Question about domesticated house cats

I have a question and I hope someone here may can provide some insight:

I have 2 cats who are sisters. I got them at the shelter about a year ago and they are probably about 15 months old or so. They are really pretty yellow cats. One is a short hair and one is a long hair. I also got a puppy (beagle/golden retreiver mix) at about the same time. They have all grown up together. The two cats get along great and they tolerate the dog although the dog loves to play with them. Both cats and the dog (who is a male) have been fixed and have all of their shots.

During the winter I have been keeping them inside in my laundry room in kennels. The cats stay in one together and their kennel sits on top of the one the dog sleeps in. Last Sunday night I had the dog and the longhaired cat already put up in their keenels and called the shorthaired one. She came around the corner like she did every night, the dog saw her and barked like he did every night......absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Except this time she took off and didnt come back. I didnt see her Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday so I assumed she had either been hit by a car or killed by another animal.

Friday, my friend said he saw her and she ran off. I went to where he said she was and called her but never saw any sign of her. Just in case, I left some food out that night. It was gone this morning. I left some more food out tonight and looked out a few minutes ago and she was outside eating. At least I know she isnt dead. But she looked like she didnt recognize us and she ran away when I opened the door which is unlike her.

My question is this: Do domestic cats turn wild again that quickly? Again, she was in great health, very loveable and had all of her shots up to date so she shouldnt have rabies or anything like that. However, she just kind of had that wild, ferrel look in her eye that she never has had before. What should I do? I want to catch her and try to get her re-acclimated to living with us. Anybody ever experience this with your cat? I would come closer to expecting it out of a male cat, but this is an even temepred female. Any suggestions for getting her caught and back into the fold?

Hey Marv......get yourself a cat trap and place tuna inside. Seriously, Google 'cat trap'.

A friend of mine lost his cat at the Vet's office when his carrier came open by accident. He bought a cat trap and has been catcing one a night for the last week. He hasn't caught 'his' cat yet but if cat pelts brought decent money we could change careers.

i am baffled. perhaps a bad experience with the dog barking has frightened the poor cat.

it may take a couple of weeks before the cat reacquaints affection when it thinks of home.

a cat'a tolerance from personal experience is very neutral. however as the years pile up they are a bit more forgiving.

i have more experience with feral cats then domesticated as the years go by. so i am hoping i am not mixing the both in terms of characters.

Hey Marv......get yourself a cat trap and place tuna inside. Seriously, Google 'cat trap'.

A friend of mine lost his cat at the Vet's office when his carrier came open by accident. He bought a cat trap and has been catcing one a night for the last week. He hasn't caught 'his' cat yet but if cat pelts brought decent money we could change careers.

:lol::lol::lol:

You sure she didn't get another owner? I'm not trying to be funny, I have a white cat, that is the neighbhood varmint killer the whole block knows her. Every once in a while she dissapears. I was talking to the neighbors behind me one day and they were talking about her and they told me the neighbors next to them would invite her in and eat there. She would eat there. Two timer. lol :P But she always shows back up. I would put some signs out on your block or call the pound, if you haven't found the cat in a week. She could have been picked up by the dog pound. Good Luck. ;)