What to do in round 1

I personally think Pouncey would be a great pick in the first. I saw an interview with Gerald Mccoy the DT from Oklahoma and when asked who was the toughest offensive lineman he had ever gone up against he said a guard from Texas whose name I forget and then Maurice Pouncey from Florida. I think OL is something that is underrated and if we could get a solid center that would be there with Matt Ryan for the next 10 years I think we have to do that, not to mention the NO.1 DT on some peoples board said he was the toughest OLinemen he faced in his college career. Also it would be even better if we got Maurice Pouncey in the first and could get his brother a lot later in the draft cause those 2 know how to play together and could solidify the interior of the line in a year or so with Blalock, Baker, the Pouncey Twins and whoever our future RT(Hopefully Baker and we get someone to take over the left tackle) is in a year or so if clabo and dahl arent here but….

It would be hard to pass on Weatherspoon if he is there cause that would be a perfect chance for him to come in and learn from Mike Peterson this next year while he is still here. Spoon and Peterson have very similar playing styles as well and are both vocal leaders and Peterson is the type who is not selfish and stubborn and has said many times Mike Smith brought him here to help teach the younger players and be a vocal leader so it would be a perfect opportunity for him to come in and learn for a year.

Dunlap would be a great addition but I highly doubt TD would pick him just because from what I have seen so far is that he would rather take high character players from smaller schools who have that drive and work ethic and experience over tremendous athletes with character and work ethic concerns so I cant imagine he would pick dunlap. Last year TD did take risks with 2 injury prone players in Jerry and Moore and that bit him in the *** so I cant see him taking a risk like that again.

Also I guarantee he wont pick Sergio Kindle because he picks people that fit their scheme and Kindle doesn’t. Why would he use a first round pick on someone who didn’t even play linebacker last year.

As a wild card, I think that if we could convert Taylor Mays to an OLB he would be a perfect outside linebacker in this scheme because the OLBs play a lot of coverage and I know his coverage skills aren’t superb but they are better than any OLB in the draft and if you remember last year watching Mike Peterson get burnt several times deep when he had to cover TEs and RBs. The only issue would be if he has the strength to shed blockers and play the run which I doubt and like I said TD probably wouldnt spend a 1st round pick on a player he would have to try and develop/convert to a position he didnt play in college.

My choice for picks in the 1st go in this order;

1. Pouncey and then try and move up in the second and get TCU LB Darryl Washington

2.If not Pouncey then Weatherspoon, which Im torn cause i would almost rather see Weatherspoon over Pouncey

3. A DE to replace Abraham eventually, I personally think TD would go Brandon Graham(whose size is close to Abrahams) if he goes DE because he has a tremendous motor and work ethic and is a high character guy with tons of experience, I just dont see him being able to be a 3 down player right away and at first he would just be a situation pass rusher but that would be straight because Biermann and Davis can play on running downs and abraham and graham/sidburry playing in passing situations.

One of the problems Atlanta had was that the secondary couldnt cover long enough and the DE couldnt get to the QB fast enough but with the signing of Dunta Robinson and the emergence of Chris Owens the Falcons should be able to blitz more because the problem before was that they couldnt leave their secondary one on one with WRs which hopefully they could do more now and that would help to get more pressure to the QB and help out the DL by blitzing more.

PS I wouldnt mind seeing them get somebody like Riley Cooper in the 4th or 5th if he lasts that long cause he could be the next finneran for us in the years to come. He could possibly be a No.2 WR but for now he would be a perfect No.3 or 4 to complement HD who is our speed guy with his size and sure hands and would be like finneran where he does nothing but get first downs.

We also need to get a young TE here to come and learn from Tony G while we still have him to mentor a young guy, what do you guys think

appreciate the thorough post. Pouncey is just not bringing #19 value... I really feel that 19 is a great spot to land one **** of a football player. There are tons of scenarios and most are pretty dam good... I still like Graham or Spoon and the possibilities are pretty good that they are still there... Otherwise someone else is going to have to drop like Dan Williams, etc...

Now that we landed a stud CB I don't see how we can't go after a OLB with the top pick or go after a stud player for the much needed oline help. Since Nicholas looked horrible last year and Peterson's best is far behind him, I'd say we need two stud OLB in order to shore up the defense. The oline couldn't protect very well last year so I'd look for us landing one or two guys in that department as well. I still think we need another stud CB to take over for Houston since he hasn't played like a number one pick to date but we can do that in 2011 when there may be more available. We might get lucky and be able to land one this year in the middle rounds but he probably wouldn't be any better than the backups we have now, I'd rather wait and either sign another FA like Robinson next year or pick a great one with our first round pick in 2011.

1. Pouncey and then try and move up in the second and get TCU LB Darryl Washington

2.If not Pouncey then Weatherspoon, which Im torn cause i would almost rather see Weatherspoon over Pouncey

3. A DE to replace Abraham eventually, I personally think TD would go Brandon Graham(whose size is close to Abrahams) if he goes DE because he has a tremendous motor and work ethic and is a high character guy with tons of experience, I just dont see him being able to be a 3 down player right away and at first he would just be a situation pass rusher but that would be straight because Biermann and Davis can play on running downs and abraham and graham/sidburry playing in passing situations.

PS I wouldnt mind seeing them get somebody like Riley Cooper in the 4th or 5th if he lasts that long cause he could be the next finneran for us in the years to come. He could possibly be a No.2 WR but for now he would be a perfect No.3 or 4 to complement HD who is our speed guy with his size and sure hands and would be like finneran where he does nothing but get first downs.

We also need to get a young TE here to come and learn from Tony G while we still have him to mentor a young guy, what do you guys think

If you burn your first on Pouncey, two bad things happen. First you haven't received value at #19. Second, you've destroyed any chance of picking up a second because you'd have to trade away all your non-compensatory remaining picks to even have a shot. A much better scenario (if Pouncey is your gotta-have guy) is to try to trade down for him. He'll be there well past #19 and a trade down gives you a shot at a second rounder.

I like Cooper as a mid-to-late round guy and agree that he'd be a great big-frame possession guy for the future.

I also agree with picking up Gonzalez' replacement, but don't expect that a quality guy will be available in later rounds.

Now that we landed a stud CB I don't see how we can't go after a OLB with the top pick or go after a stud player for the much needed oline help. Since Nicholas looked horrible last year and Peterson's best is far behind him, I'd say we need two stud OLB in order to shore up the defense. The oline couldn't protect very well last year so I'd look for us landing one or two guys in that department as well. I still think we need another stud CB to take over for Houston since he hasn't played like a number one pick to date but we can do that in 2011 when there may be more available. We might get lucky and be able to land one this year in the middle rounds but he probably wouldn't be any better than the backups we have now, I'd rather wait and either sign another FA like Robinson next year or pick a great one with our first round pick in 2011.

My thought process is now that we got a stud CB i don't see how we can not go after a DE. TD wants to shore up our pass rush and secondary then that is how you do it. Secondary has had a big upgrade with Robinson. Time to do the same with Graham in the 1st.

My thought process is now that we got a stud CB i don't see how we can not go after a DE. TD wants to shore up our pass rush and secondary then that is how you do it. Secondary has had a big upgrade with Robinson. Time to do the same with Graham in the 1st.

I think they're hoping our current dline will improve with the addition at CB but I agree we need a replacement for Abe for sure not to mention a replacement for JA who we all know is a joke at this point. I'm all for picking anyone who will actually play great football for us, which we have missed on a few times with Houston and JA. We have plenty of holes to fill so all we can do is take what's available and use them WISELY. OLB is a must imo but I wouldn't be pissed if we went with DE, I just want us to nab a talented oline replacement along the way to help protect Ryan.

I personally think Pouncey would be a great pick in the first. I saw an interview with Gerald Mccoy the DT from Oklahoma and when asked who was the toughest offensive lineman he had ever gone up against he said a guard from Texas whose name I forget and then Maurice Pouncey from Florida. I think OL is something that is underrated and if we could get a solid center that would be there with Matt Ryan for the next 10 years I think we have to do that, not to mention the NO.1 DT on some peoples board said he was the toughest OLinemen he faced in his college career. Also it would be even better if we got Maurice Pouncey in the first and could get his brother a lot later in the draft cause those 2 know how to play together and could solidify the interior of the line in a year or so with Blalock, Baker, the Pouncey Twins and whoever our future RT(Hopefully Baker and we get someone to take over the left tackle) is in a year or so if clabo and dahl arent here but….

It would be hard to pass on Weatherspoon if he is there cause that would be a perfect chance for him to come in and learn from Mike Peterson this next year while he is still here. Spoon and Peterson have very similar playing styles as well and are both vocal leaders and Peterson is the type who is not selfish and stubborn and has said many times Mike Smith brought him here to help teach the younger players and be a vocal leader so it would be a perfect opportunity for him to come in and learn for a year.

Dunlap would be a great addition but I highly doubt TD would pick him just because from what I have seen so far is that he would rather take high character players from smaller schools who have that drive and work ethic and experience over tremendous athletes with character and work ethic concerns so I cant imagine he would pick dunlap. Last year TD did take risks with 2 injury prone players in Jerry and Moore and that bit him in the *** so I cant see him taking a risk like that again.

Also I guarantee he wont pick Sergio Kindle because he picks people that fit their scheme and Kindle doesn’t. Why would he use a first round pick on someone who didn’t even play linebacker last year.

As a wild card, I think that if we could convert Taylor Mays to an OLB he would be a perfect outside linebacker in this scheme because the OLBs play a lot of coverage and I know his coverage skills aren’t superb but they are better than any OLB in the draft and if you remember last year watching Mike Peterson get burnt several times deep when he had to cover TEs and RBs. The only issue would be if he has the strength to shed blockers and play the run which I doubt and like I said TD probably wouldnt spend a 1st round pick on a player he would have to try and develop/convert to a position he didnt play in college.

One of the problems Atlanta had was that the secondary couldnt cover long enough and the DE couldnt get to the QB fast enough but with the signing of Dunta Robinson and the emergence of Chris Owens the Falcons should be able to blitz more because the problem before was that they couldnt leave their secondary one on one with WRs which hopefully they could do more now and that would help to get more pressure to the QB and help out the DL by blitzing more.

Yeah im not necessarily for the whole lineman with the 1st round pick thing. 19 isnt a high pick but its high enough where alot of good players are still available. No offense to Pouncey and his talent but id rather spend the 1st pick on a CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best (if available) rather than a lineman.

Yeah im not necessarily for the whole lineman with the 1st round pick thing. 19 isnt a high pick but its high enough where alot of good players are still available. No offense to Pouncey and his talent but id rather spend the 1st pick on a CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best (if available) rather than a lineman.

I dont see how you could want Best with your 19th pick, he couldnt stay healthy in college and has already had concussion issues but I do like spiller I just feel like you can get great value with running backs in late rounds like we did with Norwood(at first) and Snelling but I agree we do need a running back for the future but what changed my opinion was the fact that Mccoy said Pouncey was the most dominant offensive lineman he had played against but I am kinda leaning toward weatherspoon just cause our linebacking core is pretty weak whereas i think our O-Line is good enough and I really like our D-Line if everyone can stay healthy and continue to progress