Dunta's contract

falcon_bob

I think it's a good move. The fact that we pursued him for two years shows how much TD and company like his talent.

Is there an insider in the business that even comes close to Adam Schefter? It's a BIG drop off from him to everyone else. NFL Network was crazy to let him walk.

Not bad at all. Remember that we're not looking for a franchise player here. We're filling a hole, and in the NFL, when you build through the draft and fill holes in free agency, you are successful in a sustained, long-term manner.

Did we "overpay?" Depends on how bad we needed a corner. I don't think we did. We have 2 good, young DEs, we have a young stud DT and an experienced but still young veteran DT, and we really only need 1 or 2 pieces at linebacker (maybe one starter and one young guy for depth and to groom behind Peterson). We have Chris Owens who looks like the truth, a veteran in Williams who may or may not return to form, but will at least help develop the others, and we still have Hill, Grimes, Houston and Jackson for depth. One or two of those guys get cut, but that's still a pretty deep group considering all of those guys have started at least 1 NFL game. We have a very young safety prospect and a relatively solid safety corps, and DeCoud looks like a contributor for years to come.

We can fix our remaining issues in the draft, and frankly, this defense should see serious improvement through this one move. It allows us to mix and match the corners and go man up more often, which should improve the pass rush since we can either drop safeties and LBs into coverage on pass plays or blitz them. We will probably draft DE or LB in the 1st round, and I'm not sure we're done in FA (though I don't expect any real splashes). I like the move. The contract doesn't bother me at all. We will continue to build through the draft and I like where we are heading.

Not bad at all. Remember that we're not looking for a franchise player here. We're filling a hole, and in the NFL, when you build through the draft and fill holes in free agency, you are successful in a sustained, long-term manner.

Did we "overpay?" Depends on how bad we needed a corner. I don't think we did. We have 2 good, young DEs, we have a young stud DT and an experienced but still young veteran DT, and we really only need 1 or 2 pieces at linebacker (maybe one starter and one young guy for depth and to groom behind Peterson). We have Chris Owens who looks like the truth, a veteran in Williams who may or may not return to form, but will at least help develop the others, and we still have Hill, Grimes, Houston and Jackson for depth. One or two of those guys get cut, but that's still a pretty deep group considering all of those guys have started at least 1 NFL game. We have a very young safety prospect and a relatively solid safety corps, and DeCoud looks like a contributor for years to come.

We can fix our remaining issues in the draft, and frankly, this defense should see serious improvement through this one move. It allows us to mix and match the corners and go man up more often, which should improve the pass rush since we can either drop safeties and LBs into coverage on pass plays or blitz them. We will probably draft DE or LB in the 1st round, and I'm not sure we're done in FA (though I don't expect any real splashes). I like the move. The contract doesn't bother me at all. We will continue to build through the draft and I like where we are heading.

Great post. Agree 100% +1!

For $9.5m a season he'd better be a "franchsie player". He needs to play at a pro-bowl level year after year to be worth that contract, otherwise we overpaid.

We have 10 starters (12 if you include Koenan and Grimes) due to be UFA's over the next 2 years, and a number of good backups. I just hope that this contract doesn't stop us from retaining the ones that we want, especially guys like Decoud, Lofton, Biermann.

For $9.5m a season he'd better be a "franchsie player". He needs to play at a pro-bowl level year after year to be worth that contract, otherwise we overpaid.

We have 10 starters (12 if you include Koenan and Grimes) due to be UFA's over the next 2 years, and a number of good backups. I just hope that this contract doesn't stop us from retaining the ones that we want, especially guys like Decoud, Lofton, Biermann.

agree it is the guaranteed money that is important not all the other stuff. I actually agree with the other poster that said it is not our money, and TD anc CO seem to very good with managing the cap, so basically who cares how much we paid him.

lol so we got 23.5 mil guaranteed, 25.5 mil guaranteed and 27 mil guaranteed. schefter's probably right but i'm waiting for the falcons to come out and say what they paid the guy before i take anyone's word on this one.

i'm surprised we paid him 10 mil a year though.

Actually it's more around 9.5 mil/year. Also I wonder how much of that was a signing bonus. Also at 9.5 mil/year, the guaranteed money is probably around 27 mil for the 1st 3 years.

agree it is the guaranteed money that is important not all the other stuff. I actually agree with the other poster that said it is not our money, and TD anc CO seem to very good with managing the cap, so basically who cares how much we paid him.

We should all care, becasue it has a direct effect on our ability to sing new player as and keep our best young players in the future. If we have can't afford to resign some of our best young players in 2 years time becasue of a lack of cap room, then people will care.

We should all care, becasue it has a direct effect on our ability to sing new player as and keep our best young players in the future. If we have can't afford to resign some of our best young players in 2 years time becasue of a lack of cap room, then people will care.

Maybe thats a sign that Jamaal Anderson will be dumped

What other players do we need to sign. Again dude you seriously need to realize that this is not the same regime that you are used too. We have been able to resign all of our players, Jenkins, Davis, BAbs, White, so WTF are you talking about. TD and McKay have done a good job managing the cap even with the Vick situation. Let them do what they do best man, sometimes we are so used to something that we dont realize that things have changed and I think you are in the mindset man. YOu worry about something that hasnt even happened yet and probably wont happen with our TD and Company.

If you really believe this FO would jeopardize the continuity of our team in the future for one player, you haven't been paying attention the last couple years. I wholeheartedly trust this was the right move and we are set for the future.

Whats funny is the guy blew out his knee and hamstring 2 years ago and is finally getting back to form. He really started to trust his leg in the 2nd half of the season and they were playing lights out because of that on D..Trust me..He will be a good pickup..

Edited by supremedarius

Maybe thats a sign that Jamaal Anderson will be dumped

True.

We can save some money when Anderosn goes (though his cap hit this year is a modest $2.5m). You have to think that Abraham ($8.53m this year) and Tony G ($7m this year) will probably be gone within the next 2 years.

However, with 10+ starters and several good backups due to be UFA (includign 4 of our starting OL, all of our starting LBs and most of or DB's), this team is going to have a lot of contracts to renew over the next 2 years, or a lot of work to do to repalce them all if we don't. In the next 2 years we have to re-sign or repalce

Dahl

Claybo

McClure

Blalock

Gonzalez

HD

Norwood

Abraham

Biermann

Lofton

Nicholas

Peterson

Grimes

Coleman

Decoud

Koenan

+ other lesser players like Houston, Weems, Jackson, Snelling

TD obviouly thinks we can absorb this contract and keep this young team together. I just hope he's right, because I'd hate to see us get it wrong and lose some of the best young talent that we've assembled.

I agree although im not sure what he's going to be for the team but his issue in houston was not getting payed enough well he sure as **** is getting payed enough now. Maybe now that his belly is full he'll Step up. We cant say anything about him till he plays in that Beautiful Red/black/white jersey. Im all for him we needed an upgrade at db and i think we got it

True.

We can save some money when Anderosn goes (though his cap hit this year is a modest $2.5m). You have to think that Abraham ($8.53m this year) and Tony G ($7m this year) will probably be gone within the next 2 years.

However, with 10+ starters and several good backups due to be UFA (includign 4 of our starting OL, all of our starting LBs and most of or DB's), this team is going to have a lot of contracts to renew over the next 2 years, or a lot of work to do to repalce them all if we don't. In the next 2 years we have to re-sign or repalce

Dahl

Claybo

McClure

Blalock

Gonzalez

HD

Norwood

Abraham

Biermann

Lofton

Nicholas

Peterson

Grimes

Coleman

Decoud

Koenan

+ other lesser players like Houston, Weems, Jackson, Snelling

It is called drafting and developing talent, we do have a draft coming up where we can choose like 7 - 8 players and we draft again in 2011 where we can choose another 7-8 players.

Dahl - Resign

Clabo - Resign

McClure - Retire

Blalock - Resign

Gonzalez - Retire

HD - Resign

Norwood - Walk

Abraham - Resign/Walk

Biermann - Resign

Lofton - Resign

Nicholas - Resign

Peterson - Walk/Retire

Grimes - Resign

Coleman - Resign/Walk

Decoud - Resign

Koenan - Resign

The majority of these players will not be signed for astronomical numbers..We have plenty of cap space

Edited by supremedarius