My Case for Dunta

Hopefully you all will be easy on me with my first post!

After all the back and forth of whether the Robinson signing is a good one and whether or not we overspent, I wanted to chime in with a different perspective of Dunta Robinson.

First off, from a pure roster evaluation, he is the best corner we have by far. Each year that he's been here, TD has identified a key area of need and brings in the best player available at that position (i.e. Turner, Gonzalez) and this year is no different. Dunta will not miss tackles on the outside, will get his head around, will challenge any team's number one, and really wants to be in Atlanta.

Secondly, from a location standpoint, this is the man's dream! He's held in high regard a little ways down 85 in his hometown of Athens I believe he desires to make an impact in both the Atlanta and Athens communities. I am slightly biased, given the fact that I grew up and played basketball with Dunta, but over the years, he has been nothing but a good guy to me, my family and the entire community. Sure he's not perfect, but putting a guy in an environment that he wants to be in makes a huge difference in his performance.

Thirdly and finally, for those who take issue with his "Pay me Rick" message on the shoes - . Rich McKay got it wrong when he drafted Hall over Robinson. TD is now trying to right that wrong and I firmly believe all the naysayers will be singing a different tune a few games into the season.

Say what you will, but Dunta is another piece in the puzzle that will get us further into the postseason and frees up the options TD and his staff will have with our picks come draft day.

Now... let me have it.

After all the back and forth of whether the Robinson signing is a good one and whether or not we overspent, I wanted to chime in with a different perspective of Dunta Robinson.

First off, from a pure roster evaluation, he is the best corner we have by far. Each year that he's been here, TD has identified a key area of need and brings in the best player available at that position (i.e. Turner, Gonzalez) and this year is no different. Dunta will not miss tackles on the outside, will get his head around, will challenge any team's number one, and really wants to be in Atlanta.

Secondly, from a location standpoint, this is the man's dream! He's held in high regard a little ways down 85 in his hometown of Athens I believe he desires to make an impact in both the Atlanta and Athens communities. I am slightly biased, given the fact that I grew up and played basketball with Dunta, but over the years, he has been nothing but a good guy to me, my family and the entire community. Sure he's not perfect, but putting a guy in an environment that he wants to be in makes a huge difference in his performance.

Thirdly and finally, for those who take issue with his "Pay me Rick" message on the shoes - . Rich McKay got it wrong when he drafted Hall over Robinson. TD is now trying to right that wrong and I firmly believe all the naysayers will be singing a different tune a few games into the season.

Say what you will, but Dunta is another piece in the puzzle that will get us further into the postseason and frees up the options TD and his staff will have with our picks come draft day.

Now... let me have it.

hopefully he believes hes our asante for us

Here are the players Robinsons 13 picks have come against

2004: Rich Gannon(twice in same game)

Steve McNair

Brett Favre

Chad Pennington

Chad Hutchinson

2005: Peyton Manning

2006: Byron Leftwich

JP Losman

2007: Damon Huard

Jake Delhomme

2008: Carson Palmer

Aaron Rodgers

2009: None

Thats right, he's had 13 picks in 6 years and 6 interceptions his first year. That means he's picked 7 balls in 5 years. That's around 1.3 a year. In the last two years, Chris Houston has intercepted 3 balls in 2 years, or about 1.3 a year. He's missed 13 games in his career. Robinson is making twice the amount of money Darrele Revis is making and is much older, injury prone, and no chance of being anywhere near as good. Robinson had no interception in starting all 16 games this year. Robinson was targeted 82 times and allowed 54 catches for a 66% success rate. He allowed 3 td's. He made 64 tackles. He rarely helps in the run game making .2 run game tackles a game. He's a locker room cancer an Houston fans were glad to see him leave. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Now... let me have it.

Welcome to Atlanta Dunta!! Great to have you here

Steve McNair

Brett Favre

Chad Pennington

Chad Hutchinson

JP Losman

Jake Delhomme

Aaron Rodgers

Thats right, he's had 13 picks in 6 years and 6 interceptions his first year. That means he's picked 7 balls in 5 years. That's around 1.3 a year. In the last two years, Chris Houston has intercepted 3 balls in 2 years, or about 1.3 a year. He's missed 13 games in his career. Robinson is making twice the amount of money Darrele Revis is making and is much older, injury prone, and no chance of being anywhere near as good. Robinson had no interception in starting all 16 games this year. Robinson was targeted 82 times and allowed 54 catches for a 66% success rate. He allowed 3 td's. He made 64 tackles. He rarely helps in the run game making .2 run game tackles a game. He's a locker room cancer an Houston fans were glad to see him leave. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I think the decline in his performance was simply due to him wanting to leave the Texans. Also factoring in his ACL injury, that's an automatic drop in stats...but look at this, he's only allowed 3 TDs, right? How many do you think Houston has allowed in '09?!? Better yet, find some 3rd down conversion percentages and compare them to Houston's then get at me. Bottom line, he's starting a new chapter here in Atlanta, so you can keep all his past statistics at Houston. Robinson is an upgrade, period. Smitty's players play for him too...if Dunta is the cancer you speak of, TD would've never brought him here, believe that.

Steve McNair

Brett Favre

Chad Pennington

Chad Hutchinson

JP Losman

Jake Delhomme

Aaron Rodgers

You're right. Stats don't lie. I would make an argument for the pass rush, but that can't hold up with Super Mario there and a strong LB in Ryans. But to your point about him making more than Revis. Revis has only been in the league for three years. When it's time for him to re-up, he will be the highest paid CB in the league. So that's an irrelevant discussion unless they were signing contracts at the same time. Are you saying that because their numbers are comparable, that Robinson gives us the same production as Houston? What about deflictions and the number of times thrown at? I believe Robinson is a huge upgrade.

And to the locker room cancer... can you name me (outside of the shoes incident) one time that Robinson was a locker room cancer? Seems like all the Houston players regarded him as a team leader.

I was not saying Dunta is worse then Chris. He's not. Is he a top 3 cornerback? Is he 55 million dollars better then Chris Owens?

Probably not, but once again, you are comparing what he's making on the free agent market to Chris Owens' rookie contract. Doesn't work that way. 2 or 3 years from now when Owens re-ups, let's have the discussion on whether or not his numbers compared to Robinson's when he re-uped.

And again, please speak on the locker room cancer.

The Detriot Lions signed Leigh Bodden to a 4 year, 27 million dollar contract. Is Dunta 4 million a year better then Bodden? He sat out the entire 2009 training camp because he was franchised. Only one of 13 players last year not to resign. Guys who just want to get paid, they are not popular players in the locker room. HE even said , "Its all about him getting paid"

Edited by donb036

Simply put, Robinson may not have amazing stats and he is still tons better than Grimes and Houston period. I'd just about rather watch a scarecrow play over Grimes at this point but seriously there is no way Grimes should even be on the team now that Robinson has been signed. Now we just need a shut down corner to play opposite Robinson and our secondary would be dominate. Owens has talent but I don't see him being good enough (yet) to play anything but dime and nickel packages. We should either sign another stud CB in FA next year or draft a great one in next year's draft if one of our other backups don't blossum into an every down player over the next season.

The Detriot Lions signed Leigh Bodden to a 4 year, 27 million dollar contract. Is Dunta 4 million a year better then Bodden?

Thank you. Although many including you might disagree, I would say yes. A fully healed, healthy and happy Dunta Robinson is 4 mil better than Leigh Bodden. Bodden's a good corner, but never been a huge fan of his. Can you research his production during the same timeframe?

And again I ask... how is Dunta a locker room cancer.... minus the shoes.

Is Dunta 4 million a year better then Bodden? He sat out the entire 2009 training camp because he was franchised. Only one of 13 players last year not to resign. Guys who just want to get paid, they are not popular players in the locker room. He even said , "Its all about him getting paid"

Bodden was thrown at 90 times and allowed 45 catches which is a 50% success rate. He allowed 4 td's and had 5 int's. He was 10th on the percent allowed list. Bodden had 5 penalties against with 1 declined. He had 6 missed tackles. Bodden gave up a 59 qb rating.

More stats for Dunta

Robinson was targeted 82 times and allowed 54 catches for a 66% success rate. He allowed 3 td's but gathered 0 int's. He was 79th on the percent catch allowed list. Robinson had a total of 9 penalties with 1 declined. He had 10 missed tackles. Dunta gave up a 99 qb rating.

The Detriot Lions signed Leigh Bodden to a 4 year, 27 million dollar contract. Is Dunta 4 million a year better then Bodden? He sat out the entire 2009 training camp because he was franchised. Only one of 13 players last year not to resign. Guys who just want to get paid, they are not popular players in the locker room. HE even said , "Its all about him getting paid"

Ok now I see it. Because Robinson said "It's all about me getting paid" (which he later apologized for), he is a team cancer. Although we may want them to be, but do you honestly believe that a lot of athletes in any sport aren't concerned with getting paid? When it's time for your payday to arrive and you have put in work, shouldn't you get paid for your services comparable to what others are making?

Dunta was upset because after being drafted, saying all the right things, putting in work on and off the field, and being stuck with a new franchise with the likes of Andre Johnson, DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams and not much else, the team would rather franchise him than get him a respectable long term contract. Did he handle it properly? Absolutely not. But he apologized and has moved on to become a Falcon. We should as well.

Steve McNair

Brett Favre

Chad Pennington

Chad Hutchinson

JP Losman

Jake Delhomme

Aaron Rodgers

That fact that Dunta is making twice as much then Revis says more about his agent then it does the player. Stop with the hate...

Ok now I see it. Because Robinson said "It's all about me getting paid" (which he later apologized for), he is a team cancer. Although we may want them to be, but do you honestly believe that a lot of athletes in any sport aren't concerned with getting paid? When it's time for your payday to arrive and you have put in work, shouldn't you get paid for your services comparable to what others are making?

Dunta was upset because after being drafted, saying all the right things, putting in work on and off the field, and being stuck with a new franchise with the likes of Andre Johnson, DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams and not much else, the team would rather franchise him than get him a respectable long term contract. Did he handle it properly? Absolutely not. But he apologized and has moved on to become a Falcon. We should as well.

TROOF. :D

Bodden was thrown at 90 times and allowed 45 catches which is a 50% success rate. He allowed 4 td's and had 5 int's. He was 10th on the percent allowed list. Bodden had 5 penalties against with 1 declined. He had 6 missed tackles. Bodden gave up a 59 qb rating.

More stats for Dunta

Robinson was targeted 82 times and allowed 54 catches for a 66% success rate. He allowed 3 td's but gathered 0 int's. He was 79th on the percent catch allowed list. Robinson had a total of 9 penalties with 1 declined. He had 10 missed tackles. Dunta gave up a 99 qb rating.

Also, to add to it, Dunta had 9 passes deflected last season. Not good considering how much he was targeted.

Bodden had 18 PDs...Grimes had 13.

Also, I wouldnt call Robinson a team cancer...I have some negative thoughts on his play, but team cancer isnt one of them. The shoe incident was stupid...but he got fined, he apologized, and the team moved forward with it. The players like Dunta, there was no disharmony between them. Ive talked to a few of the Texan players and Ive never heard them mention anything about Dunta being a cancer. They like him.

Also, to add to it, Dunta had 9 passes deflected last season. Not good considering how much he was targeted.

Bodden had 18 PDs...Grimes had 13.

Thank you all for the stats. And I repeat... stats do not lie. Robinson underperformed last year and we could debate why that may be all night. But I will go on record to say that he will have a better year than Bodden and Grimes (Grimes mainly because he's getting his minutes!) and then you can say well we should have gotten Nnamdi or Revis!

Thank you all for the stats. And I repeat... stats do not lie. Robinson underperformed last year and we could debate why that may be all night. But I will go on record to say that he will have a better year than Bodden and Grimes (Grimes mainly because he's getting his minutes!) and then you can say well we should have gotten Nnamdi or Revis!

He better have a better year than Bodden and Grimes...with his contract, he should be having a top 5 year at CB. If Bodden and/or Grimes are playing at his level, then that would suck.