A guard in the 1st actually makes sense

This hinges on Blalock.

Blalock played tackle in college. He very well may be the best right tackle on the team (even though we have been playing him at guard.)

Current lineup:

RT - Clabo

RG - Ojinaka

C - McClure

LG - Blalock

LT - Baker

Mike Iupati is rated the #14 player in the draft. But guards always drop a bit. He will be there are 19, in fact we could probably trade down a few spots pick up some extra picks and still get Mike Iupati. If we draft him our lineup would look like this:

RT - Blalock - upgraded over Clabo

RG - Clabo - more natural position, another upgrade

C - McClure

LG - Iupati - upgrade

LT - Baker

By drafting one player we dramaticly improve our offensive line.

Iupati is being talked about as a Steve Hutchinson type player. Not just above average, but a guard that dominates. We are a team that depends on having a dominant running game. This one move upgrades our o-line across the board for both rush blocking and pass blocking.

Yes, I know we "need" to go defense in the first, but if the defensive players on the board are all rated lower than Iupati, why reach? I'm not saying it is going to happen. The rumors are though, that the Falcons are scouting interior linemen pretty hard. If we're not looking at a guard in the 1st, the 3rd round is a definite possibility.

I like the thought process but I am not so sure it is based on hard, cold realities.

Iupati is a good OG, but several draft sites do not believe he is as good as has been advertised. I know that he is not close to Hutchinson. If he were, I would be on a soap box screaming for him.

Blalock is a major concern for me. He is the weakest link on our OL. I don't know whether he can slide out to RT. He allowed the most pressure and sacks along our OL.

I like the thought process but I am not so sure it is based on hard, cold realities.

Iupati is a good OG, but several draft sites do not believe he is as good as has been advertised. I know that he is not close to Hutchinson. If he were, I would be on a soap box screaming for him.

Blalock is a major concern for me. He is the weakest link on our OL. I don't know whether he can slide out to RT. He allowed the most pressure and sacks along our OL.

While I agree with your assessment, I like Rain's thought process as well.

Any ideas on other 1st round O-Linemen who are projected to be available with the 19th pick, which may better bring his idea into focus??

A lot of the stud O-Linemen are going real early. Some of the few who sounded good were OT Charles Davis of USC (I saw him in some mocks going around pick #23). Also Roger Saffold of Indiana (both of them are projected tackles) Maurkice Pouncey of Florida (who I like a lot also-he's versatile can play C/G). I have seen the name of Jon Asamoah of Illinois (G) but have heard nothing about him. If you want a guard I would take Pouncey in a NY minute.

Edited by stvmrz

Actually went to the Sporting News website, Pouncey is projected as a center, but Asamoah sounds really good as an OG prospect.

Jon Asamoah

G, Illinois

War Room analysis

Run blocking: Is strong, and blocks with good leverage at the point of attack. Can chip nose tackle, and then release and still reach middle linebacker with ease. Sustains blocks well on the second level and in the open field. Keeps hands inside defenders' frames. Works to the whistle. Shows the strength and drive to move the pile at the point of attack.

Pass blocking: Shows the strength to hold his ground against bull rushers and the quickness to kick outside to block defensive ends. Shows a strong hand punch. Slides well to mirror pass rushers' moves. When left uncovered, can dominate defensive linemen on side blocks. At times, is late to pickup stunts and delayed blitzes.

Initial quickness: Explodes from his stance at the snap. Rolls hips and uncoils upon contact with defender. When caught off-balance, shows the ability to recover quickly.

Strength: Has outstanding strength. Shows a violent hand punch to jolt defenders. Drop hips to hold his ground against bull rushers. Shows equal strength in upper and lower body.

Mobility: Shows outstanding mobility to pull and lead perimeter runs, although hasn't been asked to do it often in Illinois' spread offense. Gets out of stance quickly at the snap. Shows good balance, quickness and lower-body flexibility to make open-field blocks. At times, gets straight-legged and lazy with footwork.

Bottom line: Asamoah has outstanding size, athletic ability and strength and could become an NFL starter as a rookie. He doesn't really have a major weakness, equally adept as a run blocker and pass protector.

What's not to like?

I love your intention but this is one of those cases where the line wouldn't play better despite having better individual players at each spot. Basically the way I see it, TD and Mike Smith buy 100% into the concept of the OL getting better and better as a unit and their chemistry gets better...I don't see us replacing more than maybe one OL spot, that being RT.

I think most that don't like him, don't like him because he can't play LT. There was some talk early on about maybe making him an OT, but he wasn't going to cut it there, so some are dropping him because of it. I don't think real scouts & teams are going to do that.

I think most that don't like him, don't like him because he can't play LT. There was some talk early on about maybe making him an OT, but he wasn't going to cut it there, so some are dropping him because of it. I don't think real scouts & teams are going to do that.

The fact that he is a pure guard is why I thought we could trade down in the first (or even into the early 2nd) and still aquire him. At 19, probably the last of the "1st round" left tackles will still be on the board. Just as we traded up to aquire Baker, some team always trades up to get that last LT. I'm thinking we can trade down, grab another pick and still get the top guard in the draft.

Reading further, I see that there are a couple of late-round guys who might turn out pretty good. John Jerry, Peria's brother, and Mitch Petrus of Arkansas (was near the top in the bench press at the combine). Probably 5th round guys or later

The fact that he is a pure guard is why I thought we could trade down in the first (or even into the early 2nd) and still aquire him. At 19, probably the last of the "1st round" left tackles will still be on the board. Just as we traded up to aquire Baker, some team always trades up to get that last LT. I'm thinking we can trade down, grab another pick and still get the top guard in the draft.

They are rare, but elite guards can go in the 1st round. A lot of people think Iupati is in that elite category and is a 1st round pick. I don't think we'd get him if we traded down more than a spot or two.

This hinges on Blalock.

Blalock played tackle in college. He very well may be the best right tackle on the team (even though we have been playing him at guard.)

Current lineup:

RT - Clabo

RG - Ojinaka

C - McClure

LG - Blalock

LT - Baker

Mike Iupati is rated the #14 player in the draft. But guards always drop a bit. He will be there are 19, in fact we could probably trade down a few spots pick up some extra picks and still get Mike Iupati. If we draft him our lineup would look like this:

RT - Blalock - upgraded over Clabo

RG - Clabo - more natural position, another upgrade

C - McClure

LG - Iupati - upgrade

LT - Baker

By drafting one player we dramaticly improve our offensive line.

Iupati is being talked about as a Steve Hutchinson type player. Not just above average, but a guard that dominates. We are a team that depends on having a dominant running game. This one move upgrades our o-line across the board for both rush blocking and pass blocking.

Yes, I know we "need" to go defense in the first, but if the defensive players on the board are all rated lower than Iupati, why reach? I'm not saying it is going to happen. The rumors are though, that the Falcons are scouting interior linemen pretty hard. If we're not looking at a guard in the 1st, the 3rd round is a definite possibility.

I don't disagree with your thought process at all. I'm not sure it's a guard or T were after--the retaining of both Clabo and Dahl was interesting. I'm wondering if we aren't getting an OC. Pouncey or Tennant, maybe? Although i like where your thoughts are.