1st pick is a win win

hawkeye

The only thing is if we get Spoon, then we still won't have that #1 LDE b/c I know we won't grab another project

DE in the 3rd. That's just too many project DE's. Spoon is good but you still need that pressure up front. Then

the question becomes do you take a Griffen if Graham is not there b/c you can still get a good OLB in the 3rd

or even the 2nd(Washington) if we can get back there. Which I think is what TD will try to do. So after re-thinking this I think the better pick is still DE b/c it gives you a chance to try and package up a deal with

JA98 and Houston and a 4th rd pick to get back in the 2nd. That way you get your DE, OLB, OT and so on.

1) OT

3a) DT

next 3 picks (thirds and 4ths)...OLB, WR, and RB or TE

We address the offense early with a strong OT, and kick Clabo inside. We address the pass rush with another interior penetrator, knowing that's what interrupts the QB more than anything else. We then hit the LB and offensive skill positions with the 3rd and 4th rounders.

I wouldn't be at all against a DE in the 1st, but also wouldn't be surprised if they decide that Jerry coming back, paired with say Atkins in the 3rd, with better secondary play gets us there. We let the DEs develop and see what we need to get next year. We pick up solid prospects for LB, WR, and TE while the talent is still good, in the 3rd and 4th.

If we go DE, I hope it's

DE

OT

LB

WR

TE

I really like Darryl Washington he would be a perfect fit for our defense.I now don't mind the Weatherspoon route either as CB has been addressed I think even OT is something we should have a good look at aswell at 19.I'll be keeping an eye on alot of mocks around the media to see where they think we'll go at 19.

The only thing is if we get Spoon, then we still won't have that #1 LDE b/c I know we won't grab another project

DE in the 3rd. That's just too many project DE's. Spoon is good but you still need that pressure up front. Then

the question becomes do you take a Griffen if Graham is not there b/c you can still get a good OLB in the 3rd

or even the 2nd(Washington) if we can get back there. Which I think is what TD will try to do. So after re-thinking this I think the better pick is still DE b/c it gives you a chance to try and package up a deal with

JA98 and Houston and a 4th rd pick to get back in the 2nd. That way you get your DE, OLB, OT and so on.

I'am with ya man.

Hang on Hawkeye, there are more than just two winning scenarios.

This is one of the best draft fields I have seen. The 2010 draft is exceptionally deep in DE's and CB's. It is also deep in UT's and TE's. It has better than average depth at LB and RB. In addition to all of that, this draft offers a more than usual number of starting OT's (but there is a big drop after the first group).

The main point is that signing a very good veteran CB opened this draft up for TD and Co. After the Robinson signing, TD will be able to survey the prospects and place them in tiers. He will not have to reach to cover his needs. He can now be a value shopper while conducting a need-bsed draft.

This might turn out to be TD's best draft. Perhaps, the draft that will be remembered for years to come.

As far as picking a player that would be the safest pick, I would say that would be OL. There will be some very good ones to choose from. If Dunlap from Fla didn't have so much baggage , I would be for him but with that I wouldn't even consider drafting him. I think people look down on Graham because he is only 6.1 but he is very compact and very strong , He's like trying to stop a 268 lb bowling ball with a quick twitch!

Bottom line is If we don't take an OL wish I wouldn't mind seeing , I'm hoping for the Dwight Freny clone.

As far as picking a player that would be the safest pick, I would say that would be OL. There will be some very good ones to choose from. If Dunlap from Fla didn't have so much baggage , I would be for him but with that I wouldn't even consider drafting him. I think people look down on Graham because he is only 6.1 but he is very compact and very strong , He's like trying to stop a 268 lb bowling ball with a quick twitch!

Bottom line is If we don't take an OL wish I wouldn't mind seeing , I'm hoping for the Dwight Freny clone.

If we pick Graham, I would not balk. However, I don't think that he can be compared to Freeney. Dwight's greatest asset is his lightening quick twitch. He simply accelerates past OT's hips. Graham does not have that kind of speed. He has phenomenal work ethic and is relentless, but he is not Freeney quick.

I liken Graham to a former Falcon DE who was very successful: Chuck Smith. Both were "country strong", shorter DE's with indominable spirits.

If we stay put, I would guess that we will draft Graham or an OT. One of the top guys will be available.

If we pick Graham, I would not balk. However, I don't think that he can be compared to Freeney. Dwight's greatest asset is his lightening quick twitch. He simply accelerates past OT's hips. Graham does not have that kind of speed. He has phenomenal work ethic and is relentless, but he is not Freeney quick.

I liken Graham to a former Falcon DE who was very successful: Chuck Smith. Both were "country strong", shorter DE's with indominable spirits.

If we stay put, I would guess that we will draft Graham or an OT. One of the top guys will be available.

Graham is not quick off the line. Quite a few of his sacks were not due to his jump off the line or his ability to immediately beat his blocker(s). It was a determination and questionably skilled QB's holding the ball too long. Graham is a lunchpail guy. He's going to give 110% effort and be a great locker room guy, but he's not going to be an every down DE to build around.

I think the best we could get by trading JA98 Houston and a 4th round pick would be a 5th round pick :lol:

your missing the point, remember SMITTY said we want to be an attacking DEFENSE, well wat all does a LB do??? lets see.. he rushes, he covers, he does everthing that u can do on the field, y do u think they do the drills to see if a LB can blitz? because thats just as important when u MAN your corners up, pass game he has to now be in coverage and make plays, somethin a d-line wont be ask to do very often, so its obvious a LB is a more need because of the impact it can have on a defense, take patrick willis off the 49ers and see how bad they will play

your missing the point, remember SMITTY said we want to be an attacking DEFENSE, well wat all does a LB do??? lets see.. he rushes, he covers, he does everthing that u can do on the field, y do u think they do the drills to see if a LB can blitz? because thats just as important when u MAN your corners up, pass game he has to now be in coverage and make plays, somethin a d-line wont be ask to do very often, so its obvious a LB is a more need because of the impact it can have on a defense, take patrick willis off the 49ers and see how bad they will play

I don't think that there is argument over the need for a fast, attacking WLB. The only real question is whether Weatherspoon is the only WLB, in this draft, that can do the job at a high level. My amateur answer is NO.

Think that Watson, Butler and Washington are another three LB's that can play, in our system, as well as Weatherspoon. There is another player that I feel confident can do the job as well. His name is Kam Chancellor. I normally don't advocate for any player to switch positions, but Chancellor is an exception. He was asked to play many positions at V Tech, including LB. He never complained and he always performed well. There may be others, but that is the extent of my draft prospect knowledge.

We can draft Weatherspoon in the first round and we will have a good WLB for years to come. But, we can get the same production from another LB taken later in the draft.

I don't think that there is argument over the need for a fast, attacking WLB. The only real question is whether Weatherspoon is the only WLB, in this draft, that can do the job at a high level. My amateur answer is NO.

Think that Watson, Butler and Washington are another three LB's that can play, in our system, as well as Weatherspoon. There is another player that I feel confident can do the job as well. His name is Kam Chancellor. I normally don't advocate for any player to switch positions, but Chancellor is an exception. He was asked to play many positions at V Tech, including LB. He never complained and he always performed well. There may be others, but that is the extent of my draft prospect knowledge.

We can draft Weatherspoon in the first round and we will have a good WLB for years to come. But, we can get the same production from another LB taken later in the draft.

Yep. Especially Washington and Butler.

If this were the case they would be projected higher. Weatherspoon has the potential to be a star LB. Why pass on that for somebody who could be average? Spoon showed why he is so highly touted at the Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day. He hasn't disappointed. And no other WLB was as productive as he was in his career at Mizzou. Why pass on that?

If that was the case, Jerry's return will help a 3rd round DE look just as good as Graham. If I got Spoon and a 3rd LE than our defense would be good. The rookie LE isn't going to take Biermann's spot anyway so why take one in the first? Spoon can take Peterson's spot by the 6-7th game.

Disagree , He has the Quick twitch , that's the biggest reason I do like him so much.

Graham is not quick off the line. Quite a few of his sacks were not due to his jump off the line or his ability to immediately beat his blocker(s). It was a determination and questionably skilled QB's holding the ball too long. Graham is a lunchpail guy. He's going to give 110% effort and be a great locker room guy, but he's not going to be an every down DE to build around.

Not quick off the line???? Ah.. Have to disagree with that statement. That's the very reason why he is so good.And most full time DEs don't play every down anyway. I think he is going to be a great player. But I will say this , I can see why we may not take him. But I'll bet TD would love to have him. TD may know this would be a great draft to take an OL. I do think we will take either the best OL or DE available.

This might turn out to be TD's best draft. Perhaps, the draft that will be remembered for years to come.

Better than Ryan, Baker , Lofton, Douglas, Biermann , DeCoud and Jackson? That was a pretty good draft.

Jerry , Moore , Owens, Atkins, Reynolds ,Sidbury and Walker may rival it in a couple of years.

One more draft like that and they'll be a solid formidable team.

Think first pick will be an Olineman myself- if not, that means they think a lot of Reynolds.

Better than Ryan, Baker , Lofton, Douglas, Biermann , DeCoud and Jackson? That was a pretty good draft.

Jerry , Moore , Owens, Atkins, Reynolds ,Sidbury and Walker may rival it in a couple of years.

One more draft like that and they'll be a solid formidable team.

Think first pick will be an Olineman myself- if not, that means they think a lot of Reynolds.

With the signing of Robinson, this draft is set up to be stellar. To me, draft grades must take into account where the team picks in each round. TD could pick five prospects that will earn starting roles in two years. That is extraordinary for the #19 th slot and a missing second rounder.

Brandon Graham, Michigan - Scouting Report

Height: 6-1. Weight: 268.

Projected 40 Time: 4.72.

Combine 40 Time: 4.69.

Benchx225: 31. Vertical: .

Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.

3/2/10: Despite bulking up to 268 pounds, Brandon Graham ran an impressive 4.69 at the Combine. He also posted 31 reps of 225. It'll be very difficult for the Falcons to pass on him at No. 19.

1/22/10: Brandon Graham finished his senior campaign with an amazing 25 TFL and 9.5 sacks.

11/14/09: A projected solid right end or 3-4 linebacker in the NFL, Brandon Graham has 17 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2009.

5/18/09: Brandon Graham finished the 2008 season with 20 TFL and 10 sacks.

11/16/08: It should be interesting to see if Ben Graham can run a 4.6 at the combine. If he does, he'll definitely turn some heads. Through nine games, Graham has 15.5 TFL and nine sacks.

Maybe Houston should of used this advice last draft...

They could of had Larry English in the first, and then picked a LB who could match Cushings production in the 3rd :rolleyes:

Essentially, this is what you are saying...

Weatherspoon is a better prospect than Cushing. Much better...