Does UFA start at Midnight in like 5hours or......

g-dawg

Can someone please enlighten me? its confusing.....in years past I think it started at 12:01am on Saturday morning (meaning Friday night - LOL)......

Is it 12:01am Friday (meaning Tonight Late) this year? I'm so confused....I think its tonight this year :unsure: <_<:huh: :blink: :unsure:

has NFL ever given the rationale for the midnight start? would like to know why - its not intuitive to me.

Because its the next day. Its just like New Years. New Years eve is the 31st. But when the ball drops at 12 its officially the next day (January 1st). They dont choose to use midnight, its just because it is the day that FA starts.

I know what your saying but technically its tomorrow morning. But yes when the clock Tonight says 12:01 FA starts.

this is what I thought but in years past I remember it starting after the clock strikes midnight on Thursday - which means Friday morning at 12:00am.......correct? or did I just make this up? in years past it stated at 12:01am Saturday, right? i dunno.....

my head hurts.....

this is what I thought but in years past I remember it starting after the clock strikes midnight on Thursday - which means Friday morning at 12:00am.......correct? or did I just make this up? in years past it stated at 12:01am Saturday, right? i dunno.....

my head hurts.....

I dont think its a set date every year which is what might be confusing you. And yes midnight on thursday is really 12:00 am friday morning.

has NFL ever given the rationale for the midnight start? would like to know why - its not intuitive to me.

Because the official 2009 season by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and players signed contractually to that season ends on March 4th which would be tonight and the official start of the 2010 season begins on March 5th which would be midnight tonight with the start of free agency.

Because the official 2009 season by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and players signed contractually to that season ends on March 4th which would be tonight and the official start of the 2010 season begins on March 5th which would be midnight tonight with the start of free agency.

Otay!!!

buckwheat1245108680.jpegOTAY-Buckwheat.jpg

Edited by g-dawg

It's becaause the new "league year" starts on the 5th March.

Therefore, from midnight tonight the UFA's out of contract. Today is the last day of the 2009 league year and players' 2009 salaries and roster bonuses etc. still count againt the 2009 cap (hence the Dolphins couldn't cut Joey Porter 2 weeks ago, as they didn't have enough room under the 2009 cap to take the cap hit).

From tommorrow and the start of the 2010 league year, there is no cap. If it weren't an uncapped year, the player' 2010 salaries would count against the cap as from midnight tonight.

Yep and the 5th next year is on a Saturday. :lol: