Georgia, Texas after Waisome

Georgia, Texas after Waisome

Shurburtt By JC Shurburtt

ESPN Recruiting

Archive

ESPN

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Cornerback Nick Waisome (Groveland, Fla./South Lake), who has already been named to the roster for the 2011 Under Armour All-America Game, is attracting a few new, big-name suitors.

Nick Waisome runs a 4.5 second 40-yard dash.

Georgia recently offered and Texas, which rarely even sniffs out-of-state prospects, is showing some interest.

"I've been talking to Texas, and Georgia actually just offered me," Waisome said. "I've spoken with [bulldogs defensive backs coach] Scott Lakatos and my recruiter [uGA running backs coach Willie McClendon]. That's a school I am very interested in."

Waisome also had positive things to say about the interest from the Longhorns.

"It's a great opportunity to get interest from them," Waisome said. "It's a real good school and they send a lot of defensive backs to the league. It's something I want to look into. They have great history and tradition and they always have a chance to get a [championship] ring."

Southern California also has been showing some interest, along with North Carolina and Louisville. The Cardinals and former Florida assistant coach Vance Bedford, who developed a good relationship with Waisome when he was with the Gators, are expected to be big factors.

"I've been talking to Louisville a lot more since they offered," Waisome said.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder plans to check out some programs this spring and summer. He also will attend more combines. At this point, he is in no hurry to make a final decision.

"I plan to go to some campuses and maybe camp at some schools," he said.

Georgia and South Carolina have issued early verbal offers for Class of 2012 running back Matt Jones (Seffner, Fla./Armwood). "I really like Georgia and South Carolina," Jones said. "I grew up a Bulldogs fan along with some of my friends. They have great facilities and the academic situation up there is great. They help you get it right."

Edited by matt marshall