you much run after the catch yardage. He was a core player for some championship teams and a fan favorite. Colin has that type of potential if drafted by the right team. If you are looking for a TE/WR/H-back, then you are not interested in Colin. However, if your team is looking for a tight end who will help to make your offense productive in both the run and passing game, then you are looking for a player exactly like Colin. In this draft, with all the spread offenses that the NFL teams are running now, Colin is a dying breed unless he can step up his route running and be more consistent catching the ball down the field. He could do this, but it will take some time for him to develop this portion of his game.

Brandon Graham doesnt have strength? try 34 bench press reps on for size. rest is alright

34 you say? At the combine he only put up 31 reps*. Just before he tweeked his hamstring. Also, I think the 31 reps can somewhat be attributed to his relatively short arm length. However, still not bad.

* http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=65240&draftyear=2010&genpos=DE

Edited by AtlDurdyBirds

8.) Round 6 Comp - Zoltan Mesko P Michigan

Don't think the falcons wait that long for a TE. Don't see that at all. TG probably won't come back next year. You have to get him someone to teach. Don't see Colin's as that guy. I do agree that this draft will be more about offense. The first pick will be DE or LB no doubt about. Maybe even CB. The third round pick I can see a TE, WR or RB. The falcons have to address all of those positions and not to mention OL. The only positions that probably won't be addressed will be QB, FB and Safety. Unless Moore isn't recovering good enough to step up. If the falcons can get a couple more play makers on Offense and D.. And stay healthy. They can move to the next level.

Don't think the falcons wait that long for a TE. Don't see that at all. TG probably won't come back next year. You have to get him someone to teach. Don't see Colin's as that guy. I do agree that this draft will be more about offense. The first pick will be DE or LB no doubt about. Maybe even CB. The third round pick I can see a TE, WR or RB. The falcons have to address all of those positions and not to mention OL. The only positions that probably won't be addressed will be QB, FB and Safety. Unless Moore isn't recovering good enough to step up. If the falcons can get a couple more play makers on Offense and D.. And stay healthy. They can move to the next level.

I think OL comes at our second pick. But I could see us taking a TE with our 3 round comp pick. Maybe a Jimmy Graham or Dorin Dickerson. But not higher than that. However if somehow Aaron Hernandez was still around with our second pick I say we take him.