Gaither - 1st round tender

I'm not much of one for restricted free-agents - and I never post "Bring him home TD"... BUT Gaither - ONLY a first round tender?

He is one of the best LT in the league and only 24 years old. I'd love to get him and move Baker to RT... Our line would improve 100% from that alone.

Final icing on the cake is both of our right lineman - Clabo and Dahl got 1st round tenders... I'd LOVE for one of them to leave and basically we would get a 1st in return - that would be a great upgrade.

Now - I know it won't happen - but I wish it could.

The fact that he has proven that he can perform well against professional competition makes Gaither undeniably more appealling than any of the OTs that might be available when the Falcons pick in the 1st (Davis, Campbell). I don't think, however, he would play LT in the ATL. He played there last season for the Ravens while rookie Michael Oher got his feet wet on the right side, but ultimately I think they will flip those two, as Gaither is more a pure, road grading, mauler type than Oher, though both possess particularly nimble feet for big men. Either could play LT for the Falcons, but no way does Baker project to the right side in our power-based scheme, and TD committed to him with a decent rookie contract just 2 seasons ago.

If TD decides not to go defense with the 1st round pick, OT is the #1 position on the offense I would like to see improved, and if all it takes is a decent contract and a 1st round pick, Gaither seems like an excellent choice.

Adding Gaither could bump Clabo to the position I think he could be ideally suited for--as a swing tackle (ala Todd Weiner) that could also bump down inside and provide quality depth at Gaurd. After 2010, Clabo and Dahl would both be eligible for UFA, and the FO could look at the foursome of Clabo/Dahl/Ojinaka/Reynolds and determine which 2 should stay (RG starter and a quality OL reserve).

I'm not much of one for restricted free-agents - and I never post "Bring him home TD"... BUT Gaither - ONLY a first round tender?

He is one of the best LT in the league and only 24 years old. I'd love to get him and move Baker to RT... Our line would improve 100% from that alone.

Final icing on the cake is both of our right lineman - Clabo and Dahl got 1st round tenders... I'd LOVE for one of them to leave and basically we would get a 1st in return - that would be a great upgrade.

Now - I know it won't happen - but I wish it could.

Hate to bust your bubble but I live in Baltimore, I watch all the Falcons games every week at a bar filled with Ravens fans. Jared Gaither is not even close to being one of the best tackles in the league. He was benched last year for multiple games due to shotty performance. He is also injury prone. NO WAY would I EVER give up a first for Gaither!

Edited by matty72780

I agree with everything you said... He would be an OUTSTANDING RT - but overall I just think he is better than Baker... I'd be happy for Gaither to play either - he is upgrade on either side.

If TD has ANY thought at all of drafting a 1st round T - Gaither is the better choice I'm willing to bet.

But - again - I doubt we pick a T this year.

I agree with everything you said... He would be an OUTSTANDING RT - but overall I just think he is better than Baker... I'd be happy for Gaither to play either - he is upgrade on either side.

If TD has ANY thought at all of drafting a 1st round T - Gaither is the better choice I'm willing to bet.

But - again - I doubt we pick a T this year.

I dont agree with him being better than Baker. Baker was injured for a few games and is still very young, give the guys a chance man, geesh! I'm not sure what you are basing Gaither being such a good tackle on but from my perspective here in Baltimore.

Gaither has been benched multiple times due to poor play, he aparently cant grasp what his job on the field is, and he's injury prone (2 years in the league, and 2 injuries).

Gaither is is NOT worth anything close to a first round pick...