Robinson will bolster Atlanta's defense

atljbo

Robinson will bolster Atlanta's defense

By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN's John Clayton is reporting the Falcons and cornerback Dunta Robinon have agreed to terms on a six-year deal. They’re going to put the finishing touches on the contract language over the next few hours, but this is basically done.

We’ve known this was coming most of the day and it comes soon after the Falcons prevented Brian Williams from becoming a free agent by giving him a contract extension. Suddenly, the Atlanta secondary looks a lot better than it did at the end of last season.

But what’s it going to look like on opening day?

Well, Robinson’s got the big contract, so pencil him in as the No. 1 cornerback. Take Williams, Chris Houston, Christopher Owens, Brent Grimes and Chevis Jackson and throw them into competition throughout camp and see who steps up. The Falcons were happy with the play of safety Thomas DeCoud in his first year as a starter last season, but not exactly thrilled with the play of veteran safety Erik Coleman. They’ve got William Moore, who missed his rookie season with an injury, ready to step into Coleman’s spot.

One other key point, the Robinson signing means the Falcons now can turn their attention to the front seven in the upcoming draft. They’ve got needs at defensive end and outside linebacker and could fill those needs with their first few picks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope they are right....

on 1 hand we have a proven Elite D End , a guy with what we have thats gonna give ya 12 + Sacks at the very least.

and a Corner that had 0 ints in 09

~shakes head~

yea i can see why everyone thinks this was a great move for us :blink:

on 1 hand we have a proven Elite D End , a guy with what we have thats gonna give ya 12 + Sacks at the very least.

~shakes head~

so, would you have signed Peppers for 13mil a year?

and, don't you think the CB position just got a serious upgrade?

Where is our big need at WR?

OL I will agree with , but WR?

Hello, I'm M. Jenkins! My interests include dropping absolutely critical balls at critical times, inability to create separation against no. 2 cb's in single coverage, not being a threat to RAC, and absolutely being a non factor in the redzone.

I also, despite being 6'5'', absolutely cannot catch jump balls. I don't even try. And I have a catching radius smaller than that of Steve Smith(either). Although the Falcons are forced to play me as a starter, because they HAVE NO ONE ELSE, I am actually a no. 4 wr in every single way, except my blocking. I block like a mofo!!!

Hello, I'm Harry Douglas!!! I am quick and fast, but also the same size as your avg. High School sophomore. I also just blew out my knee last year, but it's totally cool, because with my vast production(23 catches, 320 yards) and experience(O starts, 1 year playing), I'm a sure thing to come back and be a big time contributor. Hells yeah! Some smarter people have said that I'm really just a good slot wr...but what do they know?

Hello, I'm Brian Finneran!! I used to be an NFL player, but now I just spend time supervising all the other old guys in the IR and towel room. I'm slow, my knees are like tissue paper, and I'm going to retire soon. In no way can I be counted on, even to stay healthy through training camp.

All joking aside, we've got a legit 1 in Roddy, a solid slot receiver who is mostly hopeful projection, and a no.4 masquerading as a no. 2 who makes almost no impact that a basic street free agent couldn't make. The rest of the guys are either super old(Finn), no longer on this team (Booker), or purely ST guys(Weems), or training camp material(pretty much everyone else connected to the falcons who plays wr).

We have a massive, gaping hole at no.2 wr, and we have a hole in terms of depth. Who would be effective in the slot if HD goes down again? No one on the roster. Who could take over and give us decent production as a starter if White or Jenkins goes down(lol, anyone could give us Jenkins impact, but you know what I mean). No one. We have no depth, and no one opposite White.

As opposed to DE, where we have both Depth and a good starter in Abe, and an avg. starter in Ch. Davis or Bierman.

At WLB? Peterson is miles better at his job than M. Jenkins is at his. And we even have a promising youngster behind him with elite physical tools that M. Smith has said is progressing and has a good chance to earn some playing time (Spencer Adkins). Contrast that with Wr. What promising youngster do we have that can step in and be that physical playmaker in the middle of the field and after the catch to compliment R. White? No one. H. Douglas is a waterbug slot wr who isn't built to take hits, Finn is ancient and fragile and not a playmaker, and there is no one else.

so, would you have signed Peppers for 13mil a year?

in a new york sec.

and, don't you think the CB position just got a serious upgrade?

Probably

but.

we could have signed Peppers and got a Corner who actually had an INT in 09 for alotttttttttttttttttt cheaper.

and been alottttttttt Better as a Defense .

in a new york sec.

Probably

but.

we could have signed Peppers and got a Corner who actually had an INT in 09 for alotttttttttttttttttt cheaper.

and been alottttttttt Better as a Defense .

Stats arent everything my friend, RObinson tore his ACL in 2007/08 it takes two years to recover wich he did in the 08/09 season once the season starts Dunta will be at 100%, and he also wanted out of Houston, and theres no guarantee peppers would come in here and have 12-15 sacks, Robinson is a huge upgrade for this secondary gives us a veteran on the secondary who is still young with playmaking abilities, great signing in my opinion, and 13mil for peppers is too much, dude just wanted money, ill pass and glad we did

Hello, I'm M. Jenkins! My interests include dropping absolutely critical balls at critical times, inability to create separation against no. 2 cb's in single coverage, not being a threat to RAC, and absolutely being a non factor in the redzone.

I also, despite being 6'5'', absolutely cannot catch jump balls. I don't even try. And I have a catching radius smaller than that of Steve Smith(either). Although the Falcons are forced to play me as a starter, because they HAVE NO ONE ELSE, I am actually a no. 4 wr in every single way, except my blocking. I block like a mofo!!!

Hello, I'm Harry Douglas!!! I am quick and fast, but also the same size as your avg. High School sophomore. I also just blew out my knee last year, but it's totally cool, because with my vast production(23 catches, 320 yards) and experience(O starts, 1 year playing), I'm a sure thing to come back and be a big time contributor. Hells yeah! Some smarter people have said that I'm really just a good slot wr...but what do they know?

Hello, I'm Brian Finneran!! I used to be an NFL player, but now I just spend time supervising all the other old guys in the IR and towel room. I'm slow, my knees are like tissue paper, and I'm going to retire soon. In no way can I be counted on, even to stay healthy through training camp.

All joking aside, we've got a legit 1 in Roddy, a solid slot receiver who is mostly hopeful projection, and a no.4 masquerading as a no. 2 who makes almost no impact that a basic street free agent couldn't make. The rest of the guys are either super old(Finn), no longer on this team (Booker), or purely ST guys(Weems), or training camp material(pretty much everyone else connected to the falcons who plays wr).

We have a massive, gaping hole at no.2 wr, and we have a hole in terms of depth. Who would be effective in the slot if HD goes down again? No one on the roster. Who could take over and give us decent production as a starter if White or Jenkins goes down(lol, anyone could give us Jenkins impact, but you know what I mean). No one. We have no depth, and no one opposite White.

As opposed to DE, where we have both Depth and a good starter in Abe, and an avg. starter in Ch. Davis or Bierman.

At WLB? Peterson is miles better at his job than M. Jenkins is at his. And we even have a promising youngster behind him with elite physical tools that M. Smith has said is progressing and has a good chance to earn some playing time (Spencer Adkins). Contrast that with Wr. What promising youngster do we have that can step in and be that physical playmaker in the middle of the field and after the catch to compliment R. White? No one. H. Douglas is a waterbug slot wr who isn't built to take hits, Finn is ancient and fragile and not a playmaker, and there is no one else.

Thank you.

Finally some people are seeing that WR's for the Falcons are very very thin and really have nobody outside of Roddy. And even if Douglas does come back strong he is a slot guy and not a wideout. Too bad the recievers in this draft are not loaded at the top. It would probably be a risk to take any of the guys at no. 19. A 2nd round pick would be really nice, but the Falcons don't have one to use.

Chris Houston Had a INT in 09!...And you are saying he is better then Dunta Robinson because he had zero!

i am saying we could line betty white and elmer fudd up at Corner on 3rd down and still get off the field with the pass rush we could get from a healthy

Pep Babs Jerry and Abe

thats what i am saying

thats what i am knowing

i am saying we could line betty white and elmer fudd up at Corner on 3rd down and still get off the field with the pass rush we could get from a healthy

Pep Babs Jerry and Abe

thats what i am saying

thats what i am knowing

13 mil for a player who only is intrested in money, no thank you, if he actually wanted to play and win he would of signed with philly new england or us, but the two teams that he considered most were the ones that were gonna pay him more, polayers who only want money nvr pan out after they get it look at haynsworth, peppers is gonna sit back and relax knowing he doesnt have to try since he is getting 40mil in three years whikle the bears wont have more than 5-6 wins each those seasons and us we will be in the playoffs with Robinson

~shakes head~

Believe me I am on the get another Dend band wagon as well.

if I had to choose I would have chosen peppers as well.

But there is still Kampman out there, Grant is going to be cut by the saints.

And there are a couple of mid tier guys who could do well given a chance.

This IS a good move for us. While not ALL of the issues were the corners fault.... a big part was. Robinson adds more athleticism to an already athletic secondary.

It really depends on how much he is paid as to how good of a deal it is for the falcons.

at least all the talk about drafting a cb will stop...that means no haden, no robinson, no parrish, or anyone else that is in the draft...we are deep at that position...not great, but deep with young players and this means that our d is going to be a force in the very near future as the process is taking shape...its worth the wait to me

13 mil for a player who only is intrested in money, no thank you, if he actually wanted to play and win he would of signed with philly new england or us, but the two teams that he considered most were the ones that were gonna pay him more, polayers who only want money nvr pan out after they get it look at haynsworth, peppers is gonna sit back and relax knowing he doesnt have to try since he is getting 40mil in three years whikle the bears wont have more than 5-6 wins each those seasons and us we will be in the playoffs with Robinson

I Hope you are right, but IMO unless we upgrade our pass rush and do it quick, we wont be in the playoffs man.

we have to get a pass rush from our front 4 or our Cover 2 Fails and it looks very ugly when it does , Converted 3rd and longs and big play TDs man...

we just resigned BVG sooo i dont see us changing schemes so an Elite DE is what we needed imo....

The Key to playing Good Defense in Todays NFL is Non Stop , Relentless , and even an Angry Pass Rush.....

you dont believe me ?????

ask the Saints

I Hope you are right, but IMO unless we upgrade our pass rush and do it quick, we wont be in the playoffs man.

we have to get a pass rush from our front 4 or our Cover 2 Fails and it looks very ugly when it does , Converted 3rd and longs and big play TDs man...

we just resigned BVG sooo i dont see us changing schemes so an Elite DE is what we needed imo....

The Key to playing Good Defense in Todays NFL is Non Stop , Relentless , and even an Angry Pass Rush.....

ask the Saints

What part of non stop relentless and angry does Peppers fit? The man took entire games off, much less plays.

ask the Saints

no i agree that it starts on the trenches, and pass rush is the most important, but you dont go after a player who wants a ton of money and thats all he wants, he doesnt care about playoffs, just watch what he does for the bears this season, i guaranteee he gets atleast 8 sacks but thats jsut by playing minny GB and Detroit each twice,after that he might get 3/4 more sacks, wich is a good season but not when u get most ur sacks against three teams, and we will be in the playoffs because he are a young up and coming team with a franchise QB stellar offense, and a yound Defense that will suprise alot of people this year, i guarantee it