Pat Yasinskas' articles and comments

theProf

Robinson deal now official with Falcons

March, 6, 2010 Mar 6 2:56PM By Pat Yasinskas

Just finished an outdoor run because the temperature got above freezing (in Florida, that means 65 degrees) for the first time in like a month. Just as I finished, the Falcons called.

We (and I’m talking virtually the entire media world) have been reporting for about 24 hours that free-agent cornerback Dunta Robinson was about to join the Falcons. But now the contract is done and the deal is official. The Falcons are expected to make the formal announcement in the next few minutes.

We’ve already covered the impact of this move -- how it solidifies the cornerback position and will allow the Falcons to focus on the draft for help at defensive end and linebacker. Also, another reminder not to expect any more big signings by the Falcons in free agency. They may pursue a mid-level player or two, but this is going to be the only large deal.

The Falcons are so happy about this deal, they’re going to hold a news conference Monday afternoon at the Blank Family Offices. That space is usually reserved only when the Falcons land a big fish. Last time I was there was when Matt Ryan signed his contract.

NFC South mailbag

March, 6, 2010 Mar 6 11:57AM By Pat Yasinskas

Abe in Hartford writes: Hey Pat, Does you think the insistence of Falcons management to build the team through the draft hurts the team? I understand the logic behind the strategy when you have a salary cap, but there currently isn't one. We may well see a lockout in 2011. Given that the owner has the money and that the future is unknown, why not open up the wallet, get a free agent linebacker or end or both, and use the draft for depth?

Pat Yasinskas: No, I think the way Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith have built this team is very smart and they’ll stay on that path. They’re finalizing a deal with cornerback Dunta Robinson now and that’s going to be their one big splurge in free agency. I like that move a lot because it solidifies the secondary. It also allows them to focus on defensive end and linebacker in the draft. We don’t know what will happen with the labor situation, but I think the Falcons have set themselves up well for the long haul.

Robinson will bolster Atlanta's defense

March, 5, 2010 Mar 5 6:03PM By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN's John Clayton is reporting the Falcons and cornerback Dunta Robinon have agreed to terms on a six-year deal. They’re going to put the finishing touches on the contract language over the next few hours, but this is basically done.

We’ve known this was coming most of the day and it comes soon after the Falcons prevented Brian Williams from becoming a free agent by giving him a contract extension. Suddenly, the Atlanta secondary looks a lot better than it did at the end of last season.

But what’s it going to look like on opening day?

Well, Robinson’s got the big contract, so pencil him in as the No. 1 cornerback. Take Williams, Chris Houston, Christopher Owens, Brent Grimes and Chevis Jackson and throw them into competition throughout camp and see who steps up. The Falcons were happy with the play of safety Thomas DeCoud in his first year as a starter last season, but not exactly thrilled with the play of veteran safety Erik Coleman. They’ve got William Moore, who missed his rookie season with an injury, ready to step into Coleman’s spot.

One other key point, the Robinson signing means the Falcons now can turn their attention to the front seven in the upcoming draft. They’ve got needs at defensive end and outside linebacker and could fill those needs with their first few picks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

Interesting tidbit about the presser being held at the Blank family offices.

Yep, I thought that was very interesting too. I also thought the following sentence from Yasinskas' last article was very informative:

..."The Falcons were happy with the play of safety Thomas DeCoud in his first year as a starter last season, but not exactly thrilled with the play of veteran safety Erik Coleman."

Yep, I thought that was very interesting too. I also thought the following sentence from Yasinskas' last article was very informative:

..."The Falcons were happy with the play of safety Thomas DeCoud in his first year as a starter last season, but not exactly thrilled with the play of veteran safety Erik Coleman."

Yeah I'm surprised by that too I think Coleman did pretty well for a guy playing out of his natural position I think Moore will challenge him for the spot and I would like him back there if he could make plays but I dont think anyone was mad about how Coleman played last year. He did struggle in coverage last year but so did everyone else in the secondary.

Daniel Cox article on the Robinson signing:

Atlanta Falcons improve secondary with addition of Dunta Robinson

March 5, 9:11 PM Atlanta Falcons Examiner Daniel Cox

Those that believed the Atlanta Falcons were a sure bet to take a cornerback with the 19th pick in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft may have to reevaluate things today after Atlanta signed Houston Texans' free agent cornerback Dunta Robinson.

Robinson, 26, is a seven-year starter for the Texans, totaling 13 interceptions in that time.

After a standout rookie season that saw the Athens, Georgia native pull down six interceptions, many believed he was one of the league's young stars at the position.

He averaged less than two interceptions in the five seasons following 2004. His 2007 season was cut short by a knee injury that caused him to miss the first five games of that year.

Multiple media sources are reporting on Friday that the 2004 first-round pick (10th overall) agreed to a six-year deal on the first day of free agency. Terms have yet to be announced and the team has yet to make it official.

Robinson was the Texans' franchise player last season, earning $9.957 million. Houston allowed him to test free agency after believing they could move on without him.

By adding the 5'10", 184 pound corner, Atlanta is expected to improve their 28th-ranked pass defense from 2009.

Scouts, Inc describes the former University of South Carolina star as a tough and physical corner who is also a sure tackler. He plays with strong, tight coverage skills, good ball skills, and impressive leaping ability.

By many, the knock on Robinson is his inability to stay healthy, but the only injury of significance he's battled in his career was the knee injury that ended the 2007 campaign. He's played in every game he was available for the rest of his career.

The team re-signed veteran cornerback Brian Williams on Thursday, a player who played well in the first portion of the season, before suffering a torn ACL in Week 6.

With Williams back in the fold and Robinson added to the mix, Atlanta has seven cornerbacks on its roster. Tye Hill, Chris Owens, Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, and Chevis Jackson are all expected to compete for roles next season. The Falcons carried six corners last season.

The Houston Chronicle reported in late February that Robinson realized he would likely not be back with the Texans in 2010. They shared his comments in an email he sent to the newspaper.

"Sometimes, things happen like this when you're dealing with a tough business like the NFL," said Robinson. "I don't regret anything at all. I've been through a lot of things in my time here that made me a much better and much stronger man."

ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON COVERAGE

http://www.examiner.com/x-1778-Atlanta-Falcons-Examiner~y2010m3d5-drobinson

Daniel Cox article on the Robinson signing:

Atlanta Falcons improve secondary with addition of Dunta Robinson

March 5, 9:11 PM Atlanta Falcons Examiner Daniel Cox

Robinson, 26, is a seven-year starter for the Texans, totaling 13 interceptions in that time.

Cox did make a mistake in his article about Robinson's age. Dunta Robinson is already 27, and will turn 28 on April 11. From nfl.com including a link to his career stats as follows:

Dunta Robinson | #23 | CB

Houston Texans | Official Team Site

Height: 5-10 Weight: 184 Age: 27

Born: 4/11/1982 Athens , GA

College: South Carolina

Experience: 7th season

High School: Clarke Central HS [Athens, GA

http://www.nfl.com/p...le?id=ROB407958