Priority Needs - OLB, OL (Long Read)

Personal opinion here, but I don't see the need at DE when TD has stated that Jerry's injury killed our pass rush.

"He was really coming along well," Dimitroff said of Atlanta's first-round pick. "He was going to help create some pass rush up the middle. Obviously, he was going to free something up on the outside." Jerry is over six months removed from the injury. He should be near 100 percent by the start of camp."

If he comes back normal with Babs then we have two DTs that can penetrate and help the pass rush from the inside. As far as our current DE standing, I saw JA55 drop into coverage much more than I ever remember this season, which hurt his numbers. I realize that he is not getting younger, but I believe he's going to be around for the remaining two years of his contract.

Then we have Davis locked for 3 more years, Sidbury for 3 more years, Bierman for 2 more years, and JA98 for 2 more years with a voidable 3rd year.

At DT, you have Vance, Lewis, and Johnson for depth and rotation. Trey is in his last year, so dump him next year if you really think all the young blood DE are epic failures and draft a 1st round DE in 2011. I'm pretty sure that we're good at DE for the present, especially with PJ back. TD obviously thinks so as well. We have the depth to carry us another season if they don't. Not the case with LB.

While I agree that we could use another developing WR, I think it can't be a priority. We can run a decent 3WR 1TE set right now with White, Jenks, Douglas, and Gonzales out there. Weems looked decent in limited work, Finn is old yet money on 3rd down, and Booker as a 6th reserve is decent filler. I think a 4-5 round TE and 4-5 round WR would be a good developmental project as a long term goal. Rader is 28, Peelle is 30, and Zinger is 25 but a blocker.

In my humble opinion, and it is just my opinion, we should be getting an OLB and OL with the 1st and 3rd. Preferably in that order, but a flip for a good OL with the first would be ok. I think it's the two spots on our team needing the most help.

LB is one of our stronger postions at first glance, but if you look at the entire picture you'll see that we don't have any depth at starting roles:

SLB: Stephen Nicholas is in the 4th and last year of his rookie contract (Don't think many folks realize that.) He looked decent in his first year starting. Coy Wire is a great ST player, but he is also in the last year of his contract.

MLB: We're set here. Lofton is developing into a great 3 down LB, but is only locked up for two more years. Adkins is here for 3 more and looks promising.

WLB: God bless Mike Peterson, but he is 33 and in the last year of his two year deal. I like him for that last year, but then it will most likely be moving along time in the youth movement. Robert James is his backup, and all I can say is bleh. Nothing seen, nothing proven, noting certain.

Our offensive line is consistent and promising, but there could be trouble on the horizon. We really need depth as well, especially on the interior unless we want some reserve/future contract rookies to be our saviors. (Jose Valdez, Blake Schlueter, Rob Bruggeman)

C: need to start grooming for McClure who will be 35 in two years when his contract is up. Romberg is 30 right now.

OG: Blalock is in the 4th and last year of his rookie contract. (Don't think many folks realize that.) Dahl is 29 and may be asking for a ton of $ if/when he finally hits UFA, as it is his one chance for a big payday. No real depth behind them.

OT: Baker is solid and signed for 3 more years, Clabo is 28 and may be asking for a ton of $ if/when he finally hits UFA, as it is his one chance for a big payday. Reynolds and Svitek are decent depth, but we could do better.

That all being said, I'd be thrilled with this:

NOT COUNTING COMP PICKS, but we're most likely getting 3. (Foxy: 3rd or 4th, Boley: 4th or 5th, Grady/Brooking: 6th or 7th)

1-#19) Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri 6'1" 241lb - Safest pick, and fills a need at LB.

3-#83) John Jerry OG Ole Miss 6'6" 328lb - Perry's Brother and solid player, may not be here. Climbing.

4) Eric Decker WR Minnesota WR 6'3" 217lb - Was projected 2nd rounder prior to injury. Projected 3-5 due to it.

5) Colin Peek TE Alabama 6'5" 254lb - Can do it all, good blocker and reciever. Projected 5-6

6) Leigh Tiffin K Alabama 6’0” 198lb – Let’s get a young kicker for once, this guy is a touchback machine. Koenen can go back to focusing on punts.

Booker is no longer on the team, and did nothing last year. Jenkins is not a no. 2, and might charitably be described as a mediocre no. 3 who blocks well. HD is a good slot receiver(hopefully) who is almost completely unproven and coming off injury.

Weems showed nothing. Finneran has shown nothing in years and will retire season and is made of glass.

1. We have a decent wr set. Why not make it a great one(you know, like the sets trotted out by the Saints, or the Pats when they were good, or the Colts, or the S. Diego Chargers? all times that are better than us largely due to their offensive efficiency). To win in this league, you now have to have a great passing attack. To do this, you need 2 good starters, and a good slot, and another backup who can step in and play well if one of your starters or slot goes down.

As proven by the last couple years, we have 1 good starter, and 1 good slot(again, hopefully, based mostly on limited production), and gaping holes at no. 2 wr and a quality backup to step in if someone goes down and at least not be horrible(M.Jenkins could take over this role if we could get a legitimate starter to push him down the Depth Chart).

Drafting a WR high could make us a much better offense.

Booker is no longer on the team, and did nothing last year. Jenkins is not a no. 2, and might charitably be described as a mediocre no. 3 who blocks well. HD is a good slot receiver(hopefully) who is almost completely unproven and coming off injury.

Weems showed nothing. Finneran has shown nothing in years and will retire season and is made of glass.

1. We have a decent wr set. Why not make it a great one(you know, like the sets trotted out by the Saints, or the Pats when they were good, or the Colts, or the S. Diego Chargers? all times that are better than us largely due to their offensive efficiency). To win in this league, you now have to have a great passing attack. To do this, you need 2 good starters, and a good slot, and another backup who can step in and play well if one of your starters or slot goes down.

As proven by the last couple years, we have 1 good starter, and 1 good slot(again, hopefully, based mostly on limited production), and gaping holes at no. 2 wr and a quality backup to step in if someone goes down and at least not be horrible(M.Jenkins could take over this role if we could get a legitimate starter to push him down the Depth Chart).

Great post and 100% correct. I don't get why people are in denial about Jenkins. Douglas is coming off a knee so don't expect a ton this year. Finneren is one hit away from being out of the league. We need a starter AND depth at WR.

I really believe we will take either a OL or a DE with our first. Simply because the chances of getting a really good LB is much higher in the latter rds. And much less at the OL and DE positions. Just common sense.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would prefer to take an OT with our first pick. Baker is fine and I like him a lot, but his frequent injuries put Matt Ryan at grave risk. I want to draft a LT and move Baker to RT. Baker's draft write ups overwhelmingly cited him as a perfect RT prospect.

While Baker has done a good job at LT, I believe that his natural position is RT. Baker's high effort and dedication is not questioned. In my opinion, he is stretching his physical abilities to the limit to do his job at LT. I think that he will excel at RT and quite possibly remain more healthy in his new position.

I just don’t see the Atlanta falcons going DE when they have 3 young ones already who all have shown us some glimpses of becoming decent. (Bierman, Sidbury, and Davis) Davis is the old guy at 27; the other two have a combined 3 years of experience. I think we’re going to let them at least have a chance instead of panicking early and getting a 4th young DE and the 3rd in 3 seasons. Could I be wrong? Yep, it’s been known to happen.

Eric Weems had 6 receptions in very limited work, 2 were for touchdowns.

When people say it takes a year for an ACL injury player to come back to full strength, it is usually correct. The one good thing about Harry Douglas getting hurt was that it was in training camp. August 5th 2009 means that he will be past a year already when the season starts back up. And if you were watching in 2008, he showed the potential for brilliance.

It seems all the folks that think we need an early WR base it mainly on the thought that Jenkins is a crappy #2. I don't get it. Does he drop balls sometimes? Yes. Is he decent? Yes. Does TD seem to think he's a decent #2? Yes, as evidenced by his contract extension. Do I trust TD? Yes. Thus, following the logical path leads me to say he's a decent #2.

Would I love to have two #1 WR? Yes. Is having two #1 WRs a luxury? Yes. Is that a good pick when we have all our holes filled in future drafts? YES! Is that something we should do when we have holes in other positions? NO!

Our receivers last year were Roddy White, Michael Jenkins. Tony Gonzales was our 3rd receiving option most of the time. I notice that without Harry Douglas, we either usually either ran 2 WR set or a 5 WR set. There wasn’t much of 3WR set out there this season, which I think hurt us. With our 3WR 1TE set, I think we are deadly.

ATL #1 White: 85 receptions, 1153 yards, 11 touchdowns

ATL #2 Jenkins: 50 receptions, 635 yards, 1 touchdown

ATL #3 Gonzales: 83 receptions, 867 yards, 6 touchdowns.

So, let's look at the stats of the other teams WRs that were posted above by Mr Pickle and agreed with by pr0d1gy. The Chargers, The Colts, and the Saints.

The San Diego Chargers recievers are Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd.

SD #1 Jackson: 68 receptions, 1167 yards, 9 touchdowns

SD #2 Floyd: 45 receptions, 776 yards, 1 touchdown

I hardly see how they are great, and we are only decent. Slightly better on yards.

The Indianapolis Colts receivers are Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon. Austin Collie is their slot receiver.

ID #1 Wayne: 100 receptions, 1264 yards, 10 touchdowns

ID #2 Pierre Garcon: 47 receptions, 765 yards, 4 touchdowns

ID #3 Austin Collie: 60 receptions, 676 yards, 7 touchdowns- Think this will be Harry next season, with a few less TDs.

I hardly see how they are great, and we are only decent. Slightly better on yards.

The New Orleans Saints receivers are a little different, but their starters are Marques Colston and Devery Henderson. Their 3rd receiver is Robert Meachem.

NO #1 Colston: 70 receptions, 1074 yards, 9 touchdowns

NO #2 Henderson: 51 receptions, 804 yards, 2 touchdowns

NO #3 Meachem: 45 receptions, 722 yards, 9 touchdowns - Think this will be Harry next season, with a few less TDs.

So when you compare #2 recievers to say Jenkins sucks, doing apples to apples, I just don’t see it.

The most common argument I see against drafting someone like Weatherspoon in the 1st is that we can get another productive OLB later in the draft, but the same can be said about just about any other position. Another argument I've seen is that defensive end is a position that can only produce productive players in the first rounds and thus we have to get Graham. John Abraham and Jared Allen: Abraham was taken in the 1st round and Allen in the 4th round in their respective drafts yet both are extremely productive. Also, look at Jamaal Anderson and Kroy Biermann: Anderson was taken in the 1st and Biermann in the 5th yet I we've seen who has made an impact and who hasn't.

Though Brandon Graham is a great prospect, we just don't have an imperative need for him. We already have two young defensive ends in Biermann and Sidbury to develop. Adding another one comes off as overkill and just flat out unnecessary. Meanwhile, there are positions of need such as linebacker, receiver, and offensive line that can be addressed with the best available prospects in the 1st round.

Great post and 100% correct. I don't get why people are in denial about Jenkins. Douglas is coming off a knee so don't expect a ton this year. Finneren is one hit away from being out of the league. We need a starter AND depth at WR.

The reason why I don't think we take a WR early in the draft this year is because TD has chosen this squad. He extended Roddy (thankfully), extended Jenkins, drafted Douglas, and kept Finneran around for another year. I don't know if TD is prideful, but drafting a WR early this year would be him admitting that he made a mistake.

Neither of the outside linebackers were chosen by him as long term solutions, and only Baker was chosen by him on the OL, so taking OLB or OL early in the draft would allow him to keep face, especially if by some miracle Jenkins had a good year.

If Jenkins has an off year, they take one early in the draft next year.

That being said, I hope they get a WR for depth late in the draft this year.

thats not entirely true, i mean look at the ravens and how far they got with there recievers??? we HAD far better talent then they did, and where the same kinda team, u got to remember where a run nfirst team, no need to bring in HIGH profile recievers in a run first team, thats y boldon is where he is, cause the cards want to RUN the football

Ok people need to calm down about the whole Peria Jerry deal. Yes losing him was a big loss on our pass rush, but with him coming back its not going to give us 10 more sacks. And then throw in there that he had knee surgery to work on now. So just because he will be back doesn't mean our pass rush problems will be solved.

Ok people need to calm down about the whole Peria Jerry deal. Yes losing him was a big loss on our pass rush, but with him coming back its not going to give us 10 more sacks. And then throw in there that he had knee surgery to work on now. So just because he will be back doesn't mean our pass rush problems will be solved.

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if we go DT again to give a healthy rotation of 3 stud DTs (Imagine Babs/Jerry/Price). Anderson and Lewis need to be cut/traded imo this off-season. TBH, the only true LDE in the first round are Morgan and Dunlap. Morgan will more than likely be gone by our pick. I like Dunlap but the board doesn't and he may not be a TD type of player. That's why I don't think we'll go DE with our first pick. Instead, I think we go either OLB, DT, WR or OL.

So you don't think we need a DE more than a OLB or an OL? Interesting , very interesting.

We might need a good DE more than a good WLB or a good offensive lineman, but that doesn't mean there will be one for us to draft. We can't just draft DE because it is a need (that is how we ended up with JA98 after all). I know that isn't what you are suggesting, but just because we draft a WLB early doesn't mean we don't need a DE. It most likely means there just isn't one we like.

Personal opinion here, but I don't see the need at DE when TD has stated that Jerry's injury killed our pass rush.

"He was really coming along well," Dimitroff said of Atlanta's first-round pick. "He was going to help create some pass rush up the middle. Obviously, he was going to free something up on the outside." Jerry is over six months removed from the injury. He should be near 100 percent by the start of camp."

If he comes back normal with Babs then we have two DTs that can penetrate and help the pass rush from the inside. As far as our current DE standing, I saw JA55 drop into coverage much more than I ever remember this season, which hurt his numbers. I realize that he is not getting younger, but I believe he's going to be around for the remaining two years of his contract.

Then we have Davis locked for 3 more years, Sidbury for 3 more years, Bierman for 2 more years, and JA98 for 2 more years with a voidable 3rd year.

At DT, you have Vance, Lewis, and Johnson for depth and rotation. Trey is in his last year, so dump him next year if you really think all the young blood DE are epic failures and draft a 1st round DE in 2011. I'm pretty sure that we're good at DE for the present, especially with PJ back. TD obviously thinks so as well. We have the depth to carry us another season if they don't. Not the case with LB.

While I agree that we could use another developing WR, I think it can't be a priority. We can run a decent 3WR 1TE set right now with White, Jenks, Douglas, and Gonzales out there. Weems looked decent in limited work, Finn is old yet money on 3rd down, and Booker as a 6th reserve is decent filler. I think a 4-5 round TE and 4-5 round WR would be a good developmental project as a long term goal. Rader is 28, Peelle is 30, and Zinger is 25 but a blocker.

In my humble opinion, and it is just my opinion, we should be getting an OLB and OL with the 1st and 3rd. Preferably in that order, but a flip for a good OL with the first would be ok. I think it's the two spots on our team needing the most help.

LB is one of our stronger postions at first glance, but if you look at the entire picture you'll see that we don't have any depth at starting roles:

SLB: Stephen Nicholas is in the 4th and last year of his rookie contract (Don't think many folks realize that.) He looked decent in his first year starting. Coy Wire is a great ST player, but he is also in the last year of his contract.

MLB: We're set here. Lofton is developing into a great 3 down LB, but is only locked up for two more years. Adkins is here for 3 more and looks promising.

WLB: God bless Mike Peterson, but he is 33 and in the last year of his two year deal. I like him for that last year, but then it will most likely be moving along time in the youth movement. Robert James is his backup, and all I can say is bleh. Nothing seen, nothing proven, noting certain.

Our offensive line is consistent and promising, but there could be trouble on the horizon. We really need depth as well, especially on the interior unless we want some reserve/future contract rookies to be our saviors. (Jose Valdez, Blake Schlueter, Rob Bruggeman)

C: need to start grooming for McClure who will be 35 in two years when his contract is up. Romberg is 30 right now.

OG: Blalock is in the 4th and last year of his rookie contract. (Don't think many folks realize that.) Dahl is 29 and may be asking for a ton of $ if/when he finally hits UFA, as it is his one chance for a big payday. No real depth behind them.

OT: Baker is solid and signed for 3 more years, Clabo is 28 and may be asking for a ton of $ if/when he finally hits UFA, as it is his one chance for a big payday. Reynolds and Svitek are decent depth, but we could do better.

That all being said, I'd be thrilled with this:

NOT COUNTING COMP PICKS, but we're most likely getting 3. (Foxy: 3rd or 4th, Boley: 4th or 5th, Grady/Brooking: 6th or 7th)

1-#19) Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri 6'1" 241lb - Safest pick, and fills a need at LB.

3-#83) John Jerry OG Ole Miss 6'6" 328lb - Perry's Brother and solid player, may not be here. Climbing.

4) Eric Decker WR Minnesota WR 6'3" 217lb - Was projected 2nd rounder prior to injury. Projected 3-5 due to it.

5) Colin Peek TE Alabama 6'5" 254lb - Can do it all, good blocker and reciever. Projected 5-6

6) Leigh Tiffin K Alabama 6’0” 198lb – Let’s get a young kicker for once, this guy is a touchback machine. Koenen can go back to focusing on punts.

I think your 1st sentence could be a flaw in your thinking. Do you really trust anything that TD, or any GM, says right now about their team? I do think your mock is pretty good though.

I really believe we will take either a OL or a DE with our first. Simply because the chances of getting a really good LB is much higher in the latter rds. And much less at the OL and DE positions. Just common sense.

That's poor drafting philosophy. With your 1st you need an impact player. Clearly OL and LB are our biggest needs. Sean Spoon' is a better prospect at the position than Brian Cushing. A complete impact player. No one at DE left will be an impact player instantly. OL does have Trent Williams and Mike Itpati both I love but both might be gone. I do not see us drafting a DE. We must draft an OL in the 3rd as well as a TE. WR in the 4th or 5th. That's my take, draft an impact player in the 1st round.

I just don’t see the Atlanta falcons going DE when they have 3 young ones already who all have shown us some glimpses of becoming decent. (Bierman, Sidbury, and Davis) Davis is the old guy at 27; the other two have a combined 3 years of experience. I think we’re going to let them at least have a chance instead of panicking early and getting a 4th young DE and the 3rd in 3 seasons. Could I be wrong? Yep, it’s been known to happen.

Eric Weems had 6 receptions in very limited work, 2 were for touchdowns.

When people say it takes a year for an ACL injury player to come back to full strength, it is usually correct. The one good thing about Harry Douglas getting hurt was that it was in training camp. August 5th 2009 means that he will be past a year already when the season starts back up. And if you were watching in 2008, he showed the potential for brilliance.

It seems all the folks that think we need an early WR base it mainly on the thought that Jenkins is a crappy #2. I don't get it. Does he drop balls sometimes? Yes. Is he decent? Yes. Does TD seem to think he's a decent #2? Yes, as evidenced by his contract extension. Do I trust TD? Yes. Thus, following the logical path leads me to say he's a decent #2.

Would I love to have two #1 WR? Yes. Is having two #1 WRs a luxury? Yes. Is that a good pick when we have all our holes filled in future drafts? YES! Is that something we should do when we have holes in other positions? NO!

Our receivers last year were Roddy White, Michael Jenkins. Tony Gonzales was our 3rd receiving option most of the time. I notice that without Harry Douglas, we either usually either ran 2 WR set or a 5 WR set. There wasn’t much of 3WR set out there this season, which I think hurt us. With our 3WR 1TE set, I think we are deadly.

ATL #3 Gonzales: 83 receptions, 867 yards, 6 touchdowns.

So, let's look at the stats of the other teams WRs that were posted above by Mr Pickle and agreed with by pr0d1gy. The Chargers, The Colts, and the Saints.

The San Diego Chargers recievers are Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd.

SD #1 Jackson: 68 receptions, 1167 yards, 9 touchdowns

SD #2 Floyd: 45 receptions, 776 yards, 1 touchdown

The Indianapolis Colts receivers are Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon. Austin Collie is their slot receiver.

ID #1 Wayne: 100 receptions, 1264 yards, 10 touchdowns

ID #2 Pierre Garcon: 47 receptions, 765 yards, 4 touchdowns

ID #3 Austin Collie: 60 receptions, 676 yards, 7 touchdowns- Think this will be Harry next season, with a few less TDs.

The New Orleans Saints receivers are a little different, but their starters are Marques Colston and Devery Henderson. Their 3rd receiver is Robert Meachem.

NO #1 Colston: 70 receptions, 1074 yards, 9 touchdowns

NO #2 Henderson: 51 receptions, 804 yards, 2 touchdowns

NO #3 Meachem: 45 receptions, 722 yards, 9 touchdowns - Think this will be Harry next season, with a few less TDs.

So when you compare #2 recievers to say Jenkins sucks, doing apples to apples, I just don’t see it.

You put a ton of time into this, and I appreciate that. However, no amount of stats can disprove what almost every fan agrees with: Jenkins stinks. Could we in any way trade him for Pierre Garcon, Meachem, Floyd? No. THe other gm's and fans would laugh at that idea.

What do my eyes and game tape tell me about Jenkins? That he only makes routine plays, and too often drops routine catches, that he's useless as a jump ball threat and in the redzone, that he doesn't score td's, that he is only effective on certain limited routes, and that he doesn't run after the catch, and that he doesn't have a big catching radius. He routinely gets single covered by the no. 2 cb of the opposing team. He gets a LOT of opportunites because other teams scheme to take away White and Gonzalez, and yet comes up with completely avg/slightly below avg yardage totals and 1 Td catch, and almost no impact plays.

My eyes and game tape tell me that Floyd/Garcon(actually a no. 3, filling in for Anthony Gonzalez, and a much younger player than Jenkins)/Meachem and Henderson(the 2 AND 3 for NO) are playmakers. They aren't nearly as limited in what they can do, they have big catching radii, they make plays with the ball in their hands, they SCORE TD's. When called upon, they don't wilt.

Looking at stats tells me that Kroy Biermann produces as well or better than most teams no. 2 De's. and ditto for Mike Peterson, and that B. Grimes is one of the better cb's in the league.

I'm not asking for a no. 1 beside Roddy, I'm asking for a playmaking no. 2, like other teams have. Someone who can score td's and make big plays WHEN SINGLE COVERED. Someone who is very reliable. Until we get that guy(and especially once T. Gonzales retires), this will NOT be an elite offense.

Our GM and coach drafted W. Moore, P. Jerry, Sidburry, Biermann, Adkins, and signed Petersen, so presumably they like them, and want them to continue to develop and play well. Why not give them a chance to?

we need to stop thinking that weatherspoon is a safe pick. hes a great pick. especially for an attacking scheme that we are. his merit is his speed and tackling ability. i am pretty sure lofton and weatherspoon will compliment each other. lofton is a superb run stuffer, and weatherspoon is a great side to side pursuit with great angle. he fits our style of defense

That's poor drafting philosophy. With your 1st you need an impact player. Clearly OL and LB are our biggest needs. Sean Spoon' is a better prospect at the position than Brian Cushing. A complete impact player. No one at DE left will be an impact player instantly. OL does have Trent Williams and Mike Itpati both I love but both might be gone. I do not see us drafting a DE. We must draft an OL in the 3rd as well as a TE. WR in the 4th or 5th. That's my take, draft an impact player in the 1st round.

The reason why I have this philosophy is because I have watched all the Combines and looked at who will be available and have a little bit of the understanding of how deep each position is. And it has always been my stand to take a position of need first , that has less depth of talent in latter rds. If that's not a wise thing to do , I don't know what would be. Now , I don't think we should take just anybody because of this philosophy. If there is a higher rated OL when we pick, I'd go that route and look for a 3rd rd DE.

The reason why I have this philosophy is because I have watched all the Combines and looked at who will be available and have a little bit of the understanding of how deep each position is. And it has always been my stand to take a position of need first , that has less depth of talent in latter rds. If that's not a wise thing to do , I don't know what would be. Now , I don't think we should take just anybody because of this philosophy. If there is a higher rated OL when we pick, I'd go that route and look for a 3rd rd DE.

The Falcons could pick up Greg Hardy in the 4th or 5th and get a productive DE. He has the first step and motor that Graham has and you know how Dimitroff loves going after productive players that have fallen down the ladder due to injury issues, and we get the added bonus (pending on your view of it) in that his stock has fallen more due to his inability to control his weight during his injury recovery. He is potentially the steal of the draft, not a lesser OLB.

The Falcons could pick up Greg Hardy in the 4th or 5th and get a productive DE. He has the first step and motor that Graham has and you know how Dimitroff loves going after productive players that have fallen down the ladder due to injury issues, and we get the added bonus (pending on your view of it) in that his stock has fallen more due to his inability to control his weight during his injury recovery. He is potentially the steal of the draft, not a lesser OLB.

I don't understand how people are still in love with Greg Hardy, I really don't. Does he have to amputate his foot and admit that he has hated playing football all along?

Here are the facts:

He is very injury prone

He has a questionable attitude

He has an inconsistent motor and work ethic

He showed up to the combine overweight

He ran poorly at the combine because he was overweight

What else does he have to do to get you guys to realize that he just isn't that good? His stock has been dropping like a 50 lb anvil pushed off the side of the Empire State building, yet everyone just keeps talking about how he will be a steal.

It started off being "I'd be fine with Hardy in the 1st round." Then it became "We should trade down and grab Hardy in the late 1st/early 2nd, it would be great value." Then it became "If he falls to the 3rd round we have to take him, he'd be great value." Now that he showed up to the combine and impressed no one it has become "Let's get him in the 4th or 5th round and get the steal of the draft, he'd be a great value."

At what point will you guys take the blinders off and realize his stock continues to fall not because he is an amazing athlete, not because he had great production and not because he projects to be an impact DE in the NFL, but because of all the negatives he has put on full display that I mentioned earlier in this post?

I have been saying that I don't want Hardy in the 3rd for a long time now, and that certainly isn't going to change as his stock continues to fall. And I still refuse to believe he is on our radar in the first 3 rounds, and maybe the first 4 rounds.

I just don't get it.