The Mock Draft You Never Saw Comming

I'm going with the trade down scenario I mentioned in another thread here: .

KC gets #19 and our 6th round pick (they don't have a 6th or 7th, so this gives them one late pick.)

ATL gets #34, #50, and DT Glen Dorsey.

We're counting on 3 comp picks. I'm giving us a 3rd, 4th, and 6th. Our final picks are:

#34 (early 2nd)

#50 (mid 2nd)

#83 (mid 3rd)

#100 (late 3rd comp)

#119 (mid 4th)

#135 (late 4th comp)

#159 (mid 5th)

#209 (late 6th comp)

#34 Mike Iupati – OG – Idaho 6-5, 325

Arrg. We trade away our first round pick, then take a guard with our top pick. Talk about anti-climatic. As I said on my thread “Why a guard in the 1st round makes sense” here: , this move allows us to upgrade across the entire o-line. Blalock moves to RT (natural position, upgrade), Clabo slides in to RG (natural position, upgrade), and Iupati plugs in at LG (upgrade).

The reason I have Iupati here is that guards (even the best ones) rarely go in the 1st round. There was some speculation that Iupati could play tackle in the pros, but he showed at the senior bowl he was a pure guard, so he slides to the 2nd.

#50 Amari Spievey – CB – Iowa 6-0, 191 4.47/40

What! We settled on CB spot with Robinson, but Williams is a one year fill in at the other spot. What will we do after 2010? It's my understanding the Falcons have a 1st round grade on this guy. Will that pass on him in the late 2nd? I don't think so. Spievey will have a year to learn the position behind Williams and then step in as a starter in 2011. Spievey gives us that big, physical CB we need against New Orleans, and we'll be set at the CB position for 5 years.

#83 Taylor Price – WR – Ohio 6-0, 200, 4.35.40

Price is a guy with good hands and a lot of upside. Can contribute immediately returning kicks. Should develop into a solid #2 receiver.

#100 Dennis Pitta – TE – BYU 6-4, 245, 4.6/40

Eventual replacement for Gonzo. Soft hands good route runner. Needs to improve blocking. This review made me think he is a TD guy: “One of the hardest workers on the team which translates into a 'blood and guts' attitude on the field. “ I had this guy lower, but he had the best combine of any TE, so he has moved up in the draft.

#119 Patrick Angerer – LB – Iowa 6-0, 233, 4.7/40

Has played all 3 LB spots. Emotional leader of the Iowa defense. High motor, high character guy. Sound overall tackler. Will scratch, claw, bite or do whatever it takes to get ball carriers off their feet. Three down linebacker. From the game tapes people were prediciting Angerer would be one of the fastest LB at the combine. Instead he runs a 4.7/40. What does that tell me, that while he may not have clock speed, he has game speed. I'm guessing the Falcons go with game speed. When you look at Angerer he has Dimitroff guy written all over him, which is why I'm going with him over Edds.

#135 Joique Bell – RB – Wayne St. 5-11, 223, 4.5/40

Opened a lot of eyes at senior bowl. Played RB, WR, and QB in college. Not only a great option as a wildcat QB, but is one of the better receiving backs in the draft. Bell is one of those guys like Turner, a mid round pick that could end up being one of the best players drafted at his position. We saw what happened when Turner went down last year. RB is a position we need more depth at.

#159 Linval Joseph – DT – ECU 6-5, 298

The Falcons were paper thin at DT last year (we were signing guys off the street to START at one point in the season). Despite getting Jerry back picking up Dorsey in a trade, we can still afford to add some depth at DT. Jospeh is a penetrating 4-4 DT. He will drop a little, because won't fit every defensive scheme. He needs to be in one line the Falcons.

#209 Mike McLaughlin – ILB/LS – Boston College 6-0, 240

Truth is we don't have much depth at ILB. McLaughlin gives us depth here. He can make the team as a long snapper. Plus this quote tells me he is a Dimitroff kind of guy: “Vocal leader in the huddle. 2009: Is voted defensive captain by teammates. 2008: Is voted defensive captain by teammates.”

haaa doubt it not addressing the needs of a OLB or DE early will not cut it. I understand not taking a DE early because we already have 2 that we are grooming but not taking one at all is ridiculous. Especially since we traded for Glen Dorsey that pave the way for Anderson getting cut. OLB needs to be addressed and I dont see us drafting a CB when we could find one in the 3rd around the same talent level

agreed.

we just signed our starting corner and we have 3 solid options for the other starter at CB. we just tendered dahl and clabo so we won't be selecting an OG with our first selection. it seems like you just threw a lot of names in there that fit positions we would take.

And you can't say Thomas Johnson didn't produce this year, he opened my eyes up pretty nicely, I think with babs jerry dorsey walker and johnson we'll be fine for DT depth