"Pay me Rick" - Falcon's future lockerroom cancer? He's here for 6 years...

Mr. Right

"It's just a reminder that this is what we're here for," Robinson said. "It's to get paid."

dunta-robinson-shoes.jpg

Out of the 14 NFL players that were franchised in 2009, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson was the only one who chose not to sign a long term deal or sign his franchise tender in time to make camp. Reportedly, he turned down $23 million dollars in guaranteed money last February, which would have put him in the top three of NFL corners in guaranteed dollars. He sat out all of camp and preseason, then signed his tender a week before the first game, just in time to get his first paycheck -- $585,705 of the almost $10 million he will receive for 2009.

Fans were displeased to learn that during the Texans ugly loss to the Jets in the home opener, Robinson was wearing shoes that read, "Pay me Rick." The "Rick" in question is Houston general manager Rick Smith.

As a result, the Texans have fined Robinson $25,000 for conduct detrimental to the team.

"I got here today, and it was in my locker," Robinson said about the official letter notifying him of the fine. "I knew it was coming. I talked to Rick (on Monday), and he said he was going to fine me, so there's nothing to be surprised about.

"It was over a long time ago. I've moved on. Me and Rick don't have a problem. I'm focused on Tennessee (this Sunday)."

Smith didn't like the message Robinson was sending.

"When he reported to sign his contract, I explained to him how important it was that he not let his contract status become a distraction," Smith said. "He assured me he would do that.

"That's not the message we want to send. I explained that to him Monday. I let him know that clearly he didn't get the message when we talked the week before, and we were not pleased with it, and we were going to fine him and that we expected that his behavior be more reflective of our team philosophy and what we believe in."

When asked about the shoes after the game, Robinson laughed and said it was to remind him of why he was playing: "to get paid." Fans weren't terribly amused with this act. He admittedly struggled in his first game due to his lack of preparation, and is already getting paid more bank than most people will see in a lifetime.

The inevitable fan-media hubbub ensued, and Robinson eventually made the common modern non-apology, apologizing to "people (he) offended." He explains that the shoes were a joke from months ago, and wearing them last Sunday was a locker room gag. He believes that had the Texans won, fans would have thought they were funny:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/15/dunta-robinson-kinda-apologizes-for-pay-me-rick-shoes/

Out of touch much? Personally, I think it demonstrates incredibly poor judgment to see any athlete crying about being paid when they turned down enormous guaranteed money, and are still receiving gigantic guaranteed money. I guess he doesn't remember what it is like to struggle to pay bills. The video shows he doesn't get it.

When asked about the shoes, Gary Kubiak said in his press conference that he didn't see them but that he was disappointed, that the matter is being handled in-house and that they need to move on and prepare for getting destroyed playing by the Titans next week on the road.

Edited by Mr. Right

Normally, Mr. Right is full of ****, but this is a legitimate concern. I've said since jump street that Robinson had some minor issues that could cost him a spot on the Falcons, looks like they weren't big enough to concern TD, but they are there and more than fair. I know most of you are going to give Mr. Right a negative, and typically he deserves it, not this time. So don't do it, fellas, just don't. Besides, it's what he wants anyway.

I can't in good conscience change my point of view just because we did sign him. Sure, I automatically want to defend him now, just like I did with guys like Hall, but this kind of behavior is a slight worry to me.

"It's just a reminder that this is what we're here for," Robinson said. "It's to get paid."

dunta-robinson-shoes.jpg

Out of the 14 NFL players that were franchised in 2009, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson was the only one who chose not to sign a long term deal or sign his franchise tender in time to make camp. Reportedly, he turned down $23 million dollars in guaranteed money last February, which would have put him in the top three of NFL corners in guaranteed dollars. He sat out all of camp and preseason, then signed his tender a week before the first game, just in time to get his first paycheck -- $585,705 of the almost $10 million he will receive for 2009.

Fans were displeased to learn that during the Texans ugly loss to the Jets in the home opener, Robinson was wearing shoes that read, "Pay me Rick." The "Rick" in question is Houston general manager Rick Smith.

As a result, the Texans have fined Robinson $25,000 for conduct detrimental to the team.

"I got here today, and it was in my locker," Robinson said about the official letter notifying him of the fine. "I knew it was coming. I talked to Rick (on Monday), and he said he was going to fine me, so there's nothing to be surprised about.

"It was over a long time ago. I've moved on. Me and Rick don't have a problem. I'm focused on Tennessee (this Sunday)."

Smith didn't like the message Robinson was sending.

"When he reported to sign his contract, I explained to him how important it was that he not let his contract status become a distraction," Smith said. "He assured me he would do that.

"That's not the message we want to send. I explained that to him Monday. I let him know that clearly he didn't get the message when we talked the week before, and we were not pleased with it, and we were going to fine him and that we expected that his behavior be more reflective of our team philosophy and what we believe in."

When asked about the shoes after the game, Robinson laughed and said it was to remind him of why he was playing: "to get paid." Fans weren't terribly amused with this act. He admittedly struggled in his first game due to his lack of preparation, and is already getting paid more bank than most people will see in a lifetime.

The inevitable fan-media hubbub ensued, and Robinson eventually made the common modern non-apology, apologizing to "people (he) offended." He explains that the shoes were a joke from months ago, and wearing them last Sunday was a locker room gag. He believes that had the Texans won, fans would have thought they were funny:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/15/dunta-robinson-kinda-apologizes-for-pay-me-rick-shoes/

Out of touch much? Personally, I think it demonstrates incredibly poor judgment to see any athlete crying about being paid when they turned down enormous guaranteed money, and are still receiving gigantic guaranteed money. I guess he doesn't remember what it is like to struggle to pay bills. The video shows he doesn't get it.

When asked about the shoes, Gary Kubiak said in his press conference that he didn't see them but that he was disappointed, that the matter is being handled in-house and that they need to move on and prepare for getting destroyed playing by the Titans next week on the road.

Before this "episode" when did we ever hear a peep from Dunta? Hall ALWAYS ran his mouth. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. It was a one deal thing, its not like he wore the shoes the entire season.

So he made noise about wanting to get paid, and now that we've paid him he's going to...make more noise about wanting to get paid?

The issue here isn't him wanting to get paid. Every athlete wants money. The problem is him taking that to the next level and putting "Pay Me Rick" on his shoes. If Robinson just held out, that's one thing, but brandishing "Pay Me Rick" during a televised game is a different story. That is what someone like TO, Chad Johnson, or DeAngelo Hall would do.

The issue here isn't him wanting to get paid. Every athlete wants money. The problem is him taking that to the next level and putting "Pay Me Rick" on his shoes. If Robinson just held out, that's one thing, but brandishing "Pay Me Rick" during a televised game is a different story. That is what someone like TO, Chad Johnson, or DeAngelo Hall would do.

I guess Roddy White is a cancer because of his "Free Mike Vick" shirt that was shown to the world on MNF. Thats worse then saying pay me rick on the bottom of his cleats.

I guess Roddy White is a cancer because of his "Free Mike Vick" shirt that was shown to the world on MNF. Thats worse then saying pay me rick on the bottom of his cleats.

It was stupid, though. But it was a show of support for a friend, not something possibly detrimental to the team.

Times 2

Typically, I don't even read them but this is a legitimate thread. I know none of you want to hear it, especially from someone who is typically trolling around, but it's an article that concerns me and should, at least a little, concern you. Especially at the price.

But I am happy to have him because I think overall, it's gonna be fine, but anyone that's concerned has some good reasons to be.

It was stupid, though. But it was a show of support for a friend, not something possibly detrimental to the team.

You could say the same about Robinson. He was looking out for himself and his family, he wanted a long term deal from the HOU FO that he didnt get. And showing your support for a friend who was found guilty is worse on a team overall. Im sure there were players (like Brooking,Milloy,Abe,etc...) that just wanted to move on from the whole fiasco but this showed that some on the team didnt want to. Robinson only effected himself, he didnt sit out during the games, or take plays off (that we know of)

You could say the same about Robinson. He was looking out for himself and his family, he wanted a long term deal from the HOU FO that he didnt get. And showing your support for a friend who was found guilty is worse on a team overall. Im sure there were players (like Brooking,Milloy,Abe,etc...) that just wanted to move on from the whole fiasco but this showed that some on the team didnt want to. Robinson only effected himself, he didnt sit out during the games, or take plays off (that we know of)

Hmm. No. Robinson affected his team by missing all of camp and OTA's. Roddy missed 7 days of camp, not all of it.

That is true but it effects himself more then anyone else, Roddy missing practice and such messes up more for the team because hes on offense. As a CB you kind of are on your own

C'mon man, you know better. On defense if you don't know the scheme or haven't practiced, you give up plays, which hurts who? Your team.

It's interesting how you say you want this franchise to bring in championship quality players yet when we do you still find something negative to say. Dunta Robinson is no D-Hall 21 who was not only a egomaniac but, a locker room cancer as well. He will shore up a sorely needed position and TD will pursue other needed pieces to complete "The Process". I guess when we win the Super Bowl this year you will complain how long it took <_< .