WR Seyi Ajirotutu

hawkeye

I wanted Antonio Brown but that might be out. But if you like Vincent Jackson or Malcom Floyd then you should

like Ajirotutu according to a former NFL coach. He turned some heads at the Combine too.

01/23/10 - West squad coach Marty Schottenheimer specifically mentioned Fresno State WR Seyi Ajirotutu as a prospect that stood out at East-West Shrine Game practices this week. Schottenheimer isn't the only one talking up Ajirotutu, who led the Bulldogs in receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns in 2009. "He reminds me a lot of Vincent Jackson or Malcom Floyd in San Diego," Schottenheimer said. "He is a big kid and can run like the wind. I’ve been very impressed by him." - KCChiefs.com

http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ajirotutu_seyi00.html

Read a scouting report about him and I am intrigued by this prospect and fits what we need in a #2 to develop, he reminds me of Jenkins but probably better able to fit for the ball than Jenkins.

Blessed with size, speed and the strength to compete for jump balls as well as block on the edge, Ajirotutu is an intriguing developmental talent who could reward a team willing to invest a mid- or late-round selection just as another former WAC standout, Legedu Naanee (Boise State), has for the San Diego Chargers.

Ironically, Ajirotutu signed with Fresno State over Boise State after earning MVP honors in leading Oak Ridge (Ca.) High School to the Sac-Joaquin Section Division II championship.

After redshirting in 2005 and seeing little time on the field in '06 (four catches for 34 yards), Ajirotutu emerged as a significant contributor as a sophomore, developing into a big-play threat with 29 catches for 491 yards (16.9 average). He led the team with 44 grabs for 714 yards and five touchdowns as a junior.

With defenses gearing up to slow All-American RB Ryan Matthews, Ajirotutu finished with a career-high 49 receptions for 677 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009 - leading the team and earning Ajirotutu second-team All-WAC honors from league coaches. He was also selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game.

Analysis

Release: At least moderate initial quickness and use of hands to avoid the jam at the line of scrimmage against press coverage. Smooth acceleration downfield, but is a bit of a long-strider who doesn't get to top-end speed immediately. Rare timed speed for a player of his size.

Hands: Soft hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame. Good concentration to make the reception in traffic. Times his leaps well to catch passes over defenders. Can track the ball over either shoulder.

Route running: Can drop his hips and shows some burst out of his breaks to gain separation, but needs to be more consistent in this area. Too often rounds off his routes and relies on his size and speed advantages to get open. Good exterior threat for the deep ball.

After the catch: Build-up speed is enough to pull away from defenders once he has the ball in his hands, but he lacks the agility and explosive acceleration to elude if he's not hit in stride. Has to do a better job of securing the ball (lost two fumbles as a senior).

Blocking: Good size, strength and toughness as a blocker. Appears to take his role as a blocker seriously. Not afraid to work his way toward the action for the seal block on the linebacker. Good effort downfield to stalk and sustain.

Intangibles: Reliable performer with 34 career starts (in 40 games). Competitive player at his best in one-on-one situations - i.e. jump balls and blocking on the edge. No known off-field issues or injury concerns, other than the ankle injury which sidelined him for much of the 2006 season.

Edited by Jaymadd

• 2 weeks later...