Cornerback Ratings

Fredmo

Here is a ranking of cornerbacks during the 2009 season by ProFootballFocus.com

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I thought this list was interesting because out of the 107 cornerbacks listed the Falcon cornerbacks are ranked: 46th (Chris Owens), 76th (Brent Grimes), 82nd (Chris Houston), and 85th (Brian Williams).

Another ranking I noticed was Dunta Robinson at 98th. (I'm all for whatever the Falcons decide to do with free agency, but I just thought this was an interesting ranking) I know that this list may not the be best way to look at the corners in the league, but what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Fredmo

Oh hey, Bodden at 14. And Philip Buchanon at 29 (and he just got cut). Not a perfect grading system.

OMG: Brent Grimes and D. Hall TIED! I wonder if I can pull up my old Grimes thread where I said he was better than Hall. (I believe I was called out of my mind... or something like that).

Edited by sporkdevil

As PFF's resident Falcon I'm actually okay with this move (despite what our ratings say)

Its important to look at things in context - we don't weight penalties and run support is treated as equal to coverage because we haven't got an interactive weighting system (when coverage is much more important). We always advise delving deeper instead of taking rankings at value.

Anyway Robinson wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make out last year (I watched every Texans game bar 2). He struggled initially but then he missed camp and was still bouncing back from a horrible injury. Also, he went one on one with a teams top receiver where a lot of others didn't. I think he's a solid number 1 cornerback - didn't get burnt all that often but didn't tackle well. If he holds up then him or Bodden were the only ways we were going to be able to upgrade our weakest areas.

It's overpaying because we need to upgrade.

Here is a ranking of cornerbacks during the 2009 season by ProFootballFocus.com

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I thought this list was interesting because out of the 107 cornerbacks listed the Falcon cornerbacks are ranked: 46th (Chris Owens), 76th (Brent Grimes), 82nd (Chris Houston), and 85th (Brian Williams).

Another ranking I noticed was Dunta Robinson at 98th. (I'm all for whatever the Falcons decide to do with free agency, but I just thought this was an interesting ranking) I know that this list may not the be best way to look at the corners in the league, but what are your thoughts on this?

There is not 97 CB's in the league that I'd take over Daunta. Pretty much my thoughts would be that I just lost respect for profootballfocus after even printing something like that. Yet a guy, Chris Owens, who has 5 starts is ranked 46th.

Robinson missed OTA's, Training camp,and the Preseason.... He got much better in the 2nd half of the season when he got in the grove.... I agree that he had a below average season..... He is not an average CB tho.... All that time he missed because of the hold out cost him in the first half of the season.