Pre-FA Mock Draft

hakim24

Free Agent Signings:

CB Dunta Robinson- One thing that really concerned me about drafting another young CB is that 4 of them will have less than 3 years of experience in the NFL. I just don’t think we can afford to have that much youth back there. It could be even worse if William Moore wins the SS job. That would mean that all 4 of our DBs would have less than 2 years of starting experience. I just don’t think TD will allow that.

Think about Leigh Bodden last year. He didn’t play well in Detroit and was released. He signed a small contract with the Patriots and really played like he had a chip on his shoulder. He was out to prove that he was/is a top CB in this league.

I think we have that EXACT same opportunity with Dunta Robinson. He had a down year and will hit the market. Some people may think he is going to get a huge pay day, but after the year he had, teams will be a little worried to pay him top dollar. His best bet is to take a similar path that Leigh Bodden took.

He is still a top talent and is one of the most physical CBs in the league. If he can get back to form, our secondary will be very much improved.

1 year 5 million contract with 2011 option of 8 Million a year.

1. OLB Sean Weatherspoon 6’2 239 Mizzou- Now that CB has been addressed in FA, a LOT of people want to go DE in the 1st round and I truly understand why. My issue with going DE is that we are probably going to be stuck with a player who is not an elite talent at his position. Weatherspoon is an elite talent at his position and will instantly make our defense better. He is a building block and that fiery leader that every great defense has.

How he fits in: Instant starter at WLB and gives us a future playmaker on a defense that is lacking these type guys. He is very vocal on the field and will make a great tandem with Lofton.

3. DE Greg Hardy 6’4 283 Ole Miss- Before I get crucified for this pick, you have to hear me out. In 2007, Hardy had 10 sacks and 18.5 TFL. In 2008, He only played 9 games and still collected 8.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL while playing through injuries. It is not like the 1st round attention he was getting was exclusively from athleticism and workout numbers.

He actually produced to the level of a 1st round talent, but unfortunately he had some injury problems. TD really seems to like to grab elite talents who drop because of some setbacks.

He definitely has some serious injury problems, but so do William Moore, Peria Jerry, and Sam Baker. The thing is, if these guys can stay healthy in the future, they can all be big-time players. Injury problems have not really scared TD away before.

He really has a LOT of potential as a LDE and could easily be the steal of the draft. Judging just by physical talent, he is probably more gifted than most of the DEs that are projected 1st Rounders. That is why I think it is a steal to get him here.

How he fits in: He will battle with Biermann, JA98, and Sidbury for a starting spot. We should have a very good group of DEs to build our future around with Biermann/Sidbury/Hardy.

3. C Matt Tennant 6’4 296 Boston College (Compensatory-Foxworth)- McClure has been a warrior, but it is time draft his replacement. Tennant fits what we need at C. He isn’t the biggest guy, but he is smart and definitely has some chemistry with Matt Ryan. I think that is probably the best part about bringing him in.

How he fits in: One year under McClure and he should be ready to take over in 2011.

4. WR Dezmon Briscoe 6’3 200 Kansas- Briscoe is quite simply one of the best WRs in the nation. He just does not get the recognition that he deserves. He is big, physical, and is GREAT after the catch. He doesn’t run a 4.3, but in pads, he is much faster than what most people give him credit for and definitely has a knack for making the big play.

How he fits in: I think he instantly takes over for Jenkins. He is just that good imo. Watch this video and get a better idea if you haven’t seen much of him.

4. OT Jason Fox 6’6 314 Miami (Compensatory-Boley)- Fox really has first day potential, but unfortunately it has become known that he has some heart issues. He also had major knee surgery at the end of the year. When healthy, however, he is probably one of the most well-rounded OT’s in this draft. I think we are getting another building block on our O-Line.

How he fits in: It really depends on his health. If he is ready to go, he could be our opening day starter at RT. If not, we still have Clabo.

5. CB Crezdon Butler 6’0 191 Clemson- Butler doesn’t get a lot of attention, but I think his upside is right up there with any CB in this draft. He ran a 4.41 at the combine and is a legit 6’0. If he can put it all together, he is going to be a very special player at the next level. In the first 5 games of this season, he was only thrown at 5 times. He broke up 3 of those passes, one was offensive pass interference, and the other was an incompletion. This guy really has “Shut Down” potential at the next level.

How he fits in: Butler has experience in both man and zone coverage. He has elite athleticism and speed. At the very least, he should compete for a NB job, but honestly, I think he can push Owens for the other starting spot opposite Robinson.

6. RB James Starks 6’2 215 Buffalo- Starks has missed this entire season, but he has a lot of upside at RB. He has very good speed, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and does a great job in pass protection. He may be a PS player early on, but I definitely feel like he has the potential of a #2 RB.

How he fits in: Probably a PS player, but I definitely would like him a little better than Snelling. I think he takes the place of Thomas Brown.

RDE: John Abraham/Lawrence Sidbury

NT: Peria Jerry/Thomas Johnson

UT: Jonathan Babinaeux/Jamaal Anderson

LDE: Greg Hardy/Kroy Biermann

WLB: Sean Weatherspoon/Mike Peterson

MLB: Curtis Lofton/Tony Gilbert

SLB: Stephen Nicholas/ Coy Wire

CB: Chris Owens/Crezdon Butler

CB: Dunta Robinson/Brian Williams/Chris Houston

FS: Thomas DeCoud/Erik Coleman

SS: William Moore/Antoine Harris

Offseason Outlook:

Defensively:

The additions of Peria Jerry and Greg Hardy should help improve our Pass Rush. Abraham should hopefully rebound from a down year and Sidbury/Biermann should both make strides.

Sean Weatherspoon is a building block and should instantly improve our defense. Lofton should also make some strides in his 3rd year.

Dunta Robinson will be a good veteran starter to add to a very young group.

Overall, this is BVG’s make-or-break year. This defense is much more talented and we should see major improvement.

Very nice well thought out draft. I'd be satisfied.

+1 Sir.

Preciate it.

Hate it. Don't like Weatherspoon in the first, don't like Hardy at all much less as early as the third, don't really like any pick at all. I'm not a dbag though so I won't -1 you. :P

preciate it.

i am pro this offseason. feeling the robinson signing, which seems like it may actually happen. love witherpsoon. Not high on hardy but i feel like we have the luxury of taking a chance on him. Like suring up the center position. Dont know much about the kansas WR, but his 6'3" frame has me excited already. nice work

Like the mock overall. Everybody wants a DE in the first but with Jerry's return a 3rd round DE will have the same impact as a 1st rounder with no Jerry; so why not use the 1st on a stud and the 3rd on a DE (which you did)

Good mock

i am pro this offseason. feeling the robinson signing, which seems like it may actually happen. love witherpsoon. Not high on hardy but i feel like we have the luxury of taking a chance on him. Like suring up the center position. Dont know much about the kansas WR, but his 6'3" frame has me excited already. nice work

I know you haven't seen much of Briscoe, but check out the video I put up for him. It will give you some idea of how he plays.

Like the mock overall. Everybody wants a DE in the first but with Jerry's return a 3rd round DE will have the same impact as a 1st rounder with no Jerry; so why not use the 1st on a stud and the 3rd on a DE (which you did)

Good mock

I agree.

haha sir I mock your mock.

1)Grahma

3rd- donavan warren

3)AJ Edds

4)Linval Joseph

Not Crazy about the hardy pick, why is eveyone so geeked about this kid?? Please explain. Personally, I'm a little geeked about Austin lane and the moment.

I understand the spoon pick but it scares me, I really think the OLB pick for us is AJ Edds. I don't know why. I just have a feeling.

I like your draft alot, but i really don't think that we go Spoon followed up by a DE--i just don't see us waiting that long to grab either an OLmen or offensive playmaker. I do like the value of Hardy--i think you can get him later, but the third makes sense too. If we could motivate a kid like Harvey, we could have a gem.

While Spoon is a very nice player, i don't think were that unhappy with our current LB corps. You always hear Smitty praise Nicholas' play, and talk how James and Adkins are progressing. I think a mid to late round LB pick is possible, but the overall #19 I really see either a "do it all" rb, wr or OL.

I love the Tennant pick.

Overall a nice draft.