Walterfootball on the Dunta signing

monoxid3

2010 Free Agency: Bad moves

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010recap.php

Falcons sign CB Dunta Robinson: 6 years, $57 million; $25.5 million guaranteed

Dunta Robinson is now the second-richest corner in the NFL - only behind Nnamdi Asomugha. Wow.

There's no questioning Robinson's talent. He's a legit No. 1 corner in this league. But I think the Falcons may have overlooked his injury history. Robinson has missed 13 games the past three seasons and is only two years removed from a nasty knee injury. So while he fills a big need on Atlanta's roster, Robinson is a big risk at $27 million guaranteed.

Edited by monoxid3

Dunta Robinson is now the second-richest corner in the NFL - only behind Nnamdi Asomugha. Wow.

There's no questioning Robinson's talent. He's a legit No. 1 corner in this league. But I think the Falcons may have overlooked his injury history. Robinson has missed 13 games the past three seasons and is only two years removed from a nasty knee injury. So while he fills a big need on Atlanta's roster, Robinson is a big risk at $27 million guaranteed.

:blink:

Well we did make him the 2nd highest paid CB in the NFL even though he's never been to the pro-bowl and is 2 years removed from a serious injury.

At the right price he'd have been a great signing, but its pretty obvious that we heavily overpaid.

I'm sure TD and Smitty remembered to have his knee checked before they signed him to that deal. I don't know, but those two don't strike me as being idiots. :rolleyes:

Yeah - seems sort of silly to suggest that they would "overlook" that or whatever. I'm sure they did their homework on the guy and feel like he's over the injury or they wouldn't have signed him.

He's done nothing since 2004 to deserve the money. In fact, he's done nothing since 2004. I dont understand why Robinson was signed to this ridiculous contract.

This contract will look sane in five years.

So, you a Falcons fan the last couple of years? You are? Then what missteps has TD made to make you not trust his judgement?

Pretty sure we gave him 22.5 guaranteed[/b].... thats how you do it... give a link buddy I would give you as many neg points, because its in other threads that he got 22.5 too

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816c4dc6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://walterfootbal...ts2010recap.php

Walter Football is just another run of the mill, candy-*** mock draft site... nothing more, nothing less. Point is, we have solved a serious problem and are moving forward......without looking back...

I'm not saying ANYTHING until I see the man play in a Falcons uni.

^^ This ^^

It's the only way we'll know for sure whether he is worth his contract. I believe that TD and Smitty know exactly what we're getting in Robinson though, otherwise, we would've never brought him in. On whether he's healthy or not from his ACL injury, look at Kampman...we weren't even in the bidding war for him, so obviously our FO has thought this out from every angle.

He is a big risk. If the contract is front-loaded, like we think, there's a chance he'll be whinning

about money in a few years. Also a strike in 2011 could hurt, as that would in theory be one of his

bargain price seasons.

Going into 2010 with Grimes, Williams, Houston and Owens as potential starters was a big risk as well

No risk..... no reward!

I know..... that's pretty risky of me to say that.

you know if this keeps up, we're going to have to buy a seperate bench for all the guys with jacked up knees. douglas, jerry, trey lewis, and robinson. you would think after having 3 guys already with disintegrated knees, our FO would be a bit more cautious.

that said, even if robinson misses 3-4 games from getting dinged up here and there, it's an improvement for most of the games we play as far as the secondary goes. it's certainly a lot of money, but it's not my money so oh well.

i'm glad we did address one of our two big problems in FA though, instead of taking calculated gambles on both DE and CB in the draft and hoping they will both work out. hopefully robinson stays healthy and we improve our pass rush via the draft. if we do that and douglas, turner, and jerry have fully recovered and stay healthy, we should be a top 4 team in the NFC this coming year.