Can somebody please explain to me the love affair with Sean Weatherspoon?

Kayoh

I don't understand why everybody thinks he's so great. I've watched some tape of him and he plays soft, he gets washed out, he's terrible at shedding blocks...I just don't get why everybody loves him so much.

This isn't an "I HATE SEAN WEATHERSPOON" thread because apparently he's a popular guy, I just want to understand why so many people want us to draft him. Help me out?

I don't understand why everybody thinks he's so great. I've watched some tape of him and he plays soft, he gets washed out, he's terrible at shedding blocks...I just don't get why everybody loves him so much.

This isn't an "I HATE SEAN WEATHERSPOON" thread because apparently he's a popular guy, I just want to understand why so many people want us to draft him. Help me out?

Trust me dude this thread will get you no where, been there done that. I agree that his weakness is in his run support, I dont know about the soft part, but I do think he has trouble shedding blocks, disengaging from blocks and does get pushed back when run at, but if he can roam free then he is a beast against the run.

there is a love affair because of the fact he is excellent against the pass, a natural leader, who will always be around the ball. i really cant see his problem with shedding blocks, he will try to beat the block and get to the ball carrier without contact first but that doesnt mean he cant shed blocks. him or graham would be my favourite first round picks

there is a love affair because of the fact he is excellent against the pass, a natural leader, who will always be around the ball. i really cant see his problem with shedding blocks, he will try to beat the block and get to the ball carrier without contact first but that doesnt mean he cant shed blocks. him or graham would be my favourite first round picks

He actually struggles shedding blocks, which is why he prefers to get around blocks.

This is just my opinion... DE and CB have a higher Percent of being Busts compared to OLB if we draft spoon he'll probably start next season compared to brandon graham or kyle wilson don't get me wrong i think they are both good players but if you want to go for the higher percentage pick, spoon is your man..

He, just like every prospect in the draft, has a weakness in his game. He doesn't shed blocks great, but he definitely isn't terrible at it. It is just something that he will improve on.

Despite not being the greatest guy when it comes to taking on O-Lineman, he is still elite when it comes to getting to the ball carrier behind the LOS. This is evident by his 33.0 TFL in just two seasons. D-Lineman would kill for those numbers.

He is great in coverage and although he isn't a 3-4 rush type LB, he still is an effective blitzer.

He is probably going to be the safest pick available and should be a leader on our defense for years.

Edited by hakim24

Honestly, I feel like this is such a weak OLB class that people are willing to settle for a guy like Weatherspoon, even though some of the top LBs in other draft classes would've made Weatherspoon look like a 3rd round pick, if that.

If you don't see what I'm talking about when I say that he plays soft and can't shed blocks well, watch some tape on Aaron Curry from his senior year at Wake. He was a man that could shed a block. As could all three USC backers from last season. Who struggled with shedding blocks? James Laurinitis. How has he been doing in the NFL? Case and point. The year before, the guys who struggled with breaking blocks were Jordon Dizon and Dan Connor. Anyways, the point is block shedding is one of the most important aspects of being a LB. C Loft is GREAT at it. Stephen Nicholas is alright, but he does struggle every now and then, especially against the more agile linemen and/or tight ends, as well. They both know how to use their hands to break the block and get to the ball, though. Peterson is great at getting low and using his leverage to break/avoid blocks as well, but his age is the main concern as far as he goes.

Anyways, just thought I'd present my point of view.

Trust me dude this thread will get you no where, been there done that. I agree that his weakness is in his run support, I dont know about the soft part, but I do think he has trouble shedding blocks, disengaging from blocks and does get pushed back when run at, but if he can roam free then he is a beast against the run.

Gun Damit the -1 have started again. Who got me this time LOL

It's a deep class. I could live with Washington from TCU, who apparently is highly regarded by Mike Mayock (who seems to have quite a reputation for being an astute judge of talent) or almost any of these OLB/DE's. Lot of talent this year.

It's a deep class. I could live with Washington from TCU, who apparently is highly regarded by Mike Mayock (who seems to have quite a reputation for being an astute judge of talent) or almost any of these OLB/DE's. Lot of talent this year.

Daryl Washington is a solid prospect. I also like Georgia LB Rennie Curran. He played MLB at Georgia but he's too small to play MLB in the NFL, he'd be a perfect fit for us at WLB.

Daryl Washington is a solid prospect. I also like Georgia LB Rennie Curran. He played MLB at Georgia but he's too small to play MLB in the NFL, he'd be a perfect fit for us at WLB.

I have been a 'Spoon proponent but Daryl Washington is really rising on ol' g-dawg's board. If I could trade back into 2nd round, garner another high pick and take D-Wash instead - I would.

Hes an athletic, accomplished linebacker. LBs are the safest picks in the draft, and chances r this guy will be a solid nfl player, not a bust. He has weaknesses, but he also has some amazing upside. I think hes a much safer pick than kyle wilson or and of the DEs

If we get a Lber in the first , Not to mention any names , But his initials are GRAHAM!!! One that can be a Sack man. I'm pushing for this guy. I hope he's still there at 19. He's the real thing , we would finially have a DE with a quick twitch. Like Abraham but younger. He reminds me of Dwight Freny much more than Abe.

If we get a Lber in the first , Not to mention any names , But his initials are GRAHAM!!! One that can be a Sack man. I'm pushing for this guy. I hope he's still there at 19. He's the real thing , we would finially have a DE with a quick twitch. Like Abraham but younger. He reminds me of Dwight Freny much more than Abe.

Hurrayyyyyy, Draftnut and I are on the same page! :wub:

Honestly, I feel like this is such a weak OLB class that people are willing to settle for a guy like Weatherspoon, even though some of the top LBs in other draft classes would've made Weatherspoon look like a 3rd round pick, if that.

If you don't see what I'm talking about when I say that he plays soft and can't shed blocks well, watch some tape on Aaron Curry from his senior year at Wake. He was a man that could shed a block. As could all three USC backers from last season. Who struggled with shedding blocks? James Laurinitis. How has he been doing in the NFL? Case and point. The year before, the guys who struggled with breaking blocks were Jordon Dizon and Dan Connor. Anyways, the point is block shedding is one of the most important aspects of being a LB. C Loft is GREAT at it. Stephen Nicholas is alright, but he does struggle every now and then, especially against the more agile linemen and/or tight ends, as well. They both know how to use their hands to break the block and get to the ball, though. Peterson is great at getting low and using his leverage to break/avoid blocks as well, but his age is the main concern as far as he goes.

Anyways, just thought I'd present my point of view.

:blink:

Aaron Curry was underwhelming as a rookie, and Rams fans are excited they finally have an MLB they can build a good defense around. Laurinaitis had a much better season than Curry, especially considering where both went in the draft...

Weatherspoon has been an AMAZING college player and has exactly the type of skills and mindset to be a great NFL LB. Anyone who thinks shedding blocks is 'one of the most important' attributes for a LB is :wacko: With a bit of coaching, im sure this can be rectified quite easily after benching the 225 34 times lol His upper body strength is freakish and im sure leverages can be coached... If an OG gets his hands on a LB, he will usually win the battle. Thats the importance of decent DT play...

How does a guys run defense get so beaten up when he had 45+ TFL? :blink: Anyone wanting to call me a stats guy can, cos its one stat that is true to form. He diagnoses the play, proceeds to the ball carrier and then takes him down. Simple really.

Did i mention Weatherspoons prowess in coverage? Something none of our LB's are any good at? :ph34r:

Is Robinson signed yet? If so, im on the 'Spoon bandwagon. With good CB and OLB play, hopefully the DL can reach the QB now...

Edited by d#d#d#

:blink:

Aaron Curry was underwhelming as a rookie, and Rams fans are excited they finally have an MLB they can build a good defense around. Laurinaitis had a much better season than Curry, especially considering where both went in the draft...

Weatherspoon has been an AMAZING college player and has exactly the type of skills and mindset to be a great NFL LB. Anyone who thinks shedding blocks is 'one of the most important' attributes for a LB is :wacko: With a bit of coaching, im sure this can be rectified quite easily after benching the 225 34 times lol His upper body strength is freakish and im sure leverages can be coached... If an OG gets his hands on a LB, he will usually win the battle. Thats the importance of decent DT play...

How does a guys run defense get so beaten up when he had 45+ TFL? :blink: Anyone wanting to call me a stats guy can, cos its one stat that is true to form. He diagnoses the play, proceeds to the ball carrier and then takes him down. Simple really.

Did i mention Weatherspoons prowess in coverage? Something none of our LB's are any good at? :ph34r:

Is Robinson signed yet? If so, im on the 'Spoon bandwagon. With good CB and OLB play, hopefully the DL can reach the QB now...

IMO, linebacker is no less a position of need than it was last year. In addition, this post makes a good case for Weatherspoon being a good player to fill that need. If it were our only consideration regarding position of need on defense or we had another pick in the 1st or 2nd rounds, you would have sold me already.

However, we have another large area of need on defense as well. D.E is huge, IMO....We are simply not getting adequate pressure on the opposing Q.B. from our front four. Blitzing has become a necessity, which in turn hangs our coverage out to dry. The LDE position has not been consistent and this may very well be Abraham's last year with us, leaving me to think hard about RDE. Maybe Sid and Kroy will be bigger contributors there in the future, maybe not. The fact remains, we need help there now.

Having said all of this, my question with the Weatherspoon pick has nothing to do with a love or hate of the player. It comes down to this, there are quality linebackers in this draft which should be available to us in the 3rd round. Names like Washington, Watson, Edds, Bowman, just to name a few. This positional need can be filled with quality in the 3rd round, IMO.

Not so for the D.E. position. Morgan, Graham, Griffen, et.al., are also quality players at D.E., though none are projected to make it out of the 2nd round. Since we don't seem likely to fill this position outside of the 2nd round (and we only have 1 pick in the first two rounds combined) with an impact player, this leaves us with our 1st round pick to get this need addressed in the draft.

If not through the draft (due to the Weatherspoon pick), and since we will likely not sign an impact F/A at this position, that leaves a trade or going with what we had last year at D.E....IMO, that is unacceptable.

Therefore, it seems our choices are that we can take Weatherspoon, thus filling one need for certain or we could take Morgan, Graham or Griffen and one of the many quality linebackers available in the 3rd and fill both needs. If these are my choices, I lean toward the second choice.

IMO, linebacker is no less a position of need than it was last year. In addition, this post makes a good case for Weatherspoon being a good player to fill that need. If it were our only consideration regarding position of need on defense or we had another pick in the 1st or 2nd rounds, you would have sold me already.

However, we have another large area of need on defense as well. D.E is huge, IMO....We are simply not getting adequate pressure on the opposing Q.B. from our front four. Blitzing has become a necessity, which in turn hangs our coverage out to dry. The LDE position has not been consistent and this may very well be Abraham's last year with us, leaving me to think hard about RDE. Maybe Sid and Kroy will be bigger contributors there in the future, maybe not. The fact remains, we need help there now.

Having said all of this, my question with the Weatherspoon pick has nothing to do with a love or hate of the player. It comes down to this, there are quality linebackers in this draft which should be available to us in the 3rd round. Names like Washington, Watson, Edds, Bowman, just to name a few. This positional need can be filled with quality in the 3rd round, IMO.

Not so for the D.E. position. Morgan, Graham, Griffen, et.al., are also quality players at D.E., though none are projected to make it out of the 2nd round. Since we don't seem likely to fill this position outside of the 2nd round (and we only have 1 pick in the first two rounds combined) with an impact player, this leaves us with our 1st round pick to get this need addressed in the draft.

If not through the draft (due to the Weatherspoon pick), and since we will likely not sign an impact F/A at this position, that leaves a trade or going with what we had last year at D.E....IMO, that is unacceptable.

Therefore, it seems our choices are that we can take Weatherspoon, thus filling one need for certain or we could take Morgan, Graham or Griffen and one of the many quality linebackers available in the 3rd and fill both needs. If these are my choices, I lean toward the second choice.

Good point and also positional value needs to be weighed in the decision, and DE always ranks higher than OLB in our scheme which means that a good DE will have more value than a great LB

Yep.

TD talked about curing secondary problems and curing pass rushing problems. We are about to sign Robinson and next order of business is to draft Graham at 19.

Good point and also positional value needs to be weighed in the decision, and DE always ranks higher than OLB in our scheme which means that a good DE will have more value than a great LB

A great lineman will always have more value than a great skill position player, although the salaries don't reflect it. Only a great QB is worth more than a great lineman.